Struggling to believe in Eucharist

Last night I was reading a forum about whether to receive communion on hand or on tongue when I clicked on a video someone linked.
The comments were full of Catholics agreeing with the cardinal about receiving non the tongue but also people angrily screaming “pagan” and presenting some decent evidence against transubstinaton.

I’m very concerned about this. Did Jesus mean the passage where he says “My body is true food and My blood is true drink” literally? I know that the apostles had trouble with this teaching too.

Another issue I have is that transubstination started in the 11th century, so it could be a false teaching of the Church.

I feel my faith in God slipping sometimes as I go and read these arguments people have and wonder, what’s the point of doing this at all if I’m gonna be in front of the throne of God one day only to be turned away? What if Jesus didn’t mean for communion to be taken literally?

Isn’t He in heaven at the right hand of God, not in every tabernacle across the world?

If anyone could strengthen my faith on this that would be appreciated.

Regarding the miracles, some articles I have read have attributed the Eucharistic miracles to demons, which I do not believe, because doing so would be the unforgiveable sin right?

Please help me with this.

1 Like

Receiving in the hand or on the tongue is fine

This probably tells you that there is very little credit or validation or truth in the video you clicked on.

Yes, Jesus is truth, Jesus said this literally

It started at the Last Supper with Jesus.

God is everywhere.

We are free to believe in miracles or not, if they are not the miracles of the Old or New Testament.

It sounds like you are spending time on anti catholic or anti religious sites. You will find everyone has an opinion, and with the internet age, the smoke of satan is easily dispersed through internet ramblings

Stay close to God, pray and go to Mass and the Sacrament of Reconcilliation

3 Likes

The Church has always held Jesus to be present in the Eucharist, since the very beginning- transubstantiation is just the means of explaining how it happens, not the teaching of the Real Presence itself. The earliest written record of this teaching would probably be in 1 Corinthians, when Saint Paul says, "The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?"

The popular rejection of the Real Presence is relatively recent, but it was challenged by various heretics within the first few centuries of the Church. Consider, for example, this quote of St. Ignatius of Antioch from his Letter to the Smyrnaeans, in which he says:

"Take note of those who hold heterodox opinions on the grace of Jesus Christ which has come to us, and see how contrary their opinions are to the mind of God… They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the Flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, Flesh which suffered for our sins and which the Father, in his goodness, raised up again. They who deny the gift of God are perishing in their disputes."

For reference, St. Ignatius was born around A.D. 35, only two years after Jesus’ death.

We trust that Jesus’ apostles, and that the apostles’ earliest disciples, were right in what they handed down to us. We don’t make them into liars.

7 Likes

Why else would Christ have made the Eucharist part of the last supper? He could have simply passed the bread and wine.

1 Like

It could have been symbolic of his sacrifice that he was about to do

Everywhere else in the Gospels when Jesus speaks symbolically, he later explains Himself.

Metaphorically, He is the Good Shepherd, the Gate, etc.

Truly, Physically, He is the Eucharist

1 Like

If it was symbolic, why didn’t Christ say it was instead of proposing something that caused half of his followers to think he was proposing cannibalism?

If it was symbolic, why would he have done it at all? Do you think that he had a lot of things to discuss during his last couple of hours as a free person?

2 Likes

We believe that Jesus Christ is indeed the Living Son of God. As God, Christ cannot lie. Thus, either what Christ said is indeed true or Christ is a liar and cannot be God. Here is a short list of important passages in the Gospels that tell us what Christ said.

1. The Bread of Life Discourse.
    • John Chapter 6: 22- 71 Especially 53-58

2. The Lord’s Supper
    • Matthew Chapter 26: .26-28
    • Luke Chapter 22: 19-20
    • Mark Chapter 14: 22-24
    • 1 Corinthians Chapter 11: 23-32

The questions that arose in John 6 were answered in Matthew, Luke, Mark, and 1 Corinthians.
I cannot speak for those who find it too hard to believe, but it IS what Christ said and thus it is true and worthy of our belief even it remains a mystery to us.

4 Likes

The only question is:
Why would Jesus lie?

2 Likes

There are a couple of other areas where the words of Jesus are not to be taken literally, and Jesus does not say so - one way or the other.
If you want to be his disciple, you must hate your mother and father.
If your eye causes you to commit sin, then pluck it out.
If your hand causes you to commit sin, then cut it off.

Is it a lie to speak in metaphors or to speak allegorically?

He was looking them in the eye. Pretty clear. It was not a “teaching moment” like other parables.

2 Likes

How do you know this?

If it is so clear, why do many Protestants say he was not speaking literally?

At the Last Supper?
You’re kidding right?

It’s right there in Scripture:

“these sayings are hard”

Plus most Protestants don’t want to concede that the Catholic Church is the Church Christ Himself founded.
They’d rather believe that ANYONE can be a minister.

Many people spend their days trying to prove the Church is wrong.
Even on CAF! LOL

3 Likes

How do you know he was “looking them in the eye”?

It was the Passover meal.
Nowhere in Jewish ritual does the Father of the household not interact with his family.

2 Likes

Sharing metaphors and allegories would still be interacting…

Just don’t receive the Eucharist unworthily.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.