Struggling with converting to Catholicism

You say that Mary knew she was a sinner who sinned. Can you please point to Scriptures where she admits to being a sinner? And can you please point out where these sins are in the Bible as well as name everyone who knew this about her?

@tgGodsway

Isaiah 66; 7 before she was in labor she gave birth; Before her pain came upon her she delivered a son.8 who has heard of such a thing? Who has seen such things? Shall a land be born in one day? Shall a nation be delivered in one moment? Yet as soon as Zion was in labor she delivered her children.9 shall I open the womb and not deliver? Says the Lord; shall I, the one who delivers, shut the womb? Says your God.

Romans 3:23 since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; that’s why God create a new creation on earth

Jeremiah 31:22 How long will you waver, O faithless daughter (Eve)? For the Lord has created a new thing on the earth: a woman (Mother Mary) encompasses a man (Jesus).If Enoch and Elijah who were born sinners and led a life of penance, but yet was assumed into Heaven, How much more the Mother of God born without the original sin and lived a holy life, will she not be in the heaven praying for all of us Luke 1:37 For nothing will be impossible with God.”. Luke 1:45 And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her by the Lord.” Psalms 118:23 This is the Lord’s doing, it is marvelous in our eyes. Hope you find the Truth.

Galatians 4:26 But the other woman corresponds to the Jerusalem above; she is free and she is our mother ( MARY). (MOTHER MARY IS SINLESS and Mary retain "perpetual virginity), 27 For it is written, “Rejoice, you childless one, you who bear no children, burst into song and shout, you who endure no birth pangs; for the children of the desolate woman are more numerous than the children of the one who is married.”

JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF started the Catholic Church THROUGH HIS TRUE CHURCH AND THE POPE who stands in the person of Christ. Matthew 16:16-18 7 And Jesus answering, said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven.18 And I say to thee: **That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.**Psalm 12:6 The promises of the Lord are promises that are pure, silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times.

Mother Mary was united with Jesus and fully co-operated in sufferings and the will of Father in 1 Corinthians 6:17 But anyone united to the Lord becomes one spirit with him.

Revelation 12:1-2 A great portent appeared in heaven: a woman (Mother Mary) clothed with the sun (Glory Wisdom 7:26 For she (Mother Mary) is a reflection of eternal light=Jesus John 8:12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.”, a spotless mirror of the working of God, and an image of his goodness.) when any one appreciates your mother and praise her will you not be happy for her? same way here.

@KnowledgeSeeker

Acts 19:11 God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, 12 so that when the handkerchiefs or aprons that had touched his skin were brought to the sick, their diseases left them, and the evil spirits came out of them. that’s why it imp to touch

2 King 13:20-21 20 So Elisha died, and they buried him. Now bands of Moabites used to invade the land in the spring of the year. 21 As a man was being buried, a marauding band was seen and the man was thrown into the grave of Elisha; as soon as the man touched the bones of Elisha, he came to life and stood on his feet.

Acts 5:15-16 15 so that they even carried out the sick into the streets, and laid them on cots and mats, in order that Peter’s shadow might fall on some of them as he came by. 16 A great number of people would also gather from the towns around Jerusalem, bringing the sick and those tormented by unclean spirits, and they were all cured.

Statues, images and relics
Ex 25:18-22, 26:1,31; Num 21:8-9 … God commands images made.
1 Kings 6:23-29, 35, 7:29 … Solomon’s temple: statues and images.
Acts 19:11,12 … Paul’s handkerchiefs and aprons.
2 Kg 13:20-21 … Elisha’s bones.
Acts 5:15-16 … Peter’s shadow.
Mt 9:20-22 … Jesus’ garment cures woman.

You keep saying ‘an idea foreign to the apostolic circle’ and that it was ‘added in’. Could you please show the authentic, ongoing, teaching from apostolic times that is embedded in official Church documents that state that Mary is not the ‘new Eve’/Ark, that show that throughout Christendom from the apostles on this was NOT ever taught or believed, and then, can you show us the ‘view’ of 'the current teaching that you attribute to the Church ‘adding’, and the exact documents where it was added? Since you claim this is ‘the truth’, it should be easy to show that this was first NEVER Catholic teaching and then that it was ‘imposed/made up’ and by exactly who and exactly when ‘added.’

