Stolen necklace

[size=]Some time ago a family member gave me a nice (possibly expensive) piece of costume jewelry. My family member's uncle (deceased) brought it back from Mexico years ago and my family member thinks it was probably stolen. I don't know if my family member's uncle stole it or if he bought it from someone else who had stolen it or gotten it somehow. Anyway, it's a beautiful necklace, and I've often worn it. I haven't worn it in awhile b/c it's broken. I've thought before that perhaps I shouldn't wear it b/c it was likely stolen, but I figured I was being scrupulous. Now I'm not so sure. I have no way (at least I don't think so) of finding the rightful owner of this necklace. What should I do with it? Is it sinful for me to have it in my posession?[/size]

Before you make any decisions, you should make sure it was actually stolen to begin with. It sounds like your family member isn’t %100 sure that it was stolen.

In light of the fact that the person who gave it to your family member who in turn gave it to you is deceased, neither you nor the family member have any facts that indicate it wa stolen, and you have come into possession of it in a manner that is in no way sinful-- would say yes you are being scrupulous.

[quote="1ke, post:3, topic:320801"]
In light of the fact that the person who gave it to your family member who in turn gave it to you is deceased, neither you nor the family member have any facts that indicate it wa stolen, and you have come into possession of it in a manner that is in no way sinful-- would say yes you are being scrupulous.

[/quote]

Let's say I ask my family member again and they say, "My uncle TOLD me he stole it." Or "My uncle said it was stolen." Would that change your answer? I plan to ask my family member again soon. If they say, "I suspect it was stolen" then I won't worry about it anymore.

Do you know where this Uncle lived when it was given to him? You might ask the local police if such a necklace was reported as being stolen. If nothing was reported, then I see no reason to worry about it.

The story is that years ago he went to Mexico and when he came back to the States he brought the necklace with him. So it wouldn’t have been reported stolen in the States.

[quote="Veronica97, post:6, topic:320801"]
The story is that years ago he went to Mexico and when he came back to the States he brought the necklace with him. So it wouldn't have been reported stolen in the States.

[/quote]

What reason does your relative give for thinking he didn't just buy it? Buying jewelry in Mexico is hardly an uncommon thing to do.

[quote="agnes_therese, post:7, topic:320801"]
What reason does your relative give for thinking he didn't just buy it? Buying jewelry in Mexico is hardly an uncommon thing to do.

[/quote]

That's what I'm going to try to find out.

[quote="Veronica97, post:4, topic:320801"]
Let's say I ask my family member again and they say, "My uncle TOLD me he stole it." Or "My uncle said it was stolen." Would that change your answer? I plan to ask my family member again soon. If they say, "I suspect it was stolen" then I won't worry about it anymore.

[/quote]

No. It would not change my answer if the uncle "said it was stolen". Maybe not even if he told her "he" stole it. He could have been joking. As in, "where did you get such a pretty necklace"... "oh, I stole it... ha ha". i mean, was your uncle a known criminal?

Something long ago, far away, and with hazy (i.e. no) facts.... no I would not be concerned about it. If it were 24K gold, with diamonds and rubies, then I would have it appraised and perhaps seek its provenance maybe through the jeweller's mark.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.