Striking breast at end of Hail, Holy Queen

Does anybody know where this tradition comes from?

I'm especially curious because every other time we are called to strike our breast during prayer, it is penitential - for instance, during the Confiteor, or at the "forgive us our trespasses" during the Our Father.

But I don't see what's penitential in the "O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary" part of the prayer.

Thanks!

Hiyas:)

This is interesting. I never heard of it.
I only do it at the Kerya lay [spelling] Lord Have Mercy…part in Mass.

Will be waiting for answers here.

Thank you

I’ve NEVER seen any Priest, Deacon, other religious, or any other Catholic strike their breast at the end of HHQ. The whole idea would make no sense to me.:confused:

And there is NOTHING in the LOTH to suggest otherwise.

(LOTH = Liturgy Of The Hours aka The Divine Office. HHQ is one of several antiphones that can be recited at the end of Night Prayer.):gopray:

I’ve never heard of striking the breast at the Our Father.

There are all sorts of individual tastes in marginal pieties and customs in private prayer.

There’s no point in worrying about them.

[quote="pachomius, post:1, topic:178597"]
Does anybody know where this tradition comes from?

I'm especially curious because every other time we are called to strike our breast during prayer, it is penitential - for instance, during the Confiteor, or at the "forgive us our trespasses" during the Our Father.

But I don't see what's penitential in the "O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary" part of the prayer.

Thanks!

[/quote]

I am unfamiliar of it, but it seems at the least a natural act of piety. Striking the breast is not just a matter of pure penance, but also to awaken the heart and since it is natural to do so in threes because of the habit produced by the confiteor, whenever something comes along like this it fits quite nicely.

Bump.

I am still curious about this and hope to get more replies. My family and I noticed the priest striking his breast at the end while we prayed with this online interactive rosary come pray the rosary.

Thanks

It is probably his own pious practice. I have never ever seen it done.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.