Story of Jesus Christ was 'fabricated to pacify the poor', claims controversial Biblical scholar

Thoughts?

Story of Jesus Christ was ‘fabricated to pacify the poor’, claims controversial Biblical scholar

Christianity was a sophisticated government propaganda exercise used to pacify the subjects of a the Roman Empire, claims scholar.

A controversial American biblical scholar is set to make his first appearance in London next week to present a discovery that he claims proves the story of Jesus Christ was invented as a system of mind control to enslave the poor.

Joseph Atwill, who is the author of a book entitled ‘Caesar’s Messiah: The Roman Conspiracy to Invent Jesus’, asserts that Christianity did not begin as a religion, but was actually a sophisticated government propaganda exercise used to pacify the subjects of the Roman Empire.

At the ‘Covert Messiah’ conference, to be held at the Conway Hall in Holborn a week on Saturday, Mr Atwill will present his theory that the New Testament was written by first-century Roman aristocrats and that they entirely fabricated the story of Jesus Christ.

Outlining his ideas in a blog posting on his website Mr Atwill writes: “Christianity may be considered a religion, but it was actually developed and used as a system of mind control to produce slaves that believed God decreed their slavery.”

Mr Atwill says that acts of insurrection by Jewish sects, who were awaiting the arrival of a so-called ‘warrior Messiah’ in Palestine, were a perpetual problem for the Roman Empire and that after the Empire had exhausted all traditional means of dealing with the problem they resorted to psychological warfare.

“They surmised that the way to stop the spread of zealous Jewish missionary activity was to create a competing belief system,” Atwill told PRWeb.com

"That’s when the ‘peaceful’ Messiah story was invented.

“Instead of inspiring warfare, this Messiah urged turn-the-other-cheek pacifism and encouraged Jews to ‘give onto Caesar’ and pay their taxes to Rome.”

Mr Atwill continues: "Although Christianity can be a comfort to some, it can also be very damaging and repressive, an insidious form of mind control that has led to blind acceptance of serfdom, poverty, and war throughout history.

To this day, especially in the United States, it is used to create support for war in the Middle East."

Elsewhere, Mr Atwill also writes: “In fact he [Jesus] may be the only fictional character in literature whose entire life story can be traced to other sources. Once those sources are all laid bare, there’s simply nothing left.”

Atwill says he made his discovery when while studying the New Testament alongside the ‘War of the Jews’ by Josephus - the only surviving first-person historical account of first-century Judea.

Mr Atwill claims that he began to notice a sequence of parallels between the two texts.

“What seems to have eluded many scholars is that the sequence of events and locations of Jesus ministry are more or less the same as the sequence of events and locations of the military campaign of [Emperor] Titus Flavius as described by Josephus,” Atwill claims.

“This is clear evidence of a deliberately constructed pattern”, he continues.

“The biography of Jesus is actually constructed, tip to stern, on prior stories, but especially on the biography of a Roman Caesar.”

Richard Dawkins, the English evolutionary biologist and author, well known for his anti-religion views, yesterday tweeted a link to the press release advertising the event in London.

However, he later tweeted: “RT doesn’t imply endorsement. I’m not qualified to judge Atwill’s thesis. Just thought it might be worth a look.”

Mr Atwill’s theory is simply one of a number of what are known as Bible conspiracy theories.

These theories commonly include the suggestion that secret societies, mystery schools and other religions used the fictional story of Christ to unify the Roman Empire under one state religion.

independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/story-of-jesus-christ-was-fabricated-to-pacify-the-poor-claims-controversial-biblical-scholar-8870879.html

The problem with that contention is that the vast preponderance of reputable historians, even the atheists, acknowledge that the evidence indicates that Jesus Christ was a real historical person.

So, it’s the authoritative historical evidence vs. baseless contention of this guy.

Where do I look for that book at the library…under fantasy or conspiracy theories…:smiley:

:rotfl:

Atwill seems to have bought Nietzsche’s thesis hook, line, and sinker.

