'Strong signal' stirs interest in hunt for alien life

phys.org/news/2016-08-strong-alien-life.html

**‘Strong signal’ stirs interest in hunt for alien life

A “strong signal” detected by a radio telescope in Russia that is scanning the heavens for signs of extraterrestrial life has stirred interest among the scientific community.

“No one is claiming that this is the work of an extraterrestrial civilization, but it is certainly worth further study,” said Paul Gilster, author of the Centauri Dreams website which covers peer-reviewed research on deep space exploration.

The signal from the direction of a HD164595, a star about 95 light-years from Earth.
The star is known to have at least one planet, and may have more.

The observation is being made public now, but was actually detected last year by the RATAN-600 radio telescope in Zelenchukskaya, Russia, he said.**

Experts say it is far too early to know what the signal means or where, precisely,it came from.

"But the signal is provocative enough that the RATAN-600 researchers are calling for permanent monitoring of this target," wrote Gilster.

The discovery is expected to feature in discussions at the 67th International Astronautical Congress in Guadalajara, Mexico, on September 27.

**“Working out the strength of the signal, the researchers say that if it came from an isotropic beacon, it would be of a power possible only for a Kardashev Type II civilization,” Gilster wrote, referring to a scale-system that indicates a civilization far more advanced than our own.

“If it were a narrow beam signal focused on our Solar System, it would be of a power available to a Kardashev Type I civilization,” indicating one closer to Earth’s capabilities.**

Gilster, who broke the story on August 27, said he had seen a presentation on the matter from Italian astronomer Claudio Maccone.

“Permanent monitoring of this target is needed,” said the presentation.

Nick Suntzeff, a Texas A&M University astronomer told the online magazine Ars Technica that the 11 gigahertz signal was observed in part of the radio spectrum used by the military.

“If this were a real astronomical source, it would be rather strange,” Suntzeff was quoted as saying.

Uh oh. Let’s hope they’re vegetarians.

Willing to bet the farm it ends up being a natural phenomenon.

Must be grant resubmitted time. :cool:

Lol, that’s hilarious because of how true it is.

Type I, Type II civilizations. Google to the rescue…

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

Since this was originally discovered a year ago, Im betting they know much more about it now than the article says, but I can understand why they would refrain from going into too much detail yet, dont want to alarm the public too much!

“If this were a real astronomical source, it would be rather strange,” Suntzeff was quoted as saying.

I was just wondering what this last sentence meant???

Hmm, could be exciting stuff!

I would bet the same.

Remember last year the Australians detected a mysterious signal in space that turned out to be originating from their own microwave ovens :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, some of the stupid cover stories they come up with are pretty bizarre, I doubt many people actually believe them, I mean, if the microwave signal thing was true, then there should have been lots of previous ‘mysterious signal’ discoveries across the same spectrum. LOL

Cover stories serve their purpose though, just look at what happened with the Tabby star/dyson sphere discovery last year, they still dont have a clue what that is!..move on people, nothing to see here.

For the forseeable future it is a ‘look, but don’t touch’ universe…at 95 light years, just saying “whut up?” Would require 190 years to get a “not much” from them!

Unless of course, the hypothetical advanced alien civilization deliberately beamed a message towards our solar system 95 years ago, in 1920.

They might have technologically sophisticated telescopes that noticed a change in the atmospheric composition of our planet caused by the onset of the Industrial Revolution.

They could have seen this in, say, the light travelling towards their star system from our 1825 - which would have got to them by our 1920.

And then they decided to send a message in case a civilization existed there.

Of course, I’m going full sci-fi now with this :smiley:

I was thinking lil Alfie tripped over a power cable and blasted us with his fav advanced civilization new age rap tune! :smiley:

How To Serve Man:eek:

Very likely a natural phenomena, but still interesting none-the-less. Similar to the Earth like planet possibility near Proxima.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

msn.com includes in its story that the source is a 65 billion year old star, which would make it roughly four times the age of the universe. If it is published online, it must be true.:rolleyes:

I also remember the story from Switzerland that the speed of light had been exceeded, only to be corrected when the authors remembered to correct for the speed of the satellite that gave them the measurement. No need to rewrite all the textbooks yet.

I suspect that someone misplaced a decimal point. Pro’ly dropped it on the floor :stuck_out_tongue:

Article:

The internet’s gone wild over a SETI signal from aliens. Scientists aren’t convinced.

To really understand this, we have to look at it in reverse: What kind of “signal” would ET be seeing from Earth? Not a single discrete signal, but a hodge-podge conglomeration of signals from tens of thousands of emitters, sending hundreds (if not thousands) of kinds of data (including voice) encoded by dozens (if not hundreds) of types of modulation. The total electronic output would be a complete mess, completely beyond the ability of any technology within several orders of complexity of ours to break down and gain any intelligence from, other than, “Hey, there’s an interesting signal coming from that yellow star over there.”

Well keep in mind, any signals of any strength from Earth would not even have arrived in their solar system yet since our signals only travel at the speed of light. Conversely this signal from them would have been sent before our first strong signals would have even arrived in their system. Meaning IF it were from an intelligence, they’d have to have a way to have seen changes in Earth from things like the Industrial Revolution of the early 1800’s (that would have taken around a century for them to see in the early 1900’s), that would have compelled them to pre-emptively send a signal our way in anticipation that we’d develop enough to receive it by 2016.

Assuming of course the signal were directed just our way and wasn’t a general broadcast in all directions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.