Still a bit confused about the third commandment

so I’m always told that the 10 commandments are basically our guide for morality

but what about the third one? I know Jesus abolished the Sabbath and we now have the lord’s day but I’m confused aboud still.

is it really a sin to work or open businesses on sundays? and I know the previous canon law prohibited public buying and selling. but then again, I know older catholic towns use to have sunday markets and there was also stuff being sold at festivals and hols is a from ydays and things like that. many churches nowadays also have gift shops and there are a lot of fundraising sales happening after mass. I know sunday rest generally pertains to servile work but buying and selling has not changed so much over the years

there seems to be opinion all over the board on this one. even if it has changed, does the church have the authority to say what’s allowed and what isn’t on sundays? or it is it one of those things that’s decreed by God?

sorry if this is a confusing post. I’m just confused. some priests say we shouldn’t work, some say even if we don’t work, going out to restaurants and shops causes others to work, some say it’s not a sin but best to avoid because it’s not good for sundays and others say it’s ok, so I really don’t know

The Catechism devotes an entire article to this subject.

Some exerpts:

2173 The Gospel reports many incidents when Jesus was accused of violating the sabbath law. But Jesus never fails to respect the holiness of this day. He gives this law its authentic and authoritative interpretation: “The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath.” With compassion, Christ declares the sabbath for doing good rather than harm, for saving life rather than killing. The sabbath is the day of the Lord of mercies and a day to honor God. “The Son of Man is lord even of the sabbath.”

2175 Sunday is expressly distinguished from the sabbath which it follows chronologically every week; for Christians its ceremonial observance replaces that of the sabbath. In Christ’s Passover, Sunday fulfills the spiritual truth of the Jewish sabbath and announces man’s eternal rest in God. For worship under the Law prepared for the mystery of Christ, and what was done there prefigured some aspects of Christ:

2176 The celebration of Sunday observes the moral commandment inscribed by nature in the human heart to render to God an outward, visible, public, and regular worship “as a sign of his universal beneficence to all.” Sunday worship fulfills the moral command of the Old Covenant, taking up its rhythm and spirit in the weekly celebration of the Creator and Redeemer of his people.

2184 Just as God “rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done,” human life has a rhythm of work and rest. The institution of the Lord’s Day helps everyone enjoy adequate rest and leisure to cultivate their familial, cultural, social, and religious lives.

2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body. Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.

The charity of truth seeks holy leisure- the necessity of charity accepts just work.

2186 Those Christians who have leisure should be mindful of their brethren who have the same needs and the same rights, yet cannot rest from work because of poverty and misery. Sunday is traditionally consecrated by Christian piety to good works and humble service of the sick, the infirm, and the elderly. Christians will also sanctify Sunday by devoting time and care to their families and relatives, often difficult to do on other days of the week. Sunday is a time for reflection, silence, cultivation of the mind, and meditation which furthers the growth of the Christian interior life.

The Chirch has the authority to clarify what God has decreed :slight_smile:

Sorry if this is a confusing post. I’m just confused. some priests say we shouldn’t work, some say even if we don’t work, going out to restaurants and shops causes others to work, some say it’s not a sin but best to avoid because it’s not good for sundays and others say it’s ok, so I really don’t know

Overall, we shouldn’t do laborous work that doesn’t need to be done. So in the olden days, maybe hauling water for people to take baths would have been unnecessary, but hauling water for the livestock necessary.

People need to eat and dishes need to be washed, so work pertaining to that is ok, even if it is in a restaurant. It is the employer’s obligation to ensure that the employees have time to fulfill their Sunday obligations; maybe by having half-shifts on Sundays.

There are many things we do not think about that would generally be wrong to dk on Sundays like butchering animals, harvesting crops or plowing fields (each of which could be all right if the delay would cost the farmer as substantial amount, like if you’re bringing in hay and rain is forecast for Monday).

Some priests do not really know the social history of the Church. Not everyone lives within a few minutes of a church–farmers are frequently a distance away.

What are police and firemen supposed to do if their shift falls on a Sunday??? I remember how “tough” it was for us a/c my husband was a fireman. We had only one car and our first Mass was 7:00 A.M.and he had to be at work at 8:00 – so there was no way he could get to the firehouse on time – he tried to get the pastor to have an earlier Mass on Sunday to no avail – so he had to take the car and attend Mas at a Church near the Firehouse and I was left without a car and three young children – I believe in the early days I got my Mom to come and babysit the “kids” and I had to walk to Church – then as they got older I took them with me – but there were some tough days!!!

While the Church has such authority, she does not do so.

God does not decree what we can and cannot do on Sundays. either

It is prudential judgment.

well lthere used to be in canon law mthe thing about public and selling, isn’t that decreeing?

also can you elaborate a bit on prudential judgment?

I’ve read that section many times, it’s pretty vague.

different people have different ideas as what constitutes leisure.

I’m more thinking along the lines of what’s sinful and what’s not. for example, God spelled out exactly what the Israelites should or shouldn’t do on the sabbath

If canon law used to have such canons, it no longer does. as I said, the Church has the authority, but does not legislate at this time.

It means, you use your judgment.

I dont think God would agree that all these huge mega retail places need to be open for business for sundays, but they will never close down for reason like that…sundays are just another day to bring in the money, Heck, last Christmas driving home, I couldnt believe how many businesses were open, all the Subway restaurants were open, every single gas station, I believe walmart was even open for a certain time…its strange, all these companies take full advantage of a religious holiday (Christmas,Easter), in that they want as many people spending money as possible, but when it comes to celebrating other religious ideals, forget about it!? Really, all religious people should be offended by this.

thanks, that’s what I was looking for.

I recognize that the commandment about the Sabbath is slightly different from the rest of them, which is why I was asking

for now, I will try and do my best. if it ever gets to the level of mortal sin material, I’m hoping the church will inform us. guess I should stop worrying about older canons

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.