Steven Seagal says he may run for Ariz. governor

PHOENIX (AP) – Action-movie star Steven Seagal says he is considering a run for Arizona governor.
The “Marked for Death” actor told KNXV-TV that he is considering a shot at the state’s highest office and has had a talk about the bid with the self-proclaimed toughest sheriff in America.
The 61-year-old made the comments while talking about his newly released reality series “Steven Seagal - Lawman: Maricopa County.”
Seagal teamed up with Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio for the show that was shot in Arizona and airs on cable TV’s Reelz Channel.
The martial arts expert is a member of Arpaio’s posse, made up of 3,000 unpaid civilians. He also has been deputized with sheriff’s offices in New Mexico, Texas and Louisiana and says he wants to increase border security.

tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=845778

That is interesting.

Steve Seagal is a third rate actor who is a publicity slut. He will do and/or say anything for publicity. I find it interesting he proposes to run for office in an area that is largely made up of bedroom communities in which voters are not too concerned with local politics. Their vote is mostly a rubber stamp for low taxes, the status quo, and is anti-latino.

Why not? If Jesse Ventura can become the Gov. of Minnesota and Arnold Schwarzenegger the Gov. of California (as well as fellow actor Ronald Reagan, who went on to even bigger things), then why can’t Steven Seagal run for Governor? Sheriff Joe Arpaio will no doubt add to his appeal since he is, to put it mildly, a colorful and controversial figure himself. In fact, there is enough material in Joe Arpaio’s life for a book or two as well as a film.

Joe Arpaio is 81 years old, so his time in office must be drawing to a close. I would think that Seagal, given his movie persona, would be a shoo-in for Arpaio’s seat in the next election.

How many times has Steven Seagal been accused of sexual harassment?

I swear that man thinks he is Above the Law.

This is getting very old. Unless any of these quasi celebrities throw their hat into the ring and actually run for office, then this is a complete non story. Just like Donald Trump - they want any publicity they can get.

“Seagal is well connected in Russia. He met with Russian President Vladimir Putin in March, and last week paid a visit to Ramzan Kadyrov, the strongman who rules Chechnya, a province in southern Russia that has seen two brutal wars between federal troops and Chechen separatists since 1994,” noted an Associated Press account of the event.

washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2013/jun/3/celebrity-diplomat-steven-seagal-lends-republicans

flickr.com/photos/gageskidmore/sets/72157631868053319/detail

Considering that Joe Arpaio and Steven Seagal were photographed speaking to each other at the Arizona Republican Fall Festival it seems Steven Seagal would run as a Republican.

:rotfl::bowdown2::rolleyes:

True.

Some years ago, an author who wrote a book on SNL said that when Seagal hosted, he suggested as a possible skit as that of a woman who had been sexually assaulted have the psychiatrist/counselor treating her himself try to sexually assault her again. Needless to say, that did not go over well with the cast as possible “funny” material for a skit. :bigyikes::dts:

Yep. Disquieting, to say the least.

Has Gov. Brewer indicated that she is about to step down?

I don’t think she has announced yet. However, she is running out of time. The election is this year, and to qualify she will need successful court challenge to the state law on term limits. AFAIK, she hasn’t even filed that challenge.

well, I live in Arizona and if steven seagal has any skeletons in the closet, they will be brought out because politics in this state can be pretty dirty.

I myself have not seen the show he has been filming in Maricopa county.

like another poster said, Ronald Reagan became president, jesse ventura a governor and the guy who played the snl character stuart smiley is a current congressman and sonny bono of sonny and cher fame was also elected. so who knows.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.