Strange fertility question

Both my mom and grandma had fertility problems/problems conceiving, so needless to say my sister will probably have the same problems herself some day.

But I was wondering: as a man, will my fertility also be affected because of my mom's fertility problems? Or are parental fertility problems gender-specific?

Pax!

can’t answer that w/o knowing the cause, and also knowing if the cause is genetic, ask your mother to ask her doctor to give you any info you need

Don’t know, but if you figure it out, let me know! :thumbsup: Personally I am infertile. I don’t mean I have fertility problems, true infertility caused by who knows what. They haven’t pin pointed it yet, but are suspecting Endometriosis. No one in my family had infertility (there are some miscarriage issues, but no troubles conceiving.) BOOM. I’m infertile. How on earth did I get infertility without it being passed on genetically? Some people are just born with fertility issues, sometimes it has to do with childhood illnesses, medications taken, or tests undergone for medical reasons. It can even come from your diet.

Hope this helps. PM me if you want to ask more questions. I’ll try to help best I can.

I have never personally been tested for infertility and since I’m not yet married I have no way of knowing one way or another. It was more a thought experiment and it’s an interesting thing to look into…not sure where to look for this type of info, though…

I don’t know where to look either. All I’m saying is that their infertility problems may or may not be related. And they may have had better fertility if they had married someone else, even if they did have an underlying medical issue causing it. It is such a delicate thing that you really won’t know for sure until you are married. :wink:

Offering medical advice is against forum rules. No one can determine or for suggest fertility possibilities based on an anonymous internet post.

I think it depends on what KIND of fertility problems that your family has had.

For example, my brother, sisters and I all had trouble conceiving. My parents did not. My elder sister and I were eventually able to conceive, my brother was not, my younger sister ended up with a complete hysterectomy at the age of 27.

My father-in-law and his brother had the mumps when they were 16 and 13 years old, so they were never able to sire children. However, their other brother who had a very mild case (at age 14) had no trouble, and their younger sister (who was only 10) who never caught the disease was only able to have one child and was infertile afterwards.

Without knowing the causes of their infertility, it would be really hard to guess about your odds of having trouble.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.