Struggling with & Overcoming Homosexuality

Anyone willing to share a testimony? I want to help people with SSA but can’t relate in a way that someone who has lived and suffered through such a painful experience.

I found this one online WARNING: may not be suitable for younger readers

themasterstable.wordpress.com/2008/05/21/christian-testimony-of-a-former-homosexual/

Any responses are greatly appreciated:)

~peace

Abstain. There’s nothing else that can be done. Abstain and pray.

Thank you S_V7 for linking to my article.

I wrote an article some months ago on homosexuality, and this gentleman actually contacted me wishing to share his testimony. I asked him if I could post his entire letter, and he quickly agreed. He said to use his testimony in any way possible to help others in the same struggle. This post is several months old, but still gets read on a regular basis. It is a wonderful story, but I can only take credit for passing it on.

I dunno, SV_7: I’ve no doubt of your good intentions, but the speed with which you let us know that you have no incliniations along these lines and can’t possibly relate makes me think you may not be the best person to offer help.

As to the letter you linked to, I wish this man the best of luck. But I wonder how long it’s been, and when he dreams, what gender his lovers are…

I’m skeptical that you can ‘pray the gay out’. Christ strengthens us against temptations, but he doesn’t remove temptation from us, IMO.

The danger of this approach is people who pray about their SSA and receive no miracle cure will assume that Christ has rejected them, and will become even more desperate and depressed. Better to keep expectations realistic, I think.

Is it even possible to eradicate homosexuality from one’s body?

Short answer : No.
Long Answer : Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I, being someone who has suffered with this so-called “problem” myself, know from first hand that it’s not something that can just be changed. I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that it’s brain chemistry anyways.

Simply put, it’s not a choice nor something that can change. I think the best evidence for this is for one to ask themselves when they chose to be straight.

And even so, what kind of person would want to be gay in today’s day and age? Even the supposed gay-to-straight converts can tell you, I’m sure, that they had no intention to use their sexuality to bring evil.

The Lone Atheist says that homosexuality is not something that can be changed. But a Christian knows that if “anyone is in Christ he is a new creature.” Alone we do lack the capacity for change, in almost any way. But with Christ, through the power of the Holy Spirit, change is effected in us. I have not been changed from gay to straight, so I’m not an authority on this matter. I do believe, however, that “with God all things are possible.” It should be no surprise that the atheist perspective lacks aknowledging the power of God.

If I recall correctly, even the Catholic Church doesn’t teach that someone can go from gay to straight. The Catechism teaches that homosexuals are called to chaste lives- not straight lives.

Brain chemistry and genetics play a huge part in attraction, but you have to have faith to live such a chaste life. Our duty, as Christians, isn’t to force people to stop living as homosexuals and adopt the chaste lifestyle. It is to encourage our brothers and sister in Christ to pray, to live the life that God has called them to. For non-Christian homosexuals, it’s our duty as Christians to pray for them and lead them to Christ. You have to have faith before any change that large can happen in your life- speaking from experience, as a bisexual living a straight life(because I can- if I were lesbian, I’d be chaste).

CCC 2358-2359:

The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

So, I’d say Christian Perfection does NOT mean having heterosexual desires- what about those asexuals who have no sexual desire at all? Certainly, we don’t expect priests to live heterosexual lives- they are sworn to chaste lives. We need to encourage, lovingly, those brethren who struggle with this to adopt chaste practices, and show them that chastity really isn’t that bad. We need to encourage, lovingly, those who don’t share our faith to take a second look, to embrace the love and will of God in their lives.

The church could alway’s admit it’s stance on this was based on ignorance and change it, but they’d have opened up such a kettle of worms, that they do not yet know how to address.

Better to ask a person to be chaste, than to open up the barrel that is sexual pleasure without chance of reproduction.

Ask a person who is straight, wether they chose it…and you have your answer as to wether or not some-one chose to be gay.

The only real choice you have here(with any integrity) is to decide wether or not God condems a human who is born with a natural biological nature to a life lacking in affection, companionship and love that a meaningful(and yes sexual) relationship can bring.

There is a reason, a lot of people disagree with the church on this one, including a lot of people within its heirachy. How many people will you let fall through the cracks, before you realize this is not love or acceptance?

Actually, the deliverance ministry I work with has had someone delivered of same sex attraction. It is possible for that to happen, but not always the case. It may be that SSA is a cross, a thorn in the flesh that the person has to bear for life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.