Stop Foreign Aid to Nigeria for Banning Gay “Marriage”: European Union’s Homosexual Rights Group

’ “The only result this law is going to achieve is a raising hatred against gay, lesbian and transgender citizens of Nigeria,” ’

…and stopping foreing aid to them would make you a better person???

Revenge is your trend.

lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/jan/09012105.html

In Nigeria there are people killed daily for being gay.

Yep. Killed or tortured or imprisoned. Nigeria is a dangerous place to live if you are gay.

Isn’t Nigeria the home of spam too?

Nigeria is a dangerous place to live regardless if you are gay. I think the USA should stop aid to states within the US that do not ban gay marriage.

Why?

Let me see if I understand this. Nigeria bans gay marriage. A body of the EU proposes to suspend aid to Nigeria because of this. Would this be the kind of aid that provides food and medicine to thousands or millions of innocent Nigerians? If so, wouldn’t the suspension of that aid lead to suffering, misery, and death? How would that be an appropriate response?

I’d also look for a better source. Lifesitenews often twist the truth.

I must be in the wrong place, I thought this was a Catholic forum and not Episcopalian.

Why?

I don’t think it is appropriate. I pray it doesn’t pass because if it does it could, as you said, lead to untold suffering.

So why do you think allowing Gay marriage is going to stop the killing and torture of Homosexuals?

Peace!:thumbsup:

Why what? Should Nigeria not be able to ban Gay Marriage as they see fit. The EU is a joke and I pray for the day the USA is no longer a member.

You can’t believe everything that LifeSite News reports. They aren’t really a news agency - they are more of an advocacy site. Its always wise to fact check anything controversial which they claim.

I couldn’t find any other news articles reporting what they state. This doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, but it does cast doubts. LifeSite has a well-deserved reputation for twisting news to fit their agenda.

Exactly - which is why the LifeSite article seems dubious. The claim just doesn’t make sense.

I suspect that this pressure group isn’t a government agency at all in the EU.
I have always found the LifeSite news accurate.

QUOTE=Dale_M;4704608]You can’t believe everything that LifeSite News reports. They aren’t really a news agency - they are more of an advocacy site. Its always wise to fact check anything controversial which they claim.

I couldn’t find any other news articles reporting what they state. This doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, but it does cast doubts. LifeSite has a well-deserved reputation for twisting news to fit their agenda.

Exactly - which is why the LifeSite article seems dubious. The claim just doesn’t make sense.

Having searched the internet, the only source for this IS lifesitenews. Any other website is sourcing that article.

Such a thing is a big issue here in NI, and things like this are in our media all the time. I haven’t heard any of our MEPs talking about this.

The whole things is dubious.

Also, homosexuality is illegal in Nigeria, perhaps the EU thing was to legalise homosexuality and not legalise same sex marriage?

The EU is a joke and I pray for the day the USA is no longer a member.

You’re the joke. The US isn’t even a member of the EU. Do you know what the abbreviation EU stands for?

Anyway, just for general education here’s a list of the countries that are in it now:
delblr.ec.europa.eu/page911.html

Here is some information on LGBT law in Nigeria.

Thank you.

*Homosexuality in Nigeria is illegal according to Chapter 21, Articles 214 and 217 of the Nigerian penal code and can be punished by imprisonment of up to 14 years. The * (wiki)

Wow…

“As of March 2006, press reports say that more than a dozen people have been sentenced to death by stoning since 2000, but the sentences had not been carried out”

I gotta love* the middle ages.

Precisely, Robertsxxx.

What I fail to understand is how, in a country like that, could the EU possibly think Nigeria would legalise same sex marriage? Homosexuality isn’t even legal!
Here in the UK we don’t have same sex marriage, though we do have same sex civil unions, and we’re getting no hassle from the EU about it. If the UK as a major member state isn’t being hassled, why should a non-EU state be?

It seems likely that it is to do with legalising homosexuality, but has been twisted to make folks think it’s absolutely wrong.

The reality is people are being imprisoned for their sexual orientation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.