Story: Nuns in full habits and friars go into Skid Row giving free food and water

http://cal-catholic.com/small-band-of-friars-and-nuns-in-habits-feed-homeless-in-los-angeles/

“Dressed in a full habit, a straw hat and brown flip-flops, Friar Benjamin, 42, along with a group of three other friars, one nun and three volunteers, shouted, “Cold water! Free food!” as they made their way along the tent-lined streets in the 90-degree summer heat.
They moved slowly, taking time to talk to people about their lives and to ask if they need a prayer.”

“We live for the poor,” said Friar Benjamin. “We always go to the worst areas of the cities, places where you find more violence, drugs, gangs, prostitution, you name it.”
In Los Angeles, this means Skid Row…

Great work. The fact it’s disgraceful such conditions even exist is another matter.

The church has always done great work in these areas. As to the fact that’s it is disgraceful that such conditions exist, you have to remember, the majority of people who live on the streets are there by choice.

:worried::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_monocle::unamused:

http://www.coalitionforthehomeless.org/the-catastrophe-of-homelessness/faqs-and-myths/#3

Myth: It is their fault they are homeless.

Fact: Three decades of research and experience show that people become homeless for a myriad of reasons: loss of a job or lowered wages, health care crisis, increased rent, a family emergency or even landlord bullying. Surveys at the central intake center for homeless families in New York City show that more than a quarter of families seek shelter directly after an eviction, roughly one-fifth seek shelter fleeing domestic violence, and many others seek shelter after residing in doubled-up, overcrowded or substandard housing. Many families seeking shelter recently suffered job losses or a loss of public benefits.

True, don’t dispute that. I am referring here more to the chronically homeless. Those discharged from institutions because the law says they can’t be kept against their will, so they end up living under a bridge somewhere. Many drug addicted veterans and others end up there also. Maybe not so much by choice, but by circumstances they cannot overcome.

This is so outrageous I shall not even attempt to answer it. God Bless!

Sure, there may be some out there who prefer living on the streets; however, I’ve done quite a bit of work with the poor, and the vast majority of those I’ve worked with are homeless due to factors outside of their control, or because of a poor personal choice compounded by bad luck. Most homeless people want better lives and strive to make that happen. Even with so-called government handouts, it’s still oftentimes difficult for them.

Maybe true. To you and the poster above you, INP, I am referring to the CHRONICALLY homeless. Those people who live on the streets, who are only comfortable on the streets, because it is the life they know. People who can’t care for themselves, who are drug addicted and can’t cope with the daily responsibilities of life (reference the guy who spent his last $20 bucks for gas, the people raised $400,000. for him, and he spent it on drugs and a trailer he couldn’t keep and was back on the street)
People who have bad luck may end up on the streets for a period of time. But in todays society where everyone is hiring and looking for workers, those on the streets have the means to get off them, IF THEY WANT TO. Not so outrageous!!

Tell that to them. Seriously, go up to a homeless guy and say this. Best case scenario, he’ll laugh. Worst case…

You cannot say any large number of people ‘prefer’ to starve out on the cold streets. Misfortune is not sloth.

You go up to him, tell him the store down the street is hiring, he can get a 40 hour a week job, rent a room or an apartment. If he wants to, he can get off the street. And some will. And a whole lot would rather sit on their a** and collect welfare and do drugs or whatever.
A lot of these people, the CHRONICALLY homeless prefer to stay homeless because it is the life they are comfortable with, for whatever reason.
Bureau of Labor Statistics recently released a statistic that there are .95% of a person for every job in America. There are not enough laborers. This is America, if you want to earn your keep, you can. If you want to get off the street, you can. The system, flawed as it is, can be used to alleviate homelessness for those who DON’T WANT TO LIVE ON THE STREET.

the largest growing homeless group in Australia is women over the age of 50 . They cannot afford the rents and there is a 10 year waiting list for accommodation , and it is prioritised for families and children

why are these women becoming homeless, life circumstances. They are not couch surfing or on the street by choice.

I agree there and its a real tragedy that society does this and doesn’t look after people. Jesus taught the opposite.

I’m done here. You clearly have your own specific view which nothing will change.

With you, so am I. Enjoy the sky in that world of yours.

Thanks, I will. The magical world where people would rather be warm at home than cold in the street.

You nean, the guy who a couple raised $400,000 for, because he spent his last $20 on gas for the guy’s wife? And now the police have raided their home, because the authorities are trying to track where the money, most of which never went to him, did go?

Do you always slander total strangers just to falsely prop up your point? At least now we know not to believe anything you say.

I recognize what you are saying. And I would imagine that here in the U.S. the problem of people not addicts, or chronically homeless is a growing concern. But given the fact that as I said in another post, there is statistically less than one person for every available job, coupled with the government and private security nets, anyone who wants to get off the street can, if they apply themselves. Yes, it can take time, and it does take some will to do so, but those who want to make a better life, can find the way to do so. I just think more and more people believe that it should just be handed to them.
And I do think the government can do more, as should private enterprise.

:worried: I hope and pray you never have to learn first hand how difficult it is to get off the streets once you are there and have been there for sometime (especially in a place with cost of living as high as Los Angeles)…

Who did I slander? The vet who spent his $20 buck admitted to spending 25K on drugs and did buy a trailer but lost it to his own incompetence. Yes, the couple have a lot to answer for, especially since the guy involved said he would burn the money before giving it to the vet in question. I slandered no one. I cited the truth. The vet who spent the 20 did burn through a good bit of cash on a drug habit, and he did lose the "home: (trailer) that was purchased or given to him. He is again living under the bridge he was found under. That is a fact, and the truth isn’t slander. Might want to consider your response before hitting reply.

And the good thing from the story is that Go Fund Me has said that the young man is going to get the whole $400,000.00. Hope that comes to fruition.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.