"Stifle the Mother..."

Dear All,

The phrase which is the title of this thread is from an article by Fr. Rutler, whom some of you may know from EWTN. I was so moved by his article I shared it with my husband and Thomas suggested I post it on our blog. I did, and I invite you to read this article, [HERE]("http://renewthechurch.wordpress.com/2013/07/02/stifle-the-mother/"). I'd be grateful for your comments, either on the blog itself or in this thread.

It is a brief article; I simply introduce it and make some concluding comments. It is well worth the time to read what Fr. Rutler has to say. I'm now praying over a possible follow-up article after pondering his insights, and the stunning parallels he presents.

Beautiful article, thank you for sharing! :slight_smile:

The part about the woman who talks about feeling the end of her baby’s life really disturbed me :frowning:

WOW!!! So true… So very true… Thanks for sharing, God Bless!

Thanks for the link. It was a good read about a difficult and distressing subject.

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta said that no one is safe around a mother who would kill her own child.

thank you,i have sent the link to over fifty pro-life orgs and people

Thank you for sharing…

Teresa

My only argument with this article would be these comments:

“Blessed Teresa of Calcutta said that no one is safe around a mother who would kill her own child. Anyone who makes a Faustian bargain knows that even Christ is not safe around such a mother: “Inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me” (Matthew 25:40). Satan calls evil good. Christ calls it crucifixion.”

Sorry-but I think this is a cruel and unnecessary comment. Please put yourselves in the shoes of a post abortive mother, reread that comment, and ask yourself if that woman would feel she could ever approach your parish for help, or for that matter…Fr. Rutler’s confessional.

One in Three women has had an abortion by the time she reaches her mid forties. Sad, horrible, and true. Ask yourself if you could be Jesus to her while you are passing around this link.

That “One in Three” may be sitting in a the pew next to you. Try a little mercy folks.

yes, Blessed Teresa of Calcutta has a well deserved reputation for cruelty as does Father Rutler. :rolleyes:

Thank you for sharing that MariaChristi. Those quotes reminded me of how the devil always tries to disguise himself as something good. Lord Jesus, have mercy on us all!

Great article, and so true. Your concluding comments were very moving!

Our Lady is the Mother and Model for all of us. Blessed John Paul II said that if we neglect His Mother we will not long after neglect her Son. The evil one would like nothing better than to “stifle the Mother”

So, so true! I can’t help but think that Mary to a large degree today, has been neglected. Too many Catholics today don’t even appear to give her much attention at all. These are some sad times indeed. But…these words of hers always seem to comfort me and reassure me;*** “In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph”~ Our Lady of Fatima, July 13, 1917*** …Peace To You MariaChristi!

*** Mark***

Great article, and so true. Your concluding comments were very moving!

Our Lady is the Mother and Model for all of us. Blessed John Paul II said that if we neglect His Mother we will not long after neglect her Son. The evil one would like nothing better than to “stifle the Mother”

So, so true! I can’t help but think that Mary to a large degree today, has been neglected. Too many Catholics today don’t even appear to give her much attention at all. These are some sad times indeed. But…these words of hers always seems to comfort me and reassure me;*** “In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph”~ Our Lady of Fatima, July 13, 1917****…Peace To You MariaChristi!*

*** Mark***

Dear Mark,

Thanks for reading the article and for your love for Mary. Yes, her Immaculate Heart will triumph, in the end. In the meantime, by God’s Grace, may we be faithful sons and daughters of so noble a Mother.

Dear WaitingForJesus,

Thanks for your reply. The evil one is cunning – he knows to present what seems good to us. He is always tempting us to do evil for he seeks our destruction and not our good. May we learn to seek God’s Grace with ever growing faith to resist whatever his temptations may be.

Mary, Mother of all, pray for us.
Jesus we trust in you.

Sarcasm does nothing to address my point. Just because Blessed Teresa said it, doesn’t make it “infallible”.

I do not feel unsafe around post abortive women. Do You?

When we can callously toss around comments that could serve to inflict further injury upon already broken souls…I think a little introspection is called for.

