Struggling with Masturbation

Thank you for taking the time to read this …

I’m really struggling with masturbation; it is something that I have attempted (sometimes weak attempts) to stop, yet I give right back in with the never-ending cycle. I always go to confession for this particular sin, and I seem to find myself right back in the confessional booth. At this point, I feel like I’m just going with the motions of confession - just to be forgiven. I know this isn’t right, that’s why I’m here. It effects my daily life, and it also leads to other sins. It makes me irritable, anxious and confused - right after I do it. I fear for my life; I wonder if God loves me, or that I have cut 100% connection with him whenever this happens. Please pray for me, and give me any advice that you think I should hear. Thank you.

For years up until recently, this was a daily struggle for me as well. I wanted a quick fix, but there isn’t one. I’ll be honest, even when you think you’ve won the battle, temptation and occasional failure to stay the course will probably plague you from time to time. I once heard that the struggle itself will never end, but with God it can be fought successfully.

When it was a problem that continually and frequently plagued me, I felt very mad at myself. I asked God to forgive me, but I thought I could and should eliminate the problem on my own. Not possible. Like with most habitual sins, you must not even for a moment wonder whether or not God loves you after you have slipped up. There is no possible act of disobedience that could cause God to stop loving you.

Confessing is good, but the point of confession is not only to be forgiven, but to reconcile yourself to God. This goes beyond the confessional. Yes, confess and be forgiven. If you are sorry then God will forgive you every time, even if you slip up in the future. But just as important is your willingness to allow God to help you even when you aren’t in the confessional. Pray for His help, and never feel like you don’t deserve His love or help. I’ll pray for you tonight, as well. You can’t always eliminate impure feelings, but with God’s help, self-control is possible. I can attest to that. Good luck, hope this was helpful.

Lord, hear our prayers

I know that a good technique when feeling tempted with this sin is to think of the Blessed Mother and how she would react of your doing it.

Pray the rosary, every day.

That is simply the best advice that anyone can give you.

This. It TRULLY WORKS. It did on me. Its effect is actually pretty fast.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death
Amen.

St. Jude, pray for us!

Indeed. Hail Mary.

Amen

Yes! That is how I over came Masturbation. I found myself justifying it to my confessor week after week. As I got deeper into praying the Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary my excuse became, “Father, is it always a mortal sin? My Son, yes it is!”. I got a Brown Scapular, and was invested to the Blessed Virgin Mary. After that it was like doing it in front of my mother! The fact was, it would be like doing it in front of my mother, and the mother of Jesus! There’s a lot to be said about the Brown Scapular and Mary.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death
Amen.

I’ve fought this for quite a while. You are not alone. The positive side is that you recognize the need for change, some ignore this. I, too, find myself in the confessional frequently. I like going every couple weeks, I just wish it didn’t include impurity. It is a daily struggle, self-loathing doesn’t help. I often feel like I am not trying hard enough, but it really is about relying on God. Keep fighting the good fight. As a priest once told me, “if it was easy to fix, we would think we did it on our own”.

Prayers sent up for you.

Lord, may mbrown75 consecrate himself/herself to your holy Mother and pray 3 Hail Mary’s every morning, noon and night for the virtue of purity. May he/she pray the Rosary every day and find a regular confessor. May he/she receive you in the sacraments as frequently as possible for the strength and nourishment he/she needs. Grant him/her the graces he/she needs to say no! to temptation. May he/she avoid all occassions of sin. Thank you, Lord, for hearing my prayer.

I’ll include you in my prayers… and just take it a day at a time

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.