Steve Bannon says Catholic Church has "economic interest" in "unlimited illegal immigration"

Interesting that anybody thinks importing millions into the US to live their high carbon lifestyle is going to do anything positive about climate change. Do you think people are coming to the US to use less carbon?

I don’t find non sequiturs interesting.

So are Americans and our needs are being ignored in favor of immigrants. Our labor market has been made extremely unstable due to immigrants.

A number of things has caused instability in the labor market - not the least of which are a concerted effort by the GOP to eliminate collective bargaining; a financial banking meltdown; and the disruption of technological advancement. Any problem to the stability of the labor market by immigrants is way, way down on the list - and is virtual at most.

I’d write this out, but I think this video explains why America workers are struggling.

I find cognitive dissonance fascinating.

Bannon is tired looking and old but quite clear in stating his Catholic Faith is apart from his observance that Catholic Hierarchy is acting politically and fiscally to maintain a flow of immigrants to fill pews.

You should use the NABRE or the RSV-CE

That’s a whole other debate, LOL.

Catholic Schools use the NRSV, plus the Bishops write their textbook and curriculum, so I usually trust that version

There are lots of liberals who don’t like what the Church teaches either. You are like them - picking and choosing which parts to complain about.

The NABRE is what is posted on the CCB website. It is a more dynamic translation & has great notes. But whichever you prefer is fine as long as it’s approved by the Bishops.

and, there are some cough Left Leaning “Liberals” cough that like what the Church Teaches, and cough practice it.

I won’t disagree the GOP Is terrible. Unions are terrible too. But decades of illegals have pushed down wages not just for blue collar workers but for white collar workers.

The Church doesn’t have a clear position on this issue. Certain members of the clergy and Hierarchy have expressed their opinions and while perfectly free to hold whatever political beliefs they want, they are still bound to support those positions without using out-of-context Scripture and historical revisionism if they expect people to agree with or even respect those opinions.

Jesus put it on the list, which pretty much settles the issue…

Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.’

Then they will answer and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?’ He will answer them, ‘Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.’ And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Matthew 25: 41-46

Invalid comparison. Past waves of immigrants were predominantly European, carefully vetted, spaced out, and expected to assimilate. None of that applies to the current situation.

I cannot speak for NuclearReceptor but I am not looking forward to the prospect of whites becoming minorities in our own countries.

Given that illegal aliens are less educated and more likely to use welfare, they are natural constituency for the Left, (see the Cloward-Piven Strategy) hence the reason they want to give them amnesty.

A couple of remarks:
Today’s Mass reading told us we are to love our neighbors. Okay, but then the question arises: just who are our neighbors? Is someone from the other side of the border just as important as someone who lives on my street? Who decides? I think the family next to me and the families down my street are more important that anybody from across the way. But then we are all descended from immigrants, but that must be taken with the frame that our ancestors came here legally. As opposed to illegally. I’m okay with immigration in general, but we need a more sane policy to deal with them in a manner that honors the American worker.

It’s difficult for me to reconcile the admission of so many legal and illegal immigrants at the same time we have over 90 million adult Americans not in the work force and we are admitting 4 million new American entries to that work force every year from high school and college. Who decides?

Finally … I’ve worked in Minnesota and come to realize the part that many Christian and Catholic agencies have taken enormous sums from the federal government to aid in resettling refugees around our country. It’s not only Catholic Charities but also other agencies from the Lutherans, Episcopalian and Methodist denominations … for all of these, refugee resettlement funds are a huge cash cow that I’m sure they are not only unwilling to let it go, they may even be lobbying their religious leaders to keep it going. Follow the money, in other words …

I’m sure Jesus didn’t mean our neighbors were people exactly just like us and others not so much.

I trust Cardinal Dolan in this issue to get what Jesus would want more than Steve Bannon. Some one said past immigrants were vetted more thoroughly. Many coming through the ports of entry like Ellis island weren’t even issued the correct spelling of their last name. They didn’t have a thorough vetting process like one would get applying for a green card currently.

I have nothing to say on this matter ----

---- except —

I’m patiently waiting on the Church to quit dickering over caveats , and accounting hair-splitting, embrace the stranger, and issue me Vatican City State citizenship and a Vatican City State passport.

I promise I’ll be a good , loyal, loving citizen. Where do i sign?

At that time I might have something to say on the matter. :smiley:

Are you a priest or religious working at the Holy See?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.