(Except that Nietzsche extended the “claim inferiority as victory” meme to all Jews. As a German in 19th-century Germany. Soooo… anti-Semite? Nah… can’t be; must be philosophy so sublime that only the uber-mensch can grasp it. :rolleyes:)

Mr Atwill says that acts of insurrection by Jewish sects, who were awaiting the arrival of a so-called ‘warrior Messiah’ in Palestine, were a perpetual problem for the Roman Empire and that after the Empire had exhausted all traditional means of dealing with the problem they resorted to psychological warfare.

Rome ended up wiping out and/or exiling all the Jews. No psychological warfare needed. They just turned their army loose against a mostly unarmed opponent.
Then the same Emperors persecuted and attempted to kill off the same Christian religion that they supposedly fabricated.
I guess the Old Testament prophecies of Jesus were part of it … oh yeah, Jesus never existed supposedly. Christians were tortured and wouldn’t renounce their faith because … ???

Eventually, instead of attacking Christianity, each conspiracy theorist should attack all of the others that disagree with him. :yawn:

This guy has been around for a while. A search led me to an exchange between R. Carrier and him where both basically call each other idiots. Of course both are right.

He is selling books.

Wouldn’t ‘Biblical Scholar’ be the fabrication?

The man’s an idiot only intent on selling books through controversy, not through actual historical scholarship

Pray for him, but otherwise ignore him, he’ll be asked to account for these blasphemies eventually.

Every day ending in “Y” I can find somebody online yapping about Jesus being a made-up fairytale. And half of those somebodies are trying to sell a book, movie or other stuff off their yapping.

Can’t say as I care. The mere fact that this is still making news 2000 years after Jesus’s time, while this guy will likely be forgotten in 2 decades if that, speaks volumes.

Oh. I guess we can all sleep late on Sunday mornings then…:doh2:

Chicken Little said the sky was falling.

I believe Joseph Atwell was made up to appease atheists and doesn’t really exist.

Beware the person who claims that they have found that which was hidden from every other scholar in the world.

True. After the second Jewish revolt, the Romans obliterated the Jews in Jerusalem; no made-up messiah needed.

Was slaughtering Christians in the Roman Circus "invented as a system of mind control to enslave the poor? " It looks like a sophisticated Atwell propaganda exercise.

Bottom line, if it’s a hoax

then

Consider Paschal’s wager (paraphrased)

If there is nothing after this life, then we just die, no harm no foul. No consequence good or bad for our actions. It’s like we were never here.

If there is a life after this, and this article you printed is the hoax, and Jesus is exactly who is presented by the Catholic Church, then all who follow what’s printed above are screwed for all eternity.

Since there is no clock in the after life, a billion years from **now **is still now in eternity. If one is in hell, they are there for eternity. No chance, no hope, of change , no end for them. Misery forever.

Thus the wager.

BUt when time does not exist, ‘forever’ does not have the same meaning that it does when used in reference to our time or our version of time, ‘forever’/ eternity would feel like 3 minutes and/or 3 million years, when there is literally NO TIME, forever and/or eternity has no meaning.

I do not think we can comprehend an existence without some version of time, when people think about forever or eternity, they equate that with a VERY VERY LONG TIME, billions or trillions of decades concurrently…but when time does not exist, that is probably not an accurate description of what it feels like.

On this side of eternity we have to use analogies for what’s coming…i.e. something is “like”

For example

As Peter taught

2 Pet 3:
8 But do not ignore this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

That’s the way it is outside of time. No clock. All I can say, I know where I want to be in the next life and who I want to be with…The Lord Jesus

Is Mr Atwill a Communist…the sounds like something a non Christian Communist of the USSR period would say.

There is a major problem with Mr Atwills position… In the Roman Empire anyone could make it to the top those born poor or rich and regardless of ones skin color or ethnicity …the 33rd Roman Emperor was an Arab and possibly the First Christian Emperor almost 100 years before Constantine.

He clearly skipped all the passages like ’ The rich man and Lazarus’

Scalars have gone through the Bible and highlighted around two thousand passages that refer to justice for the poor and oppressed. They have called this Bible the Poverty and Justice Bible.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.