How about a little balance-This from Blessed John Paul-The Gospel of Life paragraph 99"

I would now like to say a special word to women who have had an abortion. The Church is aware of the many factors which may have influenced your decision, and she does not doubt that in many cases it was a painful and even shattering decision. The wound in your heart may not yet have healed. Certainly what happened was and remains terribly wrong. But do not give in to discouragement and do not lose hope. Try rather to understand what happened and face it honestly. If you have not already done so, give yourselves over with humility and trust to repentance. The Father of mercies is ready to give you his forgiveness and his peace in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. To the same Father and His mercy you can with sure hope entrust your child. With the friendly and expert help and advice of other people, and as a result of your own painful experience, you can be among the most eloquent defenders of everyone’s right to life. Through your commitment to life, whether by accepting the birth of other children or by welcoming and caring for those most in need of someone to be close to them, you will become promoters of a new way of looking at human life

Sure doesn’t sound to me like he felt “unsafe” around those one in three women, who need the extended hand of the church and invitation to return to confession, rather than further alienation.

Dear Terry,

Thanks for your comment. It is a strong comment by Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta but I do not agree with you that it is a cruel and unnecessary one. Mother knew well the infinite value of every soul, mother and child, involved in abortion. She dealt with the poor and knows how terribly women suffer who have had abortions. I believe she is speaking out of heart filled with love for God and for all His children.

I had remembered her comment as “no one is safe as long as any child is unsafe in the mother’s womb”. I had not remembered the quote exactly as Father quoted it: i.e. “no one is safe around a mother who would kill her own child.” I tried to research her exact words but found a few quotes similar but not exactly the same as Father’s version. For instance: At a commencement ceremony at Harvard in 1982 she lectured, “If a mother can kill her own child, then what is left of the West to do, be destroyed?” also these quotes: “The greatest destroyer of peace is abortion because if a mother can kill her own child, what is left for me to kill you and you to kill me? There is nothing between” - Mother Teresa. “And if we can accept that a mother can kill her own child, how can we tell other people not to kill one another?” – Mother Teresa

Perhaps Fr. Rutler heard her say those words to him. He is a Pastor in NYC and she visited there. The underlying fact is: if a baby is not safe in the womb created to nurture and and give life, who is safe?

I believe it is abortion that is cruel and unnecessary, when so many other options are available for a pregnant woman who is frightened or simply feels she cannot bear a child. I believe it is cruel for Planned Parenthood and others to tell women the best thing for any mother afraid to bear a child is to kill the child. It is absolutely cruel and unnecessary to me that any child needs to be unsafe in the womb of its mother, and to die by her decision.

How sad, horrible and true that one in three women have had an abortion! It is also sad, horrible and true that many in our culture have allowed and promoted this decision by women instead of urging them to carry the baby to term, and seek either an adoptive family or ways in which a mother may keep her child, finding the help she needs in Catholic Homes like “Good Counsel Homes”; see HERE.

Mercy is the Heart of God and all of us need His Grace to know and to do, His Truth. To Love one another with His Heart, is our vocation. We need to be merciful as our Heavenly Father is Merciful. Father Rutler is speaking God’s Truth in his article. The Church needs to speak God’s Truth lovingly and clearly. Each of us can sit in the pew next to a woman who has had the grief of an abortion, and put our arms around her and love her with God’s Love. We all need to help her and other women to see that it is evil to abort a child, yet, there is mercy always mercy in God and in His Church. I do not think that Father Rutler or Bl. Mother Teresa ( if quoted correctly) is saying the mother herself but rather the culture which allows this tragedy is unsafe for all. Hope that helps a bit.

Dear teresa lamb, april, Michael, Southern, and Gicutzu,

Thank you all for your replies. Let us pray for God’s Grace to help all tempted to abort a child, to resist that temptation and to bring their babies to term. May Our Blessed Mother hold each mother close to the Heart of her Son, and intercede for all those deceived by the evil one in this culture of death.

