Steve Keenan and the Sabbath

I was reading an Adventist blog on the Sabbath recently (blog.proofdirectory.org/2014/07/pope-sunday/), and in the blog the poster cited a quote from Steve Keenan to attempt to prove that the Catholic Church changed the Sabbath.

Question: Have you any other way of proving that the Church has power to institute festivals of precept? Answer: Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her; she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday, the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday, the seventh day; a change for which there is no Scriptural authority.” Steven Keenan’s Doctrinal Catechism.

So I thought I would do some research on it.

Turns out, even when searching for the book, although I did find some obscure printouts, most of the results were from sabbatarian websites. In fact, I even discovered that one of the pdfs of the book that was online came from a sabbatarian website.

I feel there is something fishy here… is there?

The Church did not “change the Sabbath,” as you put it. There is much on the Catholic Answers site about observing the Lord’s Day, which is very much Biblical, described in the New Testament.

Well sabbatarians do attempt to quote Catholic authorities in order to say the Church did change the Sabbath, and we need to interact with that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.