Strangest/Scariest Bible Stories

Apart from their abstract or literary meanings, what do you think are some of the strangest Bible stories? I mean suppose you were a kid, or someone who took everything literally, what do you think are the most graphically weird stories in the Bible?

I think the one where the Levite cut his concubine into 12 pieces and distributed her, is one of the most gory scenes in the OT. (Judges 19). Another strange one is where Ehud murders the very fat King Eglon in his private chamber.

Its strange that it is a talking donkey in the book of Numbers.

That a guy was crucified, died, was buried, rose from the dead, walked out of his own grave and then ate fish with his friends.

-Tim-

Unusual, sure, but not scary :):):slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA

The scene where King Saul enlists the witch of Endor to conjure Samuel from the dead in 1Samuel 28.

I always thought the verse when God sends 2 bears to kill a bunch of young kids for mocking a man that was going bald, was kind of strange.

Then there is this…

Genesis 16:8

And he said “Hagar, Sarai’s slave girl, where have you come from and where are you going?” She answered, “I’m running away from Sarai, my mistress.” The angel of the Lord said to her, “Go back to your mistress and submit to ill treatment at her hands.

Theres a few other verses, which after reading, I was kind of like ‘huh’, why would they even put that in there.

I actually thought that was very cool. (Speaking of which, it’s likely that the ‘private chamber’ Eglon was in at the time was actually the toilet facility of the palace, and the ‘vestibule’ Ehud escaped into is actually the latrine or sewer.) :wink:

I’m surprised that there’s no mention of those crushed testicles yet. “No one whose testicles are crushed or whose male organ is cut off shall enter the assembly of the LORD.” " ‘No man of your offspring throughout their generations who has a defect shall approach to offer the food of his God. For no one who has a defect shall approach: a blind man, or a lame man, or he who has a disfigured face, or any deformed limb, or a man who has a broken foot or broken hand, or a hunchback or a dwarf, or one who has a defect in his eye or eczema or scabs or crushed testicles."

I find Matthew 25: 41-46 to be very scary. I’ve done all of those things. :eek:

Ezekiel 37

1. The hand of the Lord was on me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the Lord and set me in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones. 2 He led me back and forth among them, and I saw a great many bones on the floor of the valley, bones that were very dry. 3 He asked me, “Son of man, can these bones live?”

I said, “Sovereign Lord, you alone know.”

4 Then he said to me, “Prophesy to these bones and say to them, ‘Dry bones, hear the word of the Lord! 5 This is what the Sovereign Lord says to these bones: I will make breath[a] enter you, and you will come to life. 6 I will attach tendons to you and make flesh come upon you and cover you with skin; I will put breath in you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the Lord.’”

7 So I prophesied as I was commanded. And as I was prophesying, there was a noise, a rattling sound, and the bones came together, bone to bone. 8 I looked, and tendons and flesh appeared on them and skin covered them, but there was no breath in them.

9 Then he said to me, “Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and say to it, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Come, breath, from the four winds and breathe into these slain, that they may live.’” 10 So I prophesied as he commanded me, and breath entered them; they came to life and stood up on their feet—a vast army.

• 1!

ICXC NiKA

Ouch!

How about when Saul makes David cut off something like 100 foreskins before he can marry Michal?

Strangest. Dowry. Ever.

It sort of makes sense in context: Saul wanted to get rid of David, so he virtually asked for the impossible. The plan sort of backfires when David actually manages to get the foreskins.

Not strange at all.

Elisha’s bald head clearly identified him as a Nazarite, one who was under a vow to the God of Abraham. He was clearly a faithful Jew and was entering the city of Bethel in the northern nation of Israel. Bethel had become a center of pagan worship among the Jewish people.

So the king took counsel, and made two calves of gold. And he said to the people, “You have gone up to Jerusalem long enough. Behold your gods, O Israel, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt.” And he set one in Bethel, and the other he put in Dan. And this thing became a sin, for the people went to the one at Bethel and to the other as far as Dan. (1 Kings 12:28-30)

God had promised that if the Jews turned from Him and worshiped foreign Gods that their children would be devoured by wild beasts.

Then if you walk contrary to me, and will not hearken to me, I will bring more plagues upon you, sevenfold as many as your sins. And I will let loose the wild beasts among you, which shall rob you of your children, and destroy your cattle, and make you few in number, so that your ways shall become desolate. (Leviticus 26:21-22)

This was part of the blessing and curse which came with the covenant which the people had willingly entered into. The people of Israel knew this would happen if they worshiped foreign gods but they did it anyway. 42 children destroyed by beasts would have been front page news and they should have repented but they did not.

-Tim-

I wonder what the story behind this story is about, or if it is just “bathroom humor”?

I wonder if there was any significance to the number 42?

I still think this is a scary story, mostly because it involves children. Or do you think “children” was a euphemism for young men? In any case it definitely could make a great picture!

Another gory one is Jezebel being thrown into the street for the dogs to eat!

In terms of the more hair-raising ones, I would pick the medium of Endor episode (1st Samuel 28)

Wrong. Its very sad not frightening. :rolleyes:

The Massacre of the Innocents in Matthew gets my vote. Or multiple sections of The Apocalypse (Revelation).

Don’t you know that the answer is always 42??:slight_smile:

IMS, in Hebrew, children can refer to the young adults rather than “bambinos.” The same would apply in Psalm 137.

ICXC NIKA.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.