Thank you.

well it was God plan for Mary to keep her sinless vessel to contain Jesus the holy of holy,its the will of God his plan Jeremiah 29:11 For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope.Genesis 3:15 I will put enmities between thee (satan) and the woman (Mother Mary), and thy (satan’s children =wicked people, anti-Christ ) seed and her (Mary) seed (Jesus and Christians): she shall crush thy (satan) head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel.

Revelation 21:27 But nothing unclean will enter Heaven, nor anyone who practices abomination or falsehood, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s book of life. But when Jesus is born she had to be without Original Sin a pure vessel to contain Jesus in the womb… Lord Jesus (GOD) had to be born in a women who is sinless.

Isaiah 29:16 You turn things upside down! Shall the potter be regarded as the clay? Shall the thing made say of its maker, “He did not make me”; or the thing formed say of the one who formed it, “He has no understanding”?

Jeremiah 18:6 Can I not do with you, O house of Israel, just as this potter has done? says the Lord. Just like the clay in the potter’s hand, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.

Isaiah 64:8 Yet, O Lord, you are our Father; we are the clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of your hand.

Are you going to contend with God’s or keep questioning and doubting his master plans.i wouldn’t dare to.but rather accept it

Luke 1:37For nothing will be impossible with God.”

This is a great challenge, however, it is impossible. Here’s why. As I’m sure you know the best records we have to official and historical church documents is the events of the first century church recorded by the gospel writers and Apostles.

They were the foundational eye-witnesses to the events in question. There was no one closer to these events and issues than they were. They recorded by the power of the Holy Spirit, their doctrine and practice very accurately and without apology.

So, if we go looking for a sinless Mary in their writings and doctrine, can we find it? No… can we find teaching on it? No … Can we find even a hint of it? No, not at all.

If there was even a hint that the Apostles and gospel writers knew about and believed Mary was sinless, or through a special miracle became sinless, this would show up somewhere in their writings. The opposite evidence from Mary herself makes the case.

Official Church doctrine did not begin with the quote, “fathers of the Church” in Rome centuries later, it began with the divinely inspired eye-witnesses to the events in question beginning in Jerusalem. James, John, Peter, Paul and others formulated and wrote down their doctrine, not to mention Jesus Himself. These Church fathers made no claim to a sinless Mary, not even a hint. They made no attempt for us to know this so- called “truth.” Only the opposite is true. Jesus himself was and is the only man to walk this earth, sinless. see Heb. 4:15. The gospel writer, John, a foundational piece of the puzzle, said… “If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.” 1st. John 1:10.

Wait, exactly where do we find a 'sinful Mary?"

The Greek greeting of the Angel Gabriel itself implies a sinless Mary.

There is no mention of ‘personal sin’.

There is also the fact that the NT does not exist in a vacuum.

It would have been so obvious to the apostles that the Scripture of the OT (that same Scripture which St. Paul encouraged holding fast to) with its references to the Ark and its prefigurations of Jesus, along with the Virgin birth (you believe in that, right? If that OT prophecy was fulfilled, why not 'the rest of the story?")

Why are there writings which speak of the door that no one will open and shut?
The Ark?
The holiness whereby even touching it without permission led to death?
The New Eve (as a matter of course with the new Adam, a teaching proclaimed by the apostles and evangelists)
The words of Jesus to Mary standing at the foot of the cross with St. John?

There are plenty of teachings (as well as the words of Scripture itself that "not all that Jesus spoke of or taught is contained within this book), still less that the book is the pillar and foundation of Truth .

You are sidestepping as well the ‘rest of the story’. You CLAIM that the apostles did not teach Mary’s sinlessness. I claim that, in the Scripture and in oral tradition, continuing through some 1500 years until some men decided to ‘say differently’, it was taught and preached.

Not because of who Mary is, but because of who Jesus is.

Again, you claim this was ‘added in’. Please show, as I asked, the proof that this was never taught (beyond your say-so), and then was suddenly ‘added’, and by whom.

You cannot do so, for your claim is baseless and nonexistent.

I’m not sure what you are talking about here with the Ark. But I gave you the absence of Apostolic approval to a teaching that came much later in history. If this is baseless to you,… okay…

No, you didn’t. You gave your CLAIM (unsupported except that you SAY the apostles never taught Mary’s sinlessness; first, the gospel of Luke does so in the greeting of the angel Gabriel), second, oral tradition (likewise of the apostles) supports it, third, the consistent teaching of the Catholic AND Orthodox Churches through about AD 1500 supports it as does the continued teaching today.

