Steve McVey...what do you make of this guy?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, I apologize if not.

I recently sponsored a young man in RCIA who entered the Church this last Easter. He comes from an Evangelical Free background, and his father is now trying to get him to see the error of his ways. As a result, he has given him a book by Steve McVey called Grace Walk. The two of us have decided to work together on this, and he is reading another book so I took up Grace Walk.

I’m about half way through the book, and it’s one of those things that seems OK at first, not particularly objectionable, but the further I get into it, the worse it gets. In my view, McVey seems to really “gloss over” a TON of scripture while on his way to condemning what he calls “legalism”. Almost to the point where he seems to be saying that sin is bad, but it’s really not that big of a deal since we’re “reborn to Christ” so sinning is simply not in our nature…even though we are inclined to do it…

Meh. It’s feeling pretty much like the least Christian thing I’ve read. Heck, I read a Baptist pastor review of the book and even HE slams the guy.

Was just wanting a Catholic’s perspective or insight or opinion of McVey’s teaching. Google search turned up nothing, so I figured I’d ask you guys.

Pax.

In much of Evangelicalism, the term “legalism” is often used to squirm out of a command from God. "I’m under grace, man. Obeying rules is “legalism!” is something I hear a million times over from Evangelical friends. The problem with this outlook is it makes God’s grace out to be a license for disobeying him. The trick writers like this use is to claim that obedience (What they call “Legalism”) is somehow spiritually oppressive. Grace and obedience go hand in hand, but of course, that’s not Evangelical teaching. I hope this helps.

Some of the people at Catholic Answers HQ are former evangelicals, if memory serves. (I’m starting to have memory troubles, but I’m pretty sure they do have some former evangelicals on staff.) Give 'em a call. I’ll bet they’d be glad to give you some good advice for helping your friend stay in the Church. God bless you and your friend!

Could I suggest that you and this recent convert visit the priest of your parish and seek his help with this. Many times the families of those who convert will try to do exactly what you said, make him see the errors of his ways. Reading books that are not written by Catholics does not seem like a good idea. Recently I read a very interesting book that might be more encouraging, Why I Like Being Catholic.

Oh, I agree. The book he’s reading now is “the Protestand Dillema” by a convert to Catholicism. I’m not worried about him renouncing his conversion (it’s a long story, but suffice to say, he’s solid about his faith), I’m more concerned with his ability to lovingly evangelize his father. Also, I think it’s a good exercise for the both of us to go through. It gives me a chance to stretch my Apologetic muscles, which have been dormant for some time.

Thanks for your suggestions!

-Pax

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.