Striking ray of light beams off the World Trade Center days before the 15th anniversary of 9/11

abc7ny.com/society/striking-ray-of-light-beams-off-wtc-days-before-9-11-anniversary/1504147/

Striking ray of light beams off the World Trade Center days before the 15th anniversary of 9/11.

Very beautiful. Hard to believe it’s been 15 years since 9/11. There’s already an entire generation who have almost grown up having no memory of that day, and no understanding of its importance.

Makes me wonder how long it will be until 9/11 goes back to largely just being another day on the calendar. One we remember something bad happened, but that isn’t terribly personally thought of anymore such as what’s largely happened to December 7. Perhaps someone from the older generations can shed light on how December 7 has evolved as a remembrance over time?

Well, in Newfoundland, July 1 – the commemoration of the Battle of Beaumont-Hamel, where the Newfoundland Regiment was practically annihilated (90% casualties) – was made into a public holiday, so it was an “official reminder” year after year, keeping it in the public consciousness.

In the Commonwealth, the date of the Armistice of WWI (Nov 11) became Remembrance Day. – Memorial Day in the US. The Australians and New Zealanders commemorate ANZAC Day, April 25, for the Battle of Gallipoli.

If the US had an official commemoration – “Terrorism Memorial Day” or whatever they want to call it – it would keep it in the public consciousness, and you can bet that starting before Labor Day, the network specials, Ken Burns documentaries and Gary Sinise shows would educate Americans on the date’s importance.

Might be a good reason to have such a day. But at the same time it seems somewhat presumptuous of this generation to have such a day for 9/11 when no such holiday exists on Dec 7, V-E Day or V-J Day in the US.

It’s funny, I think the generation that lives through such tragic days like Dec 7 or 9/11 aren’t the ones that grasp the magnitude of the day and maybe we don’t want to. It takes time for history to put such tragic times in perspective, so future generations will likely look at those days in a more historic perspective and remembrance than we do.

As a New Yorker, I lived through that day and the time after, yet I give it surprisingly little thought these days. I don’t watch the anniversary TV shows and I haven’t even been back to see the re-build of downtown and the Freedom Tower. I’m not sure why - am I afraid the emotions will finally come out? Am I blocking it all out? The only emotional time I’ve had since 9/11 was from a movie, “The Walk”, which was the story of Phillipe Petite and his tight-rope walk across the towers. The end of the movie had me balling, and I mean uncontrollably crying, in front of my daughter. I couldn’t control myself and my daughter had never seen my like that. I’m not sure she understood. I’m not sure I did either. It just was what it was.

m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1046341792139365&substory_index=0&id=892121970894682&tn=%2As

The iconic image.

I agree. I was just addressing the means by which such a day would be maintained in the public consciousness, without necessarily

I also think there should have been one Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. You don’t need one for every war.* One fallen soldier “known but to God” I think is sufficient to represent every soldier who ever fell in any field. Just like Memorial Day is the day to remember every fallen soldier, and Veteran’s Day for every vet.

*Note: That does NOT mean I think the subsequent Tombs should be gotten rid of. I just think that the initial Tomb would/should have been sufficient to commemorate all soldiers of all time.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.