still doubting

Is it silly to doubt faith because a professor with a Ph.D says there is no possibility of God, or rather, if many professors with Ph.D's say there is no possibility of God. I don't know why a degree would intimidate me, but it does. Philosophy Doctors, Psychology Doctors, Sociology Doctors. Many have said it. Is it foolish to doubt my faith based upon the evidence given by the educated professors of my university, if professors who are just as educated tell me that there is absolutely a God. I wouldn't say I doubt my faith because I think there is lack of evidence of a God, but rather because I am easily intimidated by those who wish to challenge my faith. For instance, last week one of my professors said "yeah saints for example. The Catholic Church made up saints to give people something to pray to". I didn't say anything but I was totally enraged. Then I calmed down and thought "maybe they were just made up". I'm a practicing Catholic, i don't want to come off as anything other than that. God Bless.....oh and please feel free to answer.

First of all, you need to know that there IS a possibility of God. As a matter of fact, I often wonder if there is a possibility that there is NO God, because this world is so perfectly formed that it seems impossible for there to be no God.

Second, you need to realize that what your professors tell you is really just part of a mentality they have gotten themselves into, and it is entirely separate from their earthly success. No matter how much doubt they put into your mind, never give up, and if you have serious questions, ask a priest.

There are millions of people with P.H.D's that believe in God. Find them and associate with them or take their classes.

Plus, logically we can look at people like Mother Teresa, who was alive in our day, to find proof of the existence of Saints. We didn't even need the church to declare her a saint, we already knew it in our hearts and by watching her heroic love. Her love was Not natural it was Super-natural. I don't need a P.H.D to see that!

[quote="romancatholic94, post:1, topic:307230"]
Is it silly to doubt faith because a professor with a Ph.D says there is no possibility of God, or rather, if many professors with Ph.D's say there is no possibility of God. I don't know why a degree would intimidate me, but it does. Philosophy Doctors, Psychology Doctors, Sociology Doctors. Many have said it. Is it foolish to doubt my faith based upon the evidence given by the educated professors of my university, if professors who are just as educated tell me that there is absolutely a God. I wouldn't say I doubt my faith because I think there is lack of evidence of a God, but rather because I am easily intimidated by those who wish to challenge my faith. For instance, last week one of my professors said "yeah saints for example. The Catholic Church made up saints to give people something to pray to". I didn't say anything but I was totally enraged. Then I calmed down and thought "maybe they were just made up". I'm a practicing Catholic, i don't want to come off as anything other than that. God Bless.....oh and please feel free to answer.

[/quote]

There is plenty of scientific evidence, it’s just that they don’t want to be subject to morals, so they argue that there is no God:

ArguingWithAtheists.com/Pages/Vital_Moon.htm

[quote="romancatholic94, post:1, topic:307230"]
I didn't say anything but I was totally enraged. .

[/quote]

This is exactly how Jesus responded to those who wanted to trip him up or make "joke" out of him, ie: Herod, who wanted Jesus to do a "miracle" to tantalize his curiosity, or the Scribes and Pharisees when they had Jesus in court where they twisted His words to use against Him and justify the end they had already pre-determined. Jesus was wise and was "silent" before the shearers.

I see you are from New Jersey. There is a Catholic ministry in New Jersey, called the New Jersey Center of Divine Mercy. If you haven't done this already, go there and ask for Paul Miller, maybe he can help you gain more faith. I read his story and it is quite inspirational.
I don't know but I hope what I said can help.

[quote="Lady_Love, post:5, topic:307230"]
This is exactly how Jesus responded to those who wanted to trip him up or make "joke" out of him, ie: Herod, who wanted Jesus to do a "miracle" to tantalize his curiosity, or the Scribes and Pharisees when they had Jesus in court where they twisted His words to use against Him and justify the end they had already pre-determined. Jesus was wise and was "silent" before the shearers.

[/quote]

That was when it was time for His Passion. During His teaching years, He made chords into a whip and lashed them (John 2:15).

How much love do they have?

“If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.”

Are they impatient, unkind, jealous, boastful, arrogant, or rude? Do they want their own way? (That’s the most common reason for deciding there is no God. If He doesn’t exist, we don’t have to follow His rules.) Do they take joy in others’ mistakes or bad behavior?

“Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.”

Last but not least: "Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. …
So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love. "

So love is more important than knowledge. Don’t worry about a string of letters after someone’s name.

:hug3:

All quotes are from 1 Cor 13:1-13 (RSV).

If he thinks that Catholics “pray to” saints, (rather than ask for their intercession), then he is obviously ignorant of the most basic tenets of Catholicism and no, I wouldn't trust or value his opinion on something which he know so little about :blush:

Also, being an “expert” (let alone possessing a simple doctoral degree!) in psychology, philosophy, or sociology does not mean one is qualified to pronounce upon the existence or non-existence of God. Hopefully your professors' supposed erudition will become demystified for you as you advance in your studies. I think it is also worth keeping in mind that it takes an incredible level of faith (much more than is required to believe Catholicism!) to state definitively that there is “no possibility” of God. I have yet to meet an atheist who would say there is absolutely no possibility of God (or otherwise divine being). This would be strike two against my trusting his opinion in a field not his own. :shrug:

Finally, the process of canonization is quite rigorous and complex...They just don't up and declare people saints! There used to exist an appointed canon lawyer called “Promoter of the Faith” whose job it was to play devil's advocate to the “Promoter of the Cause”and find reasons that a person should NOT be canonized. This position was replaced by Pope John Paul II with the “Promotor of Justice” who looks at the case from all possible angles. They also call in medical experts, doctors, and clinicians to assess if there might be a possible natural cause for any apparent miraculous (i.e., supernatural) phenomena. Perhaps if you brushed up on the process a bit, you might find your professor's statement less intimidating :) Here is a good link: catholicadultfaith.com/documents/The_Process_of_Canonization_of_Saints.pdf

My best advice to you would be to use your professors' rants about Catholicism as an opportunity to fill in the gaps of your own knowledge of the faith :) Pray, study, and use your critical thinking skills. Surround yourself with a good Catholic community also, because, as your own example shows, the people in your personal life have the ability to affect your thoughts and behavior. Good luck, and God bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.