Hi Maria,
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post in such depth. I also could not find those words as quoted in the article as anywhere being attributed to Mother Teresa either. I have read those other quotes. While I totally understand the underlying point that if a babe in the womb has no right to life, what rights can the rest of us claim. BUT…there is a huge difference in that, and stating that noone is safe around a post abortive mother. As you pointed out…One is a comment about the culture of death-the other is aimed at individual women.

Again I would suggest to our brothers and sisters, and the priest who made that comment, that weighing our words carefully, in consideration of the fact that abortion is the most common medical procedure performed on women, might go a long way to extending the hand of the Church to those One in Three. The Church is the one with the remedy. Shall we make it harder for the broken so in need of that remedy to find it?

These “dangerous women” are in our parishes, on our committees, dropping their kids off at our schools. Though many of them won’t set foot in the church at all, because they understand the gravity of the sin, and live with it daily, but don’t hear too much about the Heart of The Shepherd…waiting for them in the tribunal of mercy.

Comments like the one I took issue with only futher their sense of isolation, and being unwelcome in the Church. I would ask the good father to think about the women who will read that quote, and ask himself if they would feel welcomed in his confessional.

Dear Terry,

I just read your latest reply to me. I honestly do not think Father was writing to women who may be suffering grief over an abortion, but to politicians who deceive women such as the one Father mentioned in his article who thought it was a good thing to kill her baby.

All of us need to be very careful in the words we choose, but sometimes others take offense when none is intended. Father’s article is directed to those who are deceiving women and stifling the true maternal instincts God placed in women’s hearts. Father’s aim is, I believe, to stop anyone from thinking that evil is good!

Perhaps you need to write to Fr. Rutler. I know you feel very strongly about what he has said, and maybe he can explain better than I can, why he wrote what he wrote. He was Pastor at the Church of Our Saviour, but I read in an article dated June 20, 2013, he was reassigned after 12 years ( reassignments are usually after 6 yrs.) to:
St. Michael’s Church,
424 W 34th Street
New York, NY 10001

I’m not sure if Father moved yet; he may be still at Our Saviour. It may be best to write to:
The Church of Our Saviour
59 Park Avenue at 38th Street
New York, N.Y. 10016

I agree whole-heartedly that all of us need to be tender-hearted toward anyone who has suffered through an abortion, but we must not be afraid to speak of its horrors either. The intrinsic evil of killing an innocent, defenseless baby cannot be supported. We must do all we can to prevent it, and all we can to bind up the wounds of mothers who suffer after an abortion. We cannot continue to allow the killing of babies, or the continued deception of women and men who think evil is good.

Two helpful links for women suffering after an abortion are: “Silent No More” and Rachel’s Vineyard. You may already be familiar with these Ministries but others reading this thread may not be…

Thanks again for your reply.

I think you summed up Fr. Rutler’s point nicely. I also disagree with this statement from the previous post; abortion is the most common medical procedure performed on women. This term reminds me of “women’s health” and other aesthetically pleasing terms that are often used to smooth over the evil and reality of what abortion truly is…the murder of an innocent child. I believe there is an attempt by politicians to deceive people as you point out. One prominent politician recently said this; “abortion-is-sacred ground.”

Peace, Mark

Hi Mark,
I am sorry you took offense at my lingo-I was just trying to point out the sad reality we live in-hardly a family has remained untouched by abortion, whether they know it or not. Those inside the church, and those outside her walls.

I am not saying not to speak the truth-but to balance it with mercy…the Church is called to be and bring Jesus to our culture, and alienating women who suffer, mostly in silence…is not going to help create a culture of life.

Maria-Well I’m not sure of the the priests intent here-my point was largely meant to educate…tossing around quotes of questionable authorship, and passing them along on the net, without even considering their impact on the 1/3 of our sisters who may need to see and experience the healing hand of Christ and the Church…is not (IMO) in the best interests of anyone, even if the article was otherwise well written.

"Blessed Teresa of Calcutta said that no one is safe around a mother who would kill her own child. Anyone who makes a Faustian bargain knows that even Christ is not safe around such a mother: “

“Thank you, Lord, that I am not like that publican.”

Peace-And Happy 4th of July to the Americans on the board who are celebrating today.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.