Story of four-year-old’s near-death experience transfixes America

When doctors told preacher Todd Burpo his four-year-old son was going to die from a burst appendix he railed against God for taking him to heaven too soon.

What he did not expect was that little Colton would not only survive his near-death experience on the operating table but would come back full of stories of the angels and rainbows he had seen while unconscious.

He told his parents that while visiting heaven he met John the Baptist and the Virgin Mary, and sat at Jesus’s knee.

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10793543/Story-of-four-year-olds-near-death-experience-transfixes-America.html

read the book and saw the movie which was very touching. In the book, Todd Burbo does give some kudos to the Catholic church. I highly recommend both and to see and read the book not as a theological treatise but as an experience through the eyes of a four year old.
Colton described Jesus with “markers” which are the wounds of Christ. Todd wrote in the book that he thought since the Catholic Church has crucifixes, it is easier for children to see what the crucifixion means, something missing from Protestant churches. That child actor was just amazing.

Is this movie only available in the US or also in Mexico?

I see, “Son of God” is playing now! I’m surprised, didn’t think it’d be here!

I thought it was interesting he said nearly all the images of Jesus were wrong, except for 1, which was apparently painted by another child that had an NDE of her own, I cant think of her name off the top of my head, but I did see the painting he referred to and it is quite impressive.

I find it strange so many people are telling others to avoid believing too much in this story though…?? why would they say that? Personally I believe he saw what he claimed. There is no other way he could have possibly known some of the things he brought up.

There are some good points made by critics. Two of them are that A) He didn’t have a near-death experience because the medical reports don’t reflect any condition other than stable. B) The story evolved, and was probably heavily embellished, over a period of nine years.

Was he baptised at the time of the NDE? If not, I would be puzzled by the scene of him sitting on Jesus’ lap.

I’ve read a lot of these NDE experiences. Some do their homework before relating the story, and I’m not critiquing the stories. It’s just that has Catholics we can expect a certain pattern to unfold in the next world if doctrine is true, otherwise heaven clanks out beta versions of Doctrine 1.0 :rolleyes:

There’s no such thing as a near death experience.
Death occurs when the soul leaves the body-- whatever visions people have (which I’m sure are real to them) are due to natural cuases, probably neurotransmitters released in the brain or the like.

I saw the movie as it was recommended to us by my in-laws (and they watched the kids while we went and saw it). I am not sure I understood the point of the movie and the pastor’s dilemma. It came across as if he thought, he couldn’t believe or preach about an actual, physical heaven or even an afterlife, which seems like an odd dilemma for a Christian pastor. Maybe I don’t know enough about the Wesleyan religion. I also didn’t understand the point of sermon given at the end of the movie. :shrug: Maybe I wasn’t paying enough attention. I thought the scene in the cemetery, with the church lady, and the logic used by the pastor (though ultimately flawed) as the best scene in the movie. The painting by the girl in Lithuania was cool.

So I thought it wasn’t a great movie, but it also wasn’t terrible. It was generally respectful of the idea of Heaven and Jesus. Like I said, the point or climax of the movie was confusing or lost. (Seemed like he down played the existence of heaven, and thus his sons “visions,” for the theory, that we will each see our own individual heavens).

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.