Striving for chastity

(second attempt - admin please let me know if any more rules are broken before permanently disabling my account, thanks)

Hello. I would like to share something with you that has helped me in my struggle for purity. I am a Catholic man married for 10 years and we have been using NFP for many years to avoid having more children due to medical reasons. For these same medical reasons our opportunities for full physical love are sometimes far between.

As men, most of us are "hard-wired" for sex, it seems. I am no exception. I am baffled by some of the junk email I get because I have no idea why I would want to increase my libido. I have too much of it already. I accepted this long ago as the marriage God wants me to have, and I pray constantly for his support in keeping my thoughts and actions pure. See, ladies, you have to understand something about men (or most men). Even when we keep our thoughts and actions were pure, our bodies still remind us that we are men and we have "needs". This last, physical element of temptation has been the most frustrating. No matter how prayerful I try to be, and pure, sometimes the body is just not content.

It occurred to me one day that I might be able to find an herbal remedy for this physical aspect. Something to cool the body's natural libido. After a while I stumbled (or was I led?) to "chaste berry tea". That's right! "Chaste" berry. It seems monks in Spain used it centuries ago for the very same reasons. I tried to find all the information I could about it, and nowhere can I find that this is proven to reduce libido. It is marketed to women who need to ease their menstral symptoms and get their hormones more in balance. Well if the monks found it reduced their libido, and if it helps women with their reproductive hormones, then maybe we're on to something. I decided to try it. After all, it wouldn't be the first time that modern scientists missed the boat on something the monks figured out.

I found the tea at a local health food store packaged for women. Yes it took a bit of nerve to pick it up and buy it for myself! I am pleased to report that after drinking one cup of chaste berry tea every day for two weeks, I think we have a winner. I belive it has helped me tremendously. I seem to have much less struggle with temptation for impure thoughts; and my body, soul, and mind seem to have quite a bit more peace.

There are skeptics out there who think this is nonsense and the tea is only a placebo. To be honest, I really don't care if it is. It still seems to work for me. All I want is peace, and most importantly, to remain free of sin. God has given me a special challenge in life: to love a beautiful wife from a short distance most of the time and be happy about it. I will take any help I can get to keep peace in my body and in my soul.

God bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.