Struggling with the concept of what it means to deserve something

For a few weeks now, I’ve been off and on thinking about what it means to deserve something. I have an OCD issue, so it’s harder for me to shake off certain things than others, so yeah, this has been somewhat bugging me.

Basically, I figure that certain things are obvious. If you do well at your job, I’d say you sometimes deserve a raise/vacation/etc. If you know the material on a test and/or study hard and pass, you deserved the good grade.

However, some concepts like happiness and having a great life in general are a bit more complex. Do we “deserve” happiness, do we “deserve” to be living the great life that we currently are right now? At this point, I feel it’s probably best not to focus too heavily on this and just thank God for all that’s good in our lives and try not to take anything for granted. Giving back in some way would be good as well.

Then, what about when it comes to the concept of hell? If someone under a state of mortal sin deserves hell and would go there should they die at the moment, do they also deserve to live a bad life on earth as well?

I don’t know, this stuff is just complex to me. I was hoping that maybe some of you could clarify this issue and enlighten me on the subject.

The point you made herein is good.

The virtue of humility requires generous self-consideration of the other from within you toward without you.

Thanksgiving in a stable disposition is required to think along those lines in your own words. But take on God’s Word and you will see conformity in your own words. Hence, St. Paul said be renewed in the spirit of your mind (Renovamini autem spiritu mentis vestrae) [Eph 4:23]

You deserve a quality of life that amounts to the efforts you’ve made. For me, it’s that simple. I think you summed it up well already.

Can you clarify this?

We deserve what will bring us to our greatest good: Union with God, now and in the hereafter.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.