Storm of protest over (Cyprus Orthodox) Archbishop’s anti-gay comments

Storm of protest over (Cyprus Orthodox) Archbishop’s anti-gay comments

GAY RIGHTS’ activists have condemned Archbishop Chrysostomos’ latest tirade against homosexuality and said the church is irredeemably alienating itself from the real world.

Speaking at an Orthodox gathering in Istanbul on Friday, the Archbishop urged Orthodox churches to take a stand against homosexuality and accused secular Christian governments of “weakening moral integrity” through acknowledging equal rights to homosexuals.

His comments prompted a storm of protests on social media sites and condemnation from the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transsexual (LGBT) rights activist group ACCEPT-LGBT.

For Greek-speakers or computer-translator aficianados, here is a different article in Greek wherein the archbishop’s remarks are called “dangerous” because they might cause somebody to commit “homophobic violence in the name of God’s love” by the ACCEPT activist writer.

sigmalive.com/news/local/107383

I think the homosexual civil-union question is heating up and will happen soon.

Good for him.:amen:

I used to think Pope Francis’ comment about “not judging” was useful…but now that I see his quote being continually misinterpreted and misfolded to fit particular secular viewpoints, I do wonder if further clarification about Church teaching would have been good…

GraceSofia, I know nothing about Cyprus, so I can’t assess the news article very well. I am not sure how much influence the archbishop’s remarks will have to change attitudes. Are upi familiar with the the cultural/political situation there?

I ask because a news article earlier this year mentioned that during the past 15 years, restrictions on homosexuality have been decreasing in Cyprus. Here is a quote from that article, which regards Turkish Cyprus decision to legalize homosexuality.

*A similar antiquated law had existed in the Republic but after decades of legal battles by Greek Cypriot activist Alecos Modinos, the colonial law was thrown out in 1998. But it took another two years to have deliberately offensive terms describing homosexual relations – ‘unnatural licentiousness’ – removed from the new legislation and then only under threat from Europe.

In 2002, parliament removed a further bone of contention, equalising the age of consent for heterosexuals and homosexuals to 17. Before that, heterosexual couples aged 16 and up were considered consenting adults while homosexuals had to wait until they were 18 to remain within the law.*
cyprus-mail.com/2014/01/27/north-repeals-ban-on-homosexuality-says-ilga/

As Archbishop Fulton Sheen, (now Venerable) once said, " The truth is still the Truth even if nobody believes it and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it.’ SEEMS TODAY, “ANYTHING GOES”!!! God Bless, Memaw

Any clarification always gets ignored by the secular media if it doesn’t further their agenda.

When we do not stand up for something then we stand for nothing. Tough times now, we have fallen into the grey area…we know right from wrong but we are not to judge. Kinda leaves me in the grey area where I am uncomfortable.

God bless the Archbishop for speaking the Truth. One of the few brave men.

We are not to judge the persons final Eternity, but we ARE to judge the ACTIONS that are sinful, lest we make the same mistake or even promote them. Love the sinner, hate the sin. God Bless, Memaw

If I understand correctly, civil unions will be debated in parliament next month. And Cyprus is scheduled to have its first gay pride parade in May.

*The first ever Gay Pride Parade in Cyprus will be held on May 31st of this year as part of a 15 day Cyprus Pride Festival, announced gay rights organisation Accept LGBTI Cyprus according to a report by Cyprus Mail.

“This is a testament to how far Cypriot society has come on issues of inclusion and acceptance” the head of Accept, Costas Gavrielidies, told the Cyprus Mail. The parade, which will be held under the auspices of South Nicosia Mayor Constantinos Yiorkadjis, will come as a celebration for the act legalising civil partnerships, which is expected to be voted by the South Cypriot House of Representatives in April, according to Accept’s press release.
kpdailynews.com/index.php/cat/35/news/230/PageName/CYPRUS_LOCAL_NEWS

Yes, I groaned when I saw that reference taken out of context and misused. Well, I think it was clarified, but people only hear what they want to hear, and remember what they want to remember.

What is upi?

I ask because a news article earlier this year mentioned that during the past 15 years, restrictions on homosexuality have been decreasing in Cyprus. Here is a quote from that article, which regards Turkish Cyprus decision to legalize homosexuality.

The thing that might not be easy to get from the news articles is that when they say the “Republic,” they mean the mainly Greek-speaking, Greek-Orthodox country in the south of the island. When they say north Cyprus, they mean the 37% of the country which is occupied and administered by Turkish troops. At the moment, they are quite separate entities politically.

I suspect that ILGA (notice funding from the U.S. state department) is throwing a lot of support and funding into Cyprus to get same-sex unions legalised. At the moment Cyprus is in the midst of a terrible economic crisis and re-unification talks aimed at getting Turkish troops out, and so the average Cypriot has a lot more to worry about than preventing homosexual civil unions.There seems to be a big push on now, maybe to take advantage of the situation.

That’s interesting, Coatimundi. Is the Archbishop’s comment presumably in reaction to the above events? If so, then thanks for providing valuable context. :thumbsup:

Better to alienate ourselves from a sinful world then be loved in it.

