Stopped going to mons church because they said I'm cursed?

Well my mom is protestant but we went to this church with a lot of Nigerian people and they seemed alright but they said some strange things. My brother said he doesn’t want to get married but they said a man has to marry a woman or something is wrong with them. Priests, nuns, bishops, cardinals, the pope they aren’t married so does that mean something is wrong with them? A priest once told me that some of us are called to be married and have families. Some of us are called to become priests or nuns and not get married. Some of us arent going to get married because God has other plans for us. This was what made me realize that it wass okay if I didn’t get married and my brother even thinks becoming a priest is cool and he can’t wait to start RCIA and calls himself a catholic I couldn’t be prouder. Now my other issue is that for my own personal reasons I’ve become a vegetarian and these people got up on Sunday and preached about people deciding to eat vegetables and not meat are cursed. I just had enough and told my mom I’m not going to sit there and listen to their nonsense. They actually said that being a vegetarian is biblically wrong… have you ever heard this?

That’s an interesting story! There seems to be a need among some groups to label others accursed!

Vegetarianism was practised by the Essenes and the ancient Christian Ebionites favored vegetarianism. You’ll note Adventists also approve of vegetarian diets.

Proverbs 15:17
Better a small serving of vegetables with love than a fattened calf with hatred.

Jesus Himself chose to remain single. Look at what He said about trying to serve two masters:

Matthew 6:24

24 “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

When asked about the subject of marriage and divorce, He said:

Matthew 19:10-12

10 The disciples said to him, “If such is the case of a man with his wife, it is not expedient to marry.” 11 But he said to them, “Not all men can receive this precept, but only those to whom it is given. 12 For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to receive this, let him receive it.”

Paul chose to remain single his entire life. He wrote:

1 Corinthians 7:1

7 Now concerning the matters about which you wrote. It is well for a man not to touch a woman.

1 Corinthians 7:27-28

27 Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be free. Are you free from a wife? Do not seek marriage. 28 But if you marry, you do not sin, and if a girl[a] marries she does not sin. Yet those who marry will have worldly troubles, and I would spare you that.

1 Corinthians 7:32-35

32 I want you to be free from anxieties. The unmarried man is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to please the Lord; 33 but the married man is anxious about worldly affairs, how to please his wife, 34 and his interests are divided. And the unmarried woman or girl[a] is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit; but the married woman is anxious about worldly affairs, how to please her husband. 35 I say this for your own benefit, not to lay any restraint upon you, but to promote good order and to secure your undivided devotion to the Lord.

All of this is directed toward those who are called to serve the Lord with their lives. It is quite biblical. Sadly, so many who claim to live by the bible seem to completely ignore these teachings.

Let me start with the disclaimer that I am NOT a vegetarian, so my post is not intended to have an agenda.

What I am is an ardent reader of scripture, and sometimes when reading and pondering the Word, The Holy Spirit often shows me something in a different light.

And, I am not proclaiming the correctness in my analysis, but I feel God illuminates it for me to serve as a catalyst for discussion, study, and love of Sacred Scripture.

See genesis 1:25 and 1:29, and you might conclude vegetarianism is biblical:

First consider verse 29, where God speaks of everything he provides to man as food…notice the absence of meat from the animals.

If then we look at verse 25, we could argue that when God says man will have dominion over the other creatures, that includes using them for foodstuffs. But, it might be argued that this “dominion” sets the stage of using animals to provide labor in tilling the ground to assist in the cultivation of the fruits and vegetables God intended for man’s nourishment in verse 29.

Peace and all good!

I have… its truly nutty but they truly believe it … I have also run into others who were convinced it was sinful to eat meat … go figure. The notion that everyone has to marry… oy. The Catholic church teaching that not all are called to marry and that those who have mastered their passions and can refrain from marriage are good … well it drives some folks nuts to think that someone somewhere might not be having conjugal relations… it was what was behind a big part of the so called protestant reformation.

Welcome home its much better in the Catholic Church. I joined last year after several years of testing the water. Its good to be home.

You CAN eat meat. It’s not prohibited. However, ask them where it is prohibited in the Bible to be a vegetarian?

Some communities are susceptible to superstition by culture, and that may be the case here - especially if they have no rules against superstition as the Catholic Church does. Yet, read Romans 14 on this subject:

Romans 14

Do Not Judge Another

14 As for the man who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not for disputes over opinions.[a] 2 One believes he may eat anything, while the weak man eats only vegetables. 3 Let not him who eats despise him who abstains, and let not him who abstains pass judgment on him who eats; for God has welcomed him. 4 Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Master is able to make him stand.

5 One man esteems one day as better than another, while another man esteems all days alike. Let every one be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. He also who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God; while he who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 None of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself. 8 If we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord; so then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord’s. 9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

10 Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God; 11 for it is written,

“As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me,
and every tongue shall give praise** to God.”
12 So each of us shall give account of himself to God.

Do Not Make Another Stumble

13 Then let us no more pass judgment on one another, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother. 14 I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but it is unclean for any one who thinks it unclean.[c] 15 If your brother is being injured by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. Do not let what you eat cause the ruin of one for whom Christ died. 16 So do not let what is good to you be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God does not mean food and drink but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit; 18 he who thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. 19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding. 20 Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for any one to make others fall by what he eats; 21 it is right not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that makes your brother stumble.[d] 22 The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God; happy is he who has no reason to judge himself for what he approves. 23 But he who has doubts is condemned, if he eats, because he does not act from faith; for whatever does not proceed from faith is sin.** Do not be troubled by Paul’s reference to those who eat vegetables as weak. He himself claimed that the Lord’s power is made perfect in weakness.

[quote] 2 Corinthians 12:9

9 but he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” I will all the more gladly boast of my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Personally, I would avoid such a community that is full of judgment and superstition, and which ignores so much of the bible.
[/quote]

the above verse is probably where they find vegetarianism sinful. but i think paul is referring to people who didn’t want to eat meat because they were afraid it might have been offered to idols. that is a recurring theme in his writings. now, i get the feeling that’s not the reason you’re vegetarian so don’t even worry about it. it’s not sinful to not eat meat for health reasons or just because you don’t like it.

John the Baptist lived off of locusts and wild honey, a vegetarian diet by today’s standards. There is no rule that you will go to hell if you never eat a hamburger.

Continue to love and pray for your mother. Many people are afraid of what they do not understand. You are currently learning what the Catholic Faith teaches, and as you are discovering it is a lifelong journey. While our basic Faith is summarized in the Nicene Creed, you will continue to learn from how the Saints lived their lives and from reading the Scriptures on a daily basis.
Daniel in the OT declined the rich foods of the king and ate only vegetables. Trusting in God, he and his companions remained healthy. St. Paul talks about how the person who is single can devote his/her life completely to God without concern for the welfare of his/her spouse.
May God continue to guide your journey.

But was it a truly vegetarian diet? Locusts are not vegetables.

How about the Book of Daniel (chap. 1), where Daniel and his companions ask to be excluded from eating meat and wine, etc from the King Nebuchadnezzar’s table and ask instead to be given vegetables and water for their meals?

The problem is that many Fundamentalists don’t know the fundamentals of the Bible!

“By today’s standards.” Are you aware that fish and eggs are vegetables today? :wink:

I had no idea :smiley:

No, they are chalk full of protein, i.e., I would consider it meat. :smiley:

:eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.