Strange dream

This morning my husband woke up earlier, got up and went to watch TV. He closed the door to the bedroom so i will be able to sleep more. Then suddenly i heard the door open and a small child like 6-7 years was looking at me from the open door. He/she was blond with blue eyes. "Everybody left", he said "and i am alone and i am scared and i am hungry." I said "stay there, i am coming immediately." I got out of bed, put my sleepers on and went to the kitchen, then i saw my husband in the living room watching TV and i realized there is no kid in the house and that it was a dream. However such a real dream that i really got out of bed and went to the kitchen.

Did it happen anything like that to you and do you think it has meaning?

That is a little spooky! I'm not too surprised that it would be that vivid though. My most vivid dreams are when I've woken up briefly then gone back to sleep and suddenly my dreams are quite real and I recall every detail when I finally do get up. They have been real enough for me to wake up crying (because I've been crying in the dream), or wake up and respond to something my husband said in the dream only to find my husband not there or still asleep. While I've never quite had a dream that has caused me to actually get up and leave the room, I'd say it might have something to do with already having been roused from sleep not long before. Also, did you have anything to eat right before bed? I dare not eat pizza before bed since it seems to be the culprit that brings me nightmares lol.

As far as meaning, if I had had that dream, my thoughts would stray to, is this a child I'm supposed to have at some point? But I'm a little superstitious when it comes to dreams.

Dreams can mean alot of things, yet many times mean nothing at all...just a manifestation of our inner thoughts and experiences. Most dreams I've had that were "real-like", I kinda deduced that they were a reflection of me in some way.

Anyway, as to your dream...something stands out to me in the fact that your husband got up before you, then the "child appeared" and then you woke to tend to a need, and there, in now reality, was your husband.

Forgive me if I'm prying, but may I ask what your husband's religious life is like? Or, how is the marriage (any pressing debates/arguments/disagreements... )?

My initial thought (and just to make this clear, I am NOT a psychologist or qualified analyst...I work in agriculture ;) ) when I read about this child, what was said, and who was really in the other room, is that he represented Jesus in your husband.

ahs

[quote="ahs, post:3, topic:251172"]

Forgive me if I'm prying, but may I ask what your husband's religious life is like? Or, how is the marriage (any pressing debates/arguments/disagreements... )?

ahs

[/quote]

He is Catholic and i became Catholic after i married him. We go to Church and everything so it's a normal religious life. No arguments, no debates, no disagreements. We are as i may say a perfectly normal and happy couple.

[quote="ahs, post:3, topic:251172"]

My initial thought (and just to make this clear, I am NOT a psychologist or qualified analyst...I work in agriculture ;) ) when I read about this child, what was said, and who was really in the other room, is that he represented Jesus in your husband.

ahs

[/quote]

You lost me here, i don't understand what you mean.

[quote="cristyd, post:5, topic:251172"]
You lost me here, i don't understand what you mean.

[/quote]

I was saying (again, just my initial interpretation and maybe the furthest things from reality) that the child in your dream represented Jesus, who is alive in our hearts. (Our bodies are a Temple for the Holy Spirit...who is a Person of the Triune God...God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit).

The child said he was alone, scared and hungry. When you went to tend to the child, you woke to find your husband there...and no child.

I interpreted that as Christ, in the form of a child (and representing your husband's fatith-life), saying that your husband is in spiritual need...that Christ/Faith within him is not being nurtured in some sense. And you are being called to nurture that need for Christ in your husband.

Now, don't take all that as me telling you that this is what your dream meant. You asked if we thought the dream had any meaning so I was offering a potential meaning (yet I also said that most dreams don't mean anything at all...and that may even be the case with this dream). :)

And just so you don't think I'm pointing any fingers: my interpretation of the dream also reveals something about me. If I see that child as representing Christ and automatically think that Christ is feeling un-nurtured in a person and expressing that in a dream, that could suggest that I, myself, am not nurturing my Christian Faith as I should...perhaps I am slacking in prayer life, getting lazy with my daily devotions, etc... ;)

[quote="cristyd, post:1, topic:251172"]
This morning my husband woke up earlier, got up and went to watch TV. He closed the door to the bedroom so i will be able to sleep more. Then suddenly i heard the door open and a small child like 6-7 years was looking at me from the open door. He/she was blond with blue eyes. "Everybody left", he said "and i am alone and i am scared and i am hungry." I said "stay there, i am coming immediately." I got out of bed, put my sleepers on and went to the kitchen, then i saw my husband in the living room watching TV and i realized there is no kid in the house and that it was a dream. However such a real dream that i really got out of bed and went to the kitchen.

