Story Behind December 25th?

Believe it or not, but I found this on the BaptistBoard.com discussion board. Has anyone read this? If so, can anyone vouch for the author and contents (I am limited in my Dec. 25 knowledge). Thank you.

touchstonemag.com/archives/article.php?id=16-10-012-v

[quote=jim1130]Believe it or not, but I found this on the BaptistBoard.com discussion board. Has anyone read this? If so, can anyone vouch for the author and contents (I am limited in my Dec. 25 knowledge). Thank you.

[/quote]

Excellent article!
We appreciate giving it to us.

What Baptist board are you referring to?

Here is a Catholic source of information on the origin of December 25th as the celebratory date of Christ’s birth. It is a bit more reliable for Catholic Christians than a Baptist site:

newadvent.org/cathen/03724b.htm

[quote=LSK]Here is a Catholic source of information on the origin of December 25th as the celebratory date of Christ’s birth. It is a bit more reliable for Catholic Christians than a Baptist site:

newadvent.org/cathen/03724b.htm
[/quote]

Actually is sounds like it is non-denominational:

***The Fellowship of St. James ***(FSJ) was incorporated in the early 1970’s to uphold biblical, orthodox Christianity. It has three goals: (1) to promote and defend classical Christian doctrine, (2) to encourage the life in Christ, (3) and to foster a united witness to biblical Christian truth to a secular society. FSJ is not a church or a membership association, but a Christian non-profit corporation that publishes periodicals and holds conferences and lectures. It seeks to provide a place where Christians of various backgrounds can speak with one another and witness together to the truth of historic Christianity. [left]The enterprise is founded in a shared belief in the fundamental doctrines of the faith as revealed in Holy Scripture and summarized in the ancient creeds of the Church. The issues that divide such Christians are taken seriously but set aside for the work of the common witness through our publications and conferences.
[/left]
And the author is an Eastern Rite Catholic:

William J. Tighe is Associate Professor of History at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, Pennsylvania, and a faculty advisor to the Catholic Campus Ministry. He is a Member of St. Josaphat Ukrainian Catholic Church in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. He is a contributing editor for Touchstone.

You may be correct…I apologize.

[quote=SnorterLuster]Actually is sounds like it is non-denominational:

***The Fellowship of St. James ***(FSJ) was incorporated in the early 1970’s to uphold biblical, orthodox Christianity. It has three goals: (1) to promote and defend classical Christian doctrine, (2) to encourage the life in Christ, (3) and to foster a united witness to biblical Christian truth to a secular society. FSJ is not a church or a membership association, but a Christian non-profit corporation that publishes periodicals and holds conferences and lectures. It seeks to provide a place where Christians of various backgrounds can speak with one another and witness together to the truth of historic Christianity. [left]The enterprise is founded in a shared belief in the fundamental doctrines of the faith as revealed in Holy Scripture and summarized in the ancient creeds of the Church. The issues that divide such Christians are taken seriously but set aside for the work of the common witness through our publications and conferences.
[/left]
And the author is an Eastern Rite Catholic:

William J. Tighe is Associate Professor of History at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, Pennsylvania, and a faculty advisor to the Catholic Campus Ministry. He is a Member of St. Josaphat Ukrainian Catholic Church in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. He is a contributing editor for Touchstone*.*
[/quote]

Yes, it was the BaptistBoard.com. It is under “Other Christian Denominations.”

[quote=TNT]Excellent article!
We appreciate giving it to us.

What Baptist board are you referring to?
[/quote]

Yes, it was the BaptistBoard.com. It is under “Other Christian Denominations.”

[quote=jim1130]Believe it or not, but I found this on the BaptistBoard.com discussion board. Has anyone read this? If so, can anyone vouch for the author and contents (I am limited in my Dec. 25 knowledge). Thank you.

[/quote]

I have tried to join Baptistboard several times. They simply give me the boot when they find out I’m Catholic. I’m not going to lie to join their forum.

I did read some of the article. Like everthing Baptist now, I read it with reservations. I guess I have read so many lies from them it’s hard to accept they can ever write anything totally honest or without bias?

Anyway, I like the way and words they use to describe the Catholic Church. It must be hard for them to even write what they did.

This was an interesting part:
In the East, Epiphany far outstrips Christmas. The reason is that the feast celebrates Christ’s baptism in the Jordan and the occasion on which the Voice of the Father and the Descent of the Spirit both manifested for the first time to mortal men the divinity of the Incarnate Christ and the Trinity of the Persons in the One Godhead.
It looks like there are different definitions of Epiphany, one in the east and the other in the west. Im starting a thread on this issue.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.