Still in the state of grace?

Hi,
Im wondering about your opinions in a certain matter.
You see, last autumn I started at school (university), but I unfortunately did quit simply due to the lack of interess and stamina.
This Im embarrassed about, you see it has happened before:(
And due to my embarrassment I automatically lie when the subject come up/ occurre.
Im simply to ashamed of it.
It’s like Im no good, you see I judge myself harsh as I hate my never ending failure academicly and I also struggle to keep my job.
So at some point it’s heavily depressing.
On the other hand Im wondering about whethèr or not this may be a test by God to see if Im fitted to live my life in a monastery.
I sometimes feel called to be a Franciscan or a Benedictine munk, but I don’t know.

Anyway, my question is as following:
May I recieve communion given the fact that Im continouesly lying about my studies and so on?
Is it a mortal sin even though it doesn’t harm anybody?
I feel sorry for lying so I could do a sincere confession about it, but I know (unfortunately) that Im very likely to do it again when the subject occurres.

Thanks for any input:)
And I know it’s a difficult topic and that I should’ve been discussed with a priest, but Im just interested in what’s your opinions.

Thanks in advance for any answers I may recieve:)

Yours in Jesus and Mary

• MarianCatholic

For a little white lie- no, it is not a mortal sin. But, since you are continuously lying about this one, very important and serious-sounding thing, it would have to say that it might be mortal if the other two conditions (full knowledge and full consent) are “met.” Now, since you did not necessarily know that it might be a mortal sin, you don’t really have the full knowledge part. But, only you know that!

Talk to your priest about it, though, and try not to lie anymore!

May God bless you on this Divine Mercy Sunday! :slight_smile:

From how I see it, the thing you are lying about is not a sin in itself, you are not lying so as to wrongfully gain anything or to deliberately hurt anyone. Whilst lying is a sin, I would consider it a venial one. But a sin none the less … and the trouble with lying is that it can so easily lead to other sins, as you consciously try to protect the tangled web you have woven for yourself.

I would urge you to talk to a priest about it, for no other reason than it’s clearly on your mind and troubles you.

Who knows, perhaps in the process of talking honestly and openly about it, you will find a way to be honest with your friends by coming to terms with your own disappointment in yourself.

God bless. And I will pray for the gift of discernment for your current situation and as you explore a possible call to the monastic life.

Pax

All you need to say is something like, “I left school because I no longer felt called to pursue this.” If you wish, you may even add, " I’m considering a priestly vocation."

Really, it’s nobody’s business but your own, and people don’t expect a full-blown explanation about your decision.

Well, as for being a mortal sin? I don’t think so, because there is no seriously grave matter here. Try to find easy comebacks that won’t involve the habit of excusing yourself in a lie. That’s for little kids who get caught with their hands in the cookie jar. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.