Struggling

Okay, so I’m not exactly the oldest in this faith, in fact just last year I about quite. But still, I guess I should figure on the fact that I am trying, and perhaps God will accept that as well? Anyway, I figured I should post this because the summer is comeing up and from what happend last year, I know it will be a struggle. I don’t know how I will be able to keep up with my faith. That probably sounds dumb, but it’s like I just forget unless I can get a wake up call. And I was wondering if anyone know’s something that would help me stay in touch with God? I go into the chaple every week to pray for about 15 minutes (Maybe thats not enough, or too much?) but it seems like I always forget Gods teachings.

Lacey

Definitely go more than once a week - go as many days as you can manage. Daily Mass is better if you can manage that. And perhaps work up to half an hour rather than 15 minutes.

Above all - consistency. Make a commitment to do the following things each day:

a) pray every morning and evening. Include a morning offering in the morning, a prayer to your guardian angel for help during the day, and grace before and/or thanks after your meals.

At some stage say an Apostle’s Creed, an Our Father Hail Mary and Glory Be, and a decade of the Rosary.

At night examine your conscience (look at the sins - and the good acts - that you did for that day). And say acts of faith, hope, love and contrition, followed by an act of Spiritual Communion and a prayer to your guardian angel thanking them for their help during the day and asking them to keep you safe during the night.

Add whatever other prayers you like, but not so many that you find it a chore.

b) Read as much as you can manage of either the Catechism or the Compendium to the Catechism (easier Q and A format - both are available online) every single day. These aren’t designed really to be read from start to finish, so you might just look at the index and dive into whichever topics interest you, whichever you’d like to learn more about. As well as maybe a chapter of scripture if not more (start with the Gospels).

If reading isn’t your thing you might prefer audio - apart from audio Bibles, there are some great audio shows at EWTN and great spiritual books available at other sites. I’m gathering you might be a teenager from your nickname - if you’re into sports at all there’s a great series they do called ‘Crossing the Goal’, which I’m listening to at the moment.

Do you drive? If so, or you can easily get a ride/take the bus, I would “schedule” yourself for a Holy Hour once a week, in front of the Blessed Sacrament (exposed or in the tabernacle). During those times you might want to either pray and/or say the Rosary. Also you could speak to whoever is in charge of shut-ins at your parish (the parish secretary will know) and see if you can help one or more of them (a ride to mass, lawn mowing, shopping, etc.). If that’s not feasible find another way to volunteer on a regular basis with your parish (again talking to the parish secretary or pastor will give you ideas).

You could carry a paper with the Ten Commandments on it in your pocket. Or carry a pocket-sized Bible.

I’ve never found a Bible that’s truly pocket-size. But I do carry a pocket New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs.

Add a set of Rosary beads! You can get something called a Rosary ring which is extremely discreet, either the size of a regular ring, or larger (like a very large coin), with bumps on the outside edge to count your prayers on.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.