YOU never limited the supposed ‘non teaching’ to ‘the apostles’ but again, even so, it is still there.
YOU never addressed your claim that it was not taught until ‘much later’.
YOU never supplied the documentation that it was ‘never taught’ and the document ‘put in much later’ which suddenly DOES teach it.

So you’re blowing air here. Where is your ‘much later in history’? Where is your proof it never was taught before that --SURELY you possess the exact document which ‘suddenly’ inserts this 'new teaching out of the blue to the entire Christian world

i just read your first post and i like it. good questions :slight_smile:

Okay… Please explain your position on Mary’s greeting of the angel. I will address it from there.

Oral tradition is an un-provable concept. You use an unrecorded source to say this is how scripture came into being and recorded. That is nonsense. God’s word had to get TO THEM, before it could get FROM THEM to others.

Scripture’s source has never been from oral tradition. Scripture’s source (and claim) is from God’s mouth to the Apostle’s hearts, recorded onto parchment we call letters, gospels, ect. The living word became the written word as each Apostle died off.

Secondly, lets not forget the prophetic voice of the O.T. with the hundreds of confirmations to N.T. scripture These sources are the reliable eye-witnesses to the truth.

Tradition, if any, is subordinate to inspired scripture, not its source. I am not anti-tradition. I am anti-tradition that contradicts settled doctrine which came from God-breathed scripture.

To your third point, 1500 years of Catholic teaching is fine, as long as each piece of doctrine has an eye-witness to settle it. Those eye-witnesses are the foundation of the Church. If there is teaching without the validation from the Apostolic foundation, that teaching has no biblical merit. The progressive “revelation” that goes on today (papacy) is nothing more than false prophecy speaking in the wind to declare what God’s so called on-going message is today. It is laughable if it weren’t so sad.

I actually took notes when I read that book. It’s chock full of information to go look up and read more about.

And another book I would recommend is “Something Other Than God” by Jennifer Fulwiler. Also a book I actually took notes on. Her husband looked up the origins of the Mass and took a whole lot of information and notes into their first Mass with him - and was pointing out things from ancient history that are still carried out the exact same way today. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

When I say Mary is a sinner, I am not trying to pick her out as a special case. She was beloved of God as all of God’s children are. Yet she was born into the family of Adam and therefore inherited a nature to sin just like the rest of us. She needed new birth.

The fact that she cried out to "God her savior’ in Luke 1:47, strongly implies that she knew she needed to be saved. saved from what? As tempted as I am to leave it there, I know that just one verse of scripture is not enough to build and validate doctrine as some do on this sight. 1st. John 1:10 tells us that “If we say that we have no sin, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.”

Paul said, “all have sinned…” Ro 3 Bottom line is that she is included in the family of sinners, until, or unless, there is biblical eyewitnesses to make a special case for her.

All I get is church fathers who lived centuries after the fact and were not eye-witnesses. It is not unreasonable to ask for apostolic teaching on this narrow subject of Mary.

Of course Mary was saved. She was saved before her birth, at her conception.
You still have not given us any of the things you claim as fact; where again is the ‘imposition of a teaching’, what is the document, who made it, where is the proof that it had not been practiced before, etc.?

You want me to give you apostolic teaching to what wasn’t believed or practiced. This is laughable. I gave you three scriptures telling you what WAS believed and practiced. Fact #1 Mary cried out to her Savior. Therefore she needed to be saved from something.

Your response was that she was saved from sin at her conception. Wonderful. How did the Apostolic Church validate, confirm and teach this belief?.. Please site a chapter and verse from the divine record.

Since you won’t be able to site anything, you argue from the mysteries of oral tradition. I argue from the testimony of N.T. eyewitnesses. They claim that all men are sinners. What does oral tradition say? most men are sinners, some men are sinners. All but Mary are sinners…

This Romans 3:23 passage is a real and historical FACT that you say I haven’t given. Who made this document? The Apostle Paul, one of God’s foundational eyewitnesses.

When we find out that Mary was a women “born under the law” from Galatians 4:4. Again, another FACT to deal with, we must measure this truth against what oral tradition says about her. If she was born under the Law, how can she be conceived sinless?..

She was born into the Jewish race and subject to the law of Moses, hence, the sin offering in Jerusalem.

Sinless people are not subject to any Law, only sinners. Mary, was under this Law based on Paul’s testimony simply because she was a sinner like all humanity is.

You say I have not given you the imposition of a teaching. What is wrong with the Apostle Paul’s teaching on sin and sinners?

