Stuck and need advice, please

Hello, I hope you can help. I have been praying for guidance for a long time now, in terms of finding work that I would be happy in. I enjoy writing fiction and what not from time to time but I cannot make a secure living on this, I am long term unemployed now (nearly 3 years).

Is it possible I am doing something wrong? I try so hard to believe that what I ask will be given, as Jesus said, but just cannot. The doubt is immediate and unstoppable. So I never get any answer. There’s been so many times my prayers havent been answered, and find it impossible to have faith now, since it seems (though probably not) that God has let me down so many times. When I ask for something, I try and say to myself ‘it will be done’, but I am just lying to myself, I cannot believe this.

Can anyone give advice on having faith?

Sometimes the answer is not readily apparent to us, but God does talk to us. We just have to learn to listen and discern His will. Quite often, the voice of God is as quiet as a gentle breeze, and our own thoughts and desires may mask it. Regardless of His answer for us, we must not let our faith fall into temptation, we must pray for strength.

I will pray for you.

God Bless you!

[quote="LB_in_TX, post:2, topic:293442"]
Sometimes the answer is not readily apparent to us, but God does talk to us. We just have to learn to listen and discern His will. Quite often, the voice of God is as quiet as a gentle breeze, and our own thoughts and desires may mask it. Regardless of His answer for us, we must not let our faith fall into temptation, we must pray for strength.

I will pray for you.

God Bless you!

[/quote]

thanks so much. i need your prayers.

Maybe Jesus gave you hands feet and a brain to go out and get a job yourself…flip burgers, drive a forklift that’s what I’m doing, is it what I always and forever want to do? No, but I’m not unemployed…God is leaving this one to you…maybe take this as an opportunity to show God that you’re good for it…

Go get it.

Paz

What I found (and still finding out) is that true faith, true love, true charity in God is a choice more so than what we "feel" or what is happening presently. God's love transcends our circumstances and personalities, so should our love for God. No matter what, choose God, choose love, choose life. Do not listen to your doubts or the bad inspirations from the evil ones. Believe that God only wants what is good for us, so there must be something good happening here compared to being employed.

Praying for your predicament :] My father was in a similar situation, so I understand the utter worthlessness it must feel, but keep on going. It will get better. God is talking to us all the time. It is not He that is letting you down but the world. Keep trying, keep fighting, keep the faith.

[quote="Gorillaman, post:4, topic:293442"]
Maybe Jesus gave you hands feet and a brain to go out and get a job yourself...flip burgers, drive a forklift that's what I'm doing, is it what I always and forever want to do? No, but I'm not unemployed...God is leaving this one to you...maybe take this as an opportunity to show God that you're good for it...

Go get it.

Paz

[/quote]

Your post carries undertones of anger. I am currently looking for work, all the time (been to an interview last week) but here in Ireland, there isn't much at all.

[quote="brendan1986, post:6, topic:293442"]
Your post carries undertones of anger. I am currently looking for work, all the time (been to an interview last week) but here in Ireland, there isn't much at all.

[/quote]

Brendan, I don't read that the poster indicates anger, just is pointing out that we must act ourselves, even if in finding what some people might call 'menial (but necessary) jobs' as your original post doesn't indicate the efforts that you yourself are making.
However you have now corrected that impression.

Yes, I've heard that jobs are scarce in Ireland, which means a lot of people are in a similar position. That isn't God refusing your prayers, but that there is a practical human reason why prayers for work 'aren't answered'. If not enough jobs exist, it is a human issue common to many people, and one that people must remedy if they can in these difficult financial times. Everyone who prays for the one job has need of it, but it can only go to one. You can cut up and share a cake, even if that makes for tiny slices, but unfortunately one can't easily divide up a job so that all who want it can have a slice.

May God give you blessing in every good way that is possible.

I wish you much success with your writing. :)

[quote="Gorillaman, post:4, topic:293442"]
Maybe Jesus gave you hands feet and a brain to go out and get a job yourself...flip burgers, drive a forklift that's what I'm doing, is it what I always and forever want to do? No, but I'm not unemployed...God is leaving this one to you...maybe take this as an opportunity to show God that you're good for it...

Go get it.

Paz

[/quote]

I agree. I was a shoe salesman, busboy, etc., en route to paying my way through college and law school. I graduated with my BA during the Carter administration years, though the job market improved during the Reagan years when I received my JD. These days are not unlike the Carter era. Take what you can get at this moment in time, while not forgetting your ultimate occupational goals.

[quote="brendan1986, post:6, topic:293442"]

[/quote]

I'm really sorry...I didn't mean that in anger at all...I truly was just trying to pass on the message that was passed on to me...I need to learn how to deliver this message in a less brutish manner. But that's what it is..a brutish message...I was just saying ..well maybe I should just shut it..haha.

Paz and good luck.

Regarding OP, sometimes we ask for things and our Lord simply says NO to our requests and we don't want to hear it. We have to trust in Him and that He always knows what is best for us, even when it calls for suffering....sometimes great suffering to teach us a lesson to help us overcome our vices. If you are continuously receiving NO in your prayers, then you are asking for the wrong things. Your will is not aligned with God's will and this may what He is trying to convey to you. We must never try to bend His will to meet our own, we must learn to completely forego our own will in order to adopt His will in all that we do. When we receive suffering, it is a great opportunity to become closer to Jesus and atone for our many sins. We truly are miserable, wretched creatures on our own accounts, but so desperately wants to help us - we have to learn to listen to Him and only seek consolation from Him and no one/nothing else. I realize that I do not know you whatsoever, but it sounds as though Jesus is trying to become closer to you be testing you. You can pass the test by not giving up on your faith and continue to follow Jesus during these trying times. Consider reading the book, The Spiritual Combat by Dom Lorenzo Scupoli. I will pray for you that He will soften your heart and you will learn to strengthen your faith by uniting yourself with His Passion. May God bless you and keep you always. Remember, you are deeply loved.

what ever you do, dont stop, and dont give up.

I have been unemployed almost 3 yrs now as well, and it only gets harder , it isn't easy to learn a trade if you don't have the mind set for it ,and it is even harder if you dont have the stamina to handle college courses.

and even though a menial job may seem menial, it all has a purpose, to keep a company running or to provide a better environment to a customer.

and guess what , it is even harder to start your own business with all of that facing you, and you have no collateral to start anything.

so we have to keep finding ways to move forward, even if it is one menial job at a time, it is saving up that hard earned paycheck to get by long enough till you either move up in the company or manuver ones life to find a better job, or save up enough cash to do your own thing.

and it is hard, especially when you throw in the normal things of life, bills, medical problems, wanting a social life.

it can seem easier to just give up, but then where does that leave you ? worse off than you were at least trying to get ahead.

so dont give up, dont stop trying.

Hello there Brendan! I want you to know that God will always answer our prayers, but not always in the way we hope or expect. I think some of the other people who responded to your post were spot on; God usually speaks to us in rather subtle and quiet ways and it is up to us to be listening. I know you have been struggling with all of this for some time now, but be encouraged, for even Mother Teresa wrote of periods in her life where she felt that God wasn’t answering. I too have been there myself and know what you are going through!

The bottom line is is that God loves you very much and has great plans for you. You may not realize it yet, but God will never abandon you and if you place your complete trust in Him, He will lead you to happiness. I pray for you and ask that the Holy Spirit give you the fortitude and prudence to stay strong and not lose hope.

“Be still and know that I am God.” - Psalm 46:10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.