Where are the anti- gay comments? What I see is the Archbishop aggressively asserting Church teachings against and increasingly aggressive and forceful secular influence. And why not? Undoubtably, the Archbishop clearly sees that, right now at least, this secular world view is clearly winning out. Poll after poll after poll show that even our Catholic brethren now support so-called SSM…even with those who attend Mass regularly. Whether it be divorce, contraceptives, abortion or whatever, most Catholics today find that living their faith amongst this secular influence has become increasingly difficult. And yet, very few choose to reform their lives, and to live their lives according to Church teachings. Rather, they demand that in fact it’s the Church that must “change” and conform to their human weakness. What I see from this Archbishop is a desperate “last stand” against a dramatically changed moral landscape. Made even more desperate by the sad fact that Catholics themselves find themselves embracing this sinful lifestyle. One thing I find alarming are these comments from the article linked. This type of rhetoric is becoming more and more prevalent…and I should also add, accepted…

Ombudswoman Eliza Savvides said the Archbishop’s latest comments as “archaic and outdated”, saying that institutions responsible for ensuring rights equality cannot afford to consider backward attitudes. “The Church’s position against homosexuality is an old one. We need to move forward, we can’t look back”, said Savvides.

When I see quotes like the one above, I can’t help but recall the gay agenda’s initial request for tolerance. And as time passed by, it progressed to acceptance. And now I see an even more aggressive message; *** fully embrace.*** And it could be just me, but I also sense a subtle, more sinister message directed at the RCC itself; change your teachings or else! One thing I must acknowledge about the gay movement is this…they have sucessfully equated their situation to the plight of African Americans, who truly suffered real discrimination and injustice based on nothing other than the color of their skin. And because of this success, they have changed the hearts of many, and in fact have paved the way for many to now see the Church as bigoted or homophobic. What a reversal! A Church that was once respected by almost everyone…including her enemies! As for me, I can see where Archbishop Chrysostomos is coming from…and I stand firmly with him. God Bless Him!

Peace, Mark

The secular media is basically 98 percent of all media in the world, I’d guess.
That is, if you define “secular media” as publications that do not filter or shape their stories abiding by a specific religious doctrine.

But within these newsrooms exist and work many people who go to church, temple, mosques, etc. So to use the blanket label of “secular media” would still be incorrect. I’d say that in all the newsrooms I’ve worked in, at least 75 percent of the reporters, editors, etc, believe in God. So they are not secular.

Every time the Vatican has issued a clarification, I’ve seen the media publish the clarification over the wire all over the world.
I’m in NYC and I’ve often seen the New York Times reporter stationed at the Vatican report on it, with no agenda except the one he/she has been given all along: to report the news of the day.
I saw clarifications about the pope’s quote on civil unions all over the secular internet pages and liberal newspapers the day after he gave that interview.
I can provide those for you.

I know you like to believe that the media is somehow persecuting you or something…so perhaps, to support your statement, you can provide examples of the news media all around the world “ignoring” the Vatican’s follow-up clarifications?

If not, I strongly suggest you re-think your erroneous views of “the media”.

I really like this clarification. :thumbsup:

I would say that those things, especially the possible legalisation of homosexual union, are a major part of the cause. I’m sure he is watching the impact that legislation is having around the world and coming into conflict with religious freedom.

The other factor is that he said his remarks at a meeting of all the primates and bishops from all Eastern Orthodox Churches in Istanbul (March 6-9), at the invitation of Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople. Each leader gave remarks. They are discussing having a Great Council or Synod, and he said they need to work on a unified stance on contemporary issues in bioethics, assisted reproductive technologies, tissue and organ transplants, euthanasia, etc, and he said, the Orthodox Church should clearly take a stand and “condemn homosexuality when adopted by governments” and homosexual marriage.

See more at:
sigmalive.com/news/local/106902#sthash.3uHIYdVZ.dpuf

:thumbsup:

I know… but, some people think if you are against homosexual marriage, that is “anti-gay.” :shrug:

1. They may believe in God, but that does not mean they are Christian. Or even “religious.” Or even correct about the issues. They are many people who consider themselves Christian (erroneously, IMO) and are for gay marriage and abortion, even.

2. I’ll give you an example of “bias/persecution” that needs “clarification.” As the poster above noted----if one is anti-gay marriage-----that is defined by the media at large as “anti-gay.”

There ya go. :blush::shrug:

I believe one problem is that the headlines that FIRST come out are the ones that are remembered by readers, not the clarifications that come later. And of course headlines are meant to grab people’s attention. And there is a lot of agenda-based writing out there, and studies show that the majority of journalists are liberal.

What Francis said was, “If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?” The difference between what he is quoted as saying, and what he actually said, is not minor. Those who parse his words agree, which is why they parse them. It is important to note that the pope did not offer two sentences: his one sentence was chopped to alter his message.

A Lexis-Nexis search discloses that there are 907 articles that cite the phrase, “Who am I to judge” and “Pope Francis.” When letters to the editor and duplicates are filtered out, the final tally is 799. Of that number, 494, or 62 percent of the total, contain just the words, “Who am I to judge?” Only 305, or 38 percent, report the entire sentence. Moreover, it is becoming more common to distort what he said, not less.

From PARSING THE POPE’S WORDS
I don’t want to derail the thread here, but have a look here regarding The New York Times treatment of Pope Benedict.

I’m reading your link the one that says New York Times. All I can say is WOW. I find it pretty disturbing and quite saddening

:frowning:

AMEN, look what has happened to family life since birth control and divorce has been “accepted” in most of our Society. Now SSM and even plural marriage is being accepted. What’s next?? Look what Belguim is doing to their children! Where will it end if ever. Maybe when God says, I’VE had enough!!! God Bless, Memaw

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.