Strange question...

I really don’t know where to put this so mods…feel free.

Why don’t Catholic men wear kippah (a yammika or skullcap)? I know that the Cardinals and Pope wear a skullcap, but why not all males? Dosen’t that show an elevated respect for God in your life? Is it just a cultural thing, and it died out as Christianity grew to cover your head before God? I don’t know. I guess I’m just trying as a Gentile to look deeper into the Jewish roots of the tree we’ve been grafted onto.

That is an interesting question, since until very recently, men were expected to remove their hats in church and women covered their heads with a mantilla or hat. There are times, though, when a bishop removes his zucchetto during Mass. Likewise, a priest wearing a biretta (yes, they can still wear one if they want to!) removes it during the Consecration and at other times.

This comes from the teaching of St. Paul, 1 Cor. 11:[4] Any man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head…
[7] For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God…

Couldn’t we wear them everywhere except church and prayer? That would still be a show of respect for God if only He got to have you take your head covering off and nobody else…

In our society, gentlemen are expected to remove their hats indoors, whether it’s a religious building or not.

I don’t know if you’re old enough to remember it, but there have been dust-ups in the past, where men who wear religious head-gear were banned from certain establishments because they refused to remove their head-gear indoors. So, because of that, the rule has changed since then that if a man is wearing religious head-gear, he may continue to wear it even indoors - otherwise, he is expected to remove it.

yarmulke

zucchetto

Is this illustrating the contrast between the two? One’s off and one’s on?

I believe that zuchettos have their origin in the medieval practice of a cleric shaving the top of his head (not all of his hair, just a circle at the top of their head) when they were tonsured. Because of how cold the inside of churches could get, there was a concern about heat loss from the top of the head. A covering was created to prevent heat loss. The covering is the zuchetto.

Black zuchettos are worn by priests and deacons. Light purple/violet for (arch)bishops. Red for cardinals. White for the Pope.

The practice of priests and deacons wearing zuchettos as part of their clerics has fallen away (although they certainly may do so), while bishops really only wear theirs up until the Liturgy of the Eucharist, although they are part of their clerics when they wear a bishop’s cassock. I believe priests and deacons may wear theirs while celebrating Mass (same rule applies about removing it at the start of the Liturgy of the Eucharist), unless the Bishop is celebrating Mass, in which case the priest or deacon is not to wear theirs.

Thanks for the Scriptural basis for this.

Now I wonder if this applies when they play the national anthem as well? :wink:

Is this illustrating the contrast between the two? One’s off and one’s on?

Actually, it was demonstrating the correct spelling for one and the proper name for the other.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.