Stigmata; did Paul have it?

In today’s Sunday reading, in Paul to the Galations, he mentions that he bears the marks of Christ. Does the Church recognize this as stigmata? Also, what other cases of stigmata have been authenticated?

Jon

There’s no official Church teaching one way or the other regarding Paul having the stigmata. Some have thought the passage supports the view that he did.

I believe St. Francis of Assisi is the first one recorded as having the stigmata. Padre Pio is a very recent stigmatist (he died in 1968). His stigmata were authenticated.

I’m sure there were many others. St. Theresa of Avila had invisible stigmata.

Nita

Don’t all who have been baptised bear the marks of Christ?

I found this listing on Wikipedia:

Famous stigmatics
[LIST]
*]Saint Catherine of Siena
*]Saint John of God
*]Saint Marie of the Incarnation
*]Saint Pio of Pietrelcina
*]Brother Roque
*]Therese Neumann
*]Lilian Bernas
*]Saint Francis of Assisi
*]Saint Gemma Galgani
*]Lucia Brocadelli of Narni
*]Jeffer Francia
*]Faustyna Kowalska[/LIST]

Well, yeah, but that isn’t really what St. Paul was saying.

Bear in mind that at this point, he’s been banged around for the faith pretty well and that is surely some of the suffering of Christ that he shared with Our Lord. Remember what he said. Colossians 1:24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up those things that are wanting of the sufferings of Christ, in my flesh, for his body, which is the church:

[FONT=Verdana][size=3]I’ve heard that some people believe he did have the stigmata, but there is no substantive evidence aside from this and his comments about his “thorn in the flesh”. (2nd Corinthians 12:7-10)[/size]
[/FONT]

:stuck_out_tongue: I know…I was just being literal to be a pain:D …

What about Paul’s really bad eyesight and big handwriting? Was he “blinded by the light?”

Wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Would that qualify as stigmata?

Don’t think so since the stigmata is actually the 5 wounds of Christ.

This is more like an affliction…

I dunno…Christ had a lot more wounds than just the five major ones…

I know traditionally what is called stigmata is those five…I was just speculating that maybe the thorn in the flesh was like Christ’s crown and such pain could obscure vision…just my own mental musings…

I think that Paul is referring to all the scars his body bore from the many beatings, stoning, and floggings he endured for Christ.
Though it could be referring to his baptism since it says ‘mark’ instead of ‘marks’.

He talks about this in 2 Corinthians 11:23-28

Are they servants of Christ? I am a better one – I am talking like a madman – with far greater labors, far more imprisonments, with countless beatings, and often near death. Five times I have received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. Three times I have been beaten with rods; once I was stoned. Three times I have been shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been adrift at sea; on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brethren; in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. And, apart from other things, there is the daily pressure upon me of my anxiety for all the churches.

And we also bear the mark of Christ, not from the beatings like Paul endured, but by our Baptism. And we remind our selfs of this mark every time we make the sign of the cross.

:hmmm: :ehh: :shrug:

*** From now on, let no one make troubles for me;
for I bear the marks of Jesus on my body.***

Is this a translation issue? The NAB clearly says “marks”.

I just looked at 3 translations, all of which use “marks”, they are the:

King James
New International Version
New American Standard

I didn’t see the need to look further.

The translation error is in my head.
They all say Marks.
sorry.

No problem. I thought most of the rest of your post was right on the “mark” (pardon the pun).

He talks about this in 2 Corinthians 11:23-28

Are they servants of Christ? I am a better one – I am talking like a madman – with far greater labors, far more imprisonments, with countless beatings, and often near death. Five times I have received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. Three times I have been beaten with rods; once I was stoned. Three times I have been shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been adrift at sea; on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brethren; in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. And, apart from other things, there is the daily pressure upon me of my anxiety for all the churches.

And we also bear the mark of Christ, not from the beatings like Paul endured, but by our Baptism. And we remind our selfs of this mark every time we make the sign of the cross.

I think the “mark” of our Baptism is more often called a “seal” isn’t it? Isn’t this the “Tau” that Ezekiel was talking about, and mentioned also in Revelation?

Clearly from the contexts Paul has his suffering in mind when he uses the word “marks”. By suffering I refferr to his beatings, stonings, etc.,

Note: the greek work behind “mark” is in fact στίγμα aka stigma which means,

a mark pricked in or branded upon the body. To ancient oriental usage, slaves and soldiers bore the name or the stamp of their master or commander branded or pricked (cut) into their bodies to indicate what master or general they belonged to, and there were even some devotee’s who stamped themselves in this way with the token of their gods

cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?strongs=4742

It is possible that the word stigmata comes from this greek word – I do not know that as fact.

so what is the purpose of stigmata? reading the articles and there is pictures, its pretty harsh, and it affects non catholics as well, I read.

Still wondering about the purpose??

Douay Rheims also has 1 Galatians 6:17 From henceforth let no man be troublesome to me; for I bear the marks of the Lord Jesus in my body.

He may have had an invisible stigmata.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.