Struggling with masturbation.

Please pray for me as i struggle with the sin of masturbation, I do not lust while doing so, it does not fall under a mortal sin. But i still want to stop before it gets to that. Hormones are driving me crazy and I need another outlet to deal with this other than masturbation. I am unsure if i can revive Communion during this time of battle, but please keep me in your prayers. :blush:

Praying to the Holy Spirit to give you guidance, direction, strength, fortitude & wisdom to overcome your temptations.

The Catechism says masturbation is always grave matter.
The Catechism says if Masturbation is deliberate, freely committed and with full knowledge, that its a mortal sin.

In case you are in error of understanding the catechism:
It does not say anywhere in the Catechism that someone can masturbate all they want as long as they do not think lustfully.

The Catechism says it’s always grave matter, and under the three conditions above, is a mortal sin.
A person in mortal sin must not receive communion until they confess, (or else they commit the mortal sin of sacrilege.)

You as a catholic have full knowledge.
No one is going to force you to commit that sin.
If committed deliberately in freedom, a Catholic knows is a mortal sin.

To freely and deliberately commit this act, is a mortal sin,
To decide to commit this act or think long imaginings about, is a mortal sin in thoughts.
To not mention a mortal sin deliberately, in confession, is the mortal sin of sacrilege, which means no sins in thar confession were forgiven.

You need to first not Watch any TV, films, books, magazines, or go to places, or listen to music, go to Internet sites, that has any impure references.
(which is acceptable on modern TV these days)

Next, you need to pray 30mins each day. Or 10mins minimum.

And read a catholic book / Bible a little each day.

Wear a blessed miraculous medal and brown scapular.

Go to confession monthly mimimum.

Think positive thoughts and live a balanced life of fulfilment with your dreams, hobbies, talents, rest, sociality, studies, fun, etc… and always think positive. Negative thoughts lead to seeking joy in something that may be sinful.

Think about and figure out over time, what are your triggers, is it certain friends who have a bad influence on your catholic thoughts, is it lack of hope financially, is it difficult time with siblings or work colleagues, loneliness,
Sin is an addiction. Jesus said anyone who sins is a slave to sin. An alcoholic or drug addict or gambler, all have triggers and a psychological reason for seeking some escape in something that is not Holy.

Satan is a liar,
Jesus said, resist the devil and he will flee from you.
Keep saying, “No satan, in the Name of Jesus.”

Pray 3 Hail Marys for purity each day. And the St Michael prayer. Have a holy water bottle in your room and bless your room each night. St Theresa of Avila said that evil spirits immediately leave and never return to spots where Holy water is used, or used regularly.

Tell Jesus, “No I will not sin Lord. I will wait for marriage.”

[INDENT]Prayer for the Help of the Holy Spirit

O God, send forth your Holy Spirit into our hearts that we may perceive, into our minds, that we may remember, and into our souls that we may meditate. Inspire us to speak with piety, holiness, tenderness and mercy. Teach, guide and direct our thoughts and senses from beginning to end. May your grace ever help and correct us, and may we be strengthened now with wisdom from on high, for the sake of your infinite mercy. Amen.

[/INDENT]

The OP asked for prayers, not your judgment…

Praying…

The OP had the erroneous thought of believing that committing masturbation without lustful thoughts is not a mortal sin.

When the catechism clearly states that the act of masturbation is always grave matter, and that under the 3 conditions the act is a mortal sin.

The Bible says; "My People perish for lack of knowledge

The Bible also says: “Instruct the uninstructed.”

I had a similar problem. It seemed to disappear by itself, byGod’s will. But, please, do not try to justify the practice. I understand that you feel like it is part of you and giving it up is not possible. But this is an illusion. This is below yur dignity as a Christian. Yu won’t do it in front of a crowd of people, will you? There are the chores of saints seeing you right now, saying to you: “you deserve more than that!”

Praying.

This is all good advice, and the OP should also remember that even one incident of masturbation completely severs one’s relationship and connection to God. Not only is it important to realize that lack of lustful thoughts does not make this deadly sin any less serious, but also that God will not entertain any excuses about hormones. If, God forbid, the OP should die unexpectedly before going to confession, there is no hope of salvation for him/her. If he/she keeps that in mind at all times, hopefully it will help stop them from choosing to engage in this most offensive and vile act.

Be assured of my prayers.

I struggle with this too and I feel trapped at times but prayers here really do make it easier

I recommend seeking the Anointing of the Sick!

A Very powerful and underused sacrament. :thumbsup:

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection,
implored your help, or sought your intercession,
was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence,
I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother.
To you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful.
O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
despise not my petitions,
but in your mercy, hear and answer me.
Amen.

Remembering you in my daily prayers. God bless.

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Almighty God, who alone gave us the breath of life, and alone can keep our hearts filled with your holy desires: I ask you, trusting in your infinite compassion, to sanctify my thoughts and endeavors; that I may neither begin an action without a pure intention nor continue it without your blessing. And grant that, having the eyes of my mind opened to behold things invisible and unseen, my heart may be inspired by your wisdom, and my work upheld by your strength, and in the end, that I may be accepted by you as your faithful servant; through Jesus Christ our Savior.
Amen.

Praying for you.

Thank you, I cannot get to confession by myself and we only go once a year during Easter. I hope I won’t die, for I feel awful for what I did and I have prayed for forgiveness several times. Thank you all for the prayers. Saying that I have no hope for salvstion makes me deeply saddened and depressed. After all I have gone through the same feeling when I realised I was a lesbian. Thank you all for the prayers, I feel the temptation lessening already. :thumbsup: :smiley:

Hi maddy

Maryhelp777 gives you good, wise and loving counsel. With regard to the question of salvation, only God knows you perfectly, your circumstances and your struggles. He knows your heart. Only God knows our culpability and sorrow for sin. If we sin gravely we should aim to say as near a perfect act of contrition as possible and resolve to go to confession asap.

You say you have said sorry to God for your sin. You sound to me like you meant it. You can prove it to God by not repeating this sin. Try to get to confession asap. God however does not expect us to do the impossible. He does expect us to do what is reasonable and achievable. So do not be overly fearful of damnation in your particular situation that you describe in your opening post. I don’t wish to minimise sins of the flesh however your sin you cite MAY have been venial, depending on the circumstances. Only God truly knows.

You have apologised to God. You may well be perfectly contrite. If you are then God would have accepted your apology. But get to confession at the next earliest possible opportunity.

Do you go to Mass every week? Can you not ask the priest for confession on that occasion? Explain your circumstances. Maybe even 5 minutes before Mass the priest may hear your confession.

God is NOT waiting to catch us out when we fall. Rather he is waiting to catch us when we fall. Like the good and loving Father He is. He knows we are dust. He knows our weakness. He loves and forgives us. He just asks us to “go and sin no more”.

Peace.

My priest has a mass before and after at different church’s so it’s hard to get time, also he is not at my church much because it is not his first church priority wise I feel. I do try to make it to church every Sunday. But when my family does not go I cannot go.

Thank you for the help, I have a DEEP FEAR OF HELL AND OF SINNING.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.