Store owner shows mercy to would be robber

Store owner gives would-be robber $40 and a loaf of bread.

GARDEN CITY, N.Y. – A Long Island convenience store owner confronted by a bat-wielding would-be robber said Tuesday he decided to show mercy on the man after he collapsed in tears claiming he was only committing the crime to support his starving family.

Instead of getting loot from a stickup, the store owner provided the man with $40 and a loaf of bread, but only if he promised never to rob again.

“This was a grown man, crying like a baby,” Mohammad Sohail, owner of the Shirley Express convenience store about 65 miles east of New York City, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090603/ap_on_fe_st/odd_compassionate_store_owner

A little mercy in a mad world thought the would-be robber shouldn’t have decided to commit a crime. Hopefully, he doesn’t do it again.

Remarkable!

i spent about a year in college working as a clerk in a gas station/convience store on the late shift, and we didnt have any of that protective glass stuff(at that point i had never seen it). i contemplated this situation a whole lot. especially in those times where i went an hour or few between customers.

i was lucky the worst i had was 3 people drive off without paying for the gas, and 1 kid who grabbed a case of beer and ran. those times i just took plate #s and called the cops, but if someone had comein asking for money they would have got it, smokes, beer, and whatever else AND i would have offered to carry it to their car, not for altrustic reasons, but thats not the point.

the point is there are still good folks in the world trying to help the less fortunate and forgive them. lets hope this guy doesnt tr stealing again, because it will not be happy ending if he breaks into my or most any other home.

What a kind man. :thumbsup:

I’m not normally a big news reader (I look at the headlines but don’t read the stories) but since most of the stories lately have been negative, I thought a positive story would be nice. This one caught my eye and thought I’d share.

Mercy is beautiful.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.