You are still not giving me the information you claim. You’re dredging up documents and insisting that because Romans 3:23 claims in "plain English’ all men are sinners, St. Paul taught that ‘all men are sinners’.

Well then, was Jesus a sinner? Jesus is a man like us in all things but sin, Paul states ELSEWHERE. Paul does not state in Romans 3:23 "All men but Jesus are sinners’ though.
In fact, he doesn’t state that ANY women are sinners, just men. Right?

You see, you are already reading into the text things you claim ‘are there’ but which were not, in fact, seen as necessarily St. Paul stating, as a fact, “From start to finish, all people are personal sinners” (which is in fact what YOU claim from the text).

And you still have not shown me the official Church teaching, known to be preached to all (only that you CLAIM St. Paul MEANT, 'all people including Mary" but you cannot prove that and in fact, the Church not only did not ‘use the book’ in the first 3 centuries, but relied on many oral teachings and documents ‘with’ the ones we now recognize --as a gift from the Catholic Church, you can thank us-.

And you still have not given me anything other than a vague, unproven assertion that at some point ‘way later’ than the apostles, the ‘sinless Mary teaching’ was put in place.

But you refuse to tell us exactly when and by whom, and you certainly cannot show that the early Church did NOT believe in the sinless Mary, especially with Luke’s Scripture and the greeting of the angel Gabriel.

A passage and textural understanding that you seem very strangely unfamiliar with, for someone who claims to know the ‘real deal’ about Mary and her purported sin.

Funny how you insist that her ‘sin offering’ meant she ‘knew she was a sinner’, yet you ignore Jesus’ words to John the Baptist. Was Jesus a sinner?

How do you know? You were not there. That is why you cannot give who said what and why. It is all just hearsay for you. The Catholics were there from day one of Christianity who give you the Bible!.

Well, I gave you the Apostle John in 1st. John 1, and I gave you the Apostle Paul in his instructions to the Church at Rome. If I add another Apostle will that tip the scale for you in terms of documented official Church teaching? …

The argument about Jesus not being a sinner is countered by further revelations from these same Apostles. So to use absurd reasoning not only sounds childish but doesn’t fly with me my friend.

The first of what I would call, a legend about Mary is found in the so-called Proto-Evangelium of James, near the end of the second century and presents a fantastic story about her birth.

It also states that she remained a virgin throughout her entire life. Justin Martyr, who died in 165 compares Mary and Eve, the two prominent women in the Bible. Irenaeus, who died in 202, says that the disobedience of the “virgin Eve” was atoned for by the obedience of the "virgin Mary.

Tertullian, on the other hand, who was one of the greatest authorities in the ancient Church and who died in 222, raised his voice against this teaching concerning Mary’s birth. He must have compared it with the divine record of scripture. He also held that after the birth of Jesus, Mary and Joseph lived in a normal marriage relationship.

The first known picture of Mary is found in the Priscilla catacomb in Rome and dates from the second century. Thus the Christian Church functioned for at least 150 years without idolizing the name of Mary. It wasn’t until the 3 century and beyond that her profile was exalted to a place known today as the queen of heaven.

These facts only show that the eyewitnesses to the life of Mary, along with the first century’s doctrine on sin, only clash when presented along side oral tradition.

I’m not good at copying and pasting on a tablet. So please bear with me.

Mary didn’t cry out to God her Savior. She was filled with the Holy Spirit, giving thanks and praise for what He had already done. He saved her from original sin prior to her conception. (And no, her parents didn’t have to be sinless in order for her to be.)

Where does Paul state that “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God including the mother of Jesus Christ”? It doesn’t.

Mary was to be the new Eve. She is spoken of in the Old Testament as well as the New. The New Eve had to be sinless in order to bear God’s Son.

Jesus, Our Lord and Savior, was the New Adam. If you are going to claim that Mary was a sinner, then how can you claim that Jesus wasn’t also touched by sin since He would have come from an (allegedly) sinful womb?

The truth is that if God can keep His Son (God in the flesh) from the stain of sin, He can also keep the woman He chose to bear Him from sin. And He did.

Yes, Mary needed a Savior as we all do. The difference is that she was saved from original sin before her birth instead of after. She was saved in that manner because God had already chosen her for the purpose of giving birth to and raising His Son. He knew she would say “Yes” but still gave her free will. God is a gentleman. He wouldn’t have forced an unwed virgin to bring His Son into the world.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.