Did it happen anything like that to you and do you think it has meaning?

[/quote]

Do you have children, or are you trying to have children?

Or, did one of your parents die when you were young? Or are you worried that something may happen to you and your husband and your child(ren) will be left alone?

Many times we dream about what we are worried about when we are awake.

Although I've had some training in Dream analysis, I'm also a fervently orthodox (little o) Catholic.

My first inclination after reading your dream was a religious one, and one which is very clear to me, so I would encourage you to take it seriously and ask the Lord, in prayer, about this. Was the child one with blond curly hair? The reason that I ask, and not that it matters too much, was that the young Christ child is often depicted as a boy with blond curly hair and blue eyes. At first reading of your dream this was exactly the child that I pictured. Also, it has been said, that the Christ child has appeared to people, in this way, as a way of asking them to consider some sort of "act of mercy" for children.

Now, to approach this from the Psychological training that I've had in this area. I was a Psych major and I took a class on Sleep and Dreams as part of my curriculum. (just so you are aware that it wasn't some crazy book I read.) Typically when we dream, since we are the dreamer, we control everything that happens in the dream. Because of this, only the dreamer can truly analyze the dream; but I can help you by giving some guidance. For one thing, it sounds like this dream was very short and very real to you. (the real part and the fact that you slept walked, doesn't relate to the meaning of the dream.) The shortness of the dream, only means that we have less to deal with. Ask yourself, did you know the child? If yes, how well? If you knew the child well then generally you are dreaming about something you are feeling about that particular child. If you knew the child, but not well, then chances are the child represents something to you. He may represent someone that you know (ie. another child with similar features or actions, or even an adult that acts "child-like" that you could envision like that child, when they were young, etc.) The next question that you should ask yourself is, "Do I feel like I am neglecting a child or a "child-like" adult in someway? (this would be someone that you've been thinking about LATELY. It may be someone that you have thought about A LOT, or it could even be some child that you DON'T know, but that you saw on a commercial for hungry needy children recently. Psychologically, this dream would say that you are subconsciously feeling that you are neglecting someone, probably a child, or children, in some fashion. (It's possible, that it's not even a hungry child, as in hungry for food; but a child that is hungry for attention.) Generally if you find that is the case, then you've solved the meaning of the dream. :thumbsup:

I caution you to not dismiss the dream too quickly if you can't find a reasonable cause of it. This is because it is entirely possible that Christ is trying to reach you through your mothering instincts. He may be calling you to Serve HIM! Christ often calls us through His basic needs in terms of, "I thirst", "I am Hungry", when in reality He is trying to tell you that He thirsts for YOU, He is hungry for YOU'RE LOVE, etc. I strongly urge you to take time to pray and ask the Christ child if that was Him calling you? Ask Mary, mother to all of us, to pray for you and to ask her son on your behalf, if He was calling you to serve Him in some capacity and to ask Her son what that capacity is. (Of course always be sure to go to Him on your own as well, as she is only our powerful helper in prayer to Him.) Then be sure to ask Him to show you how you are to serve Him? Afterward, you can also ask Him to show you the meaning of your dream, and if it is someone in your dream that He needs you to serve and how you're to serve them. In this way, all of your basis will be covered. :clapping:

I'll be happy to pray that He guides you in finding your answer.

His now and for eternity,
Bluemary

A beautiful answer. Thank you very much.

Did i know the child in my dream or in real life? Apparently in my dream i probably knew him because i was not at all surprised at his appearance at my door when i knew very well i live only with my husband. In real life i have never seen him. That is why i was very confused. In my dream i didn’t ask him who he is, i just know and get up to check on him. I don’t know if it was curly blond, more like blond and untidy, like after sleeping.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.