Student accused of violating university 'safe space' by raising her hand

telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/03/student-accused-of-violating-university-safe-space-by-raising-he/

A university student was threatened with being thrown out of a meeting after being accused of violating “safe space” rules - by raising her hand.

Imogen Wilson, the vice-president for academic affairs at Edinburgh University Students’ Association (EUSA), spoke out against safe space rules becoming “a tool for the hard left to use when they disagree with people”, following the incident last week.

Ms Wilson, 22, was subject to a “safe space complaint” over her supposedly “inappropriate hand gestures” during a student council meeting.

Edinburgh University student Imogen Wilson accused of violating ‘safe space’ rules for raising hand during meeting

telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/03/student-accused-of-violating-university-safe-space-by-raising-he/

Student also reveals how another complaint was almost made against her for shaking her head

A student has been accused of violating ‘safe space’ rules and faced being removed from a council meeting at the University of Edinburgh after she raised her hand during a debate.

Imogen Wilson, 22, a music student and vice-president of academic affairs at the Edinburgh University Students’ Association (EUSA), was one of hundreds of students to have attended a student council meeting to debate Boycotts, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS).

HuffPost UK reports how the student decided to “respond instinctively” at the meeting after being accused of failing disabled students by not responding to an open letter.

University Officer Accused of Violating ‘Safe Space’ Rules for Raising Hands

breitbart.com/tech/2016/04/02/university-officer-accused-of-violating-safe-space-rules-for-raising-hand/

A student at Edinburgh University in Scotland was threatened with removal from a council meeting for violating the ‘safe space’ rules after raising her arms in the air.

After being accused of letting down disabled students by failing to respond to an open letter, Imogen Wilson, the Vice President of Academic Affairs at Edinburgh University, raised her arms in frustration and was thus subjected to a vote as to whether she should remain in the meeting.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/26/2604c8c350d537bb08322a3ea7a94a0fcf8606b56e39ba1f62301224aa417e84.jpg

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/545/OpoQQ.jpg

I wholeheartedly agree with you. These safe space students our ridiculous. At my campus they have secret safe spaces for students who feel scared. They also considered banning trump signs due to latino students getting scared. enough enough enough

You know what, we should capitalize on this stupidity and turn it into a reality TV show. We follow people like this once they get out of their liberal colleges and watch what happens when they’re confronted with reality. I hate reality TV, but I would definitely watch this. It must be spectacular to behold.

This says it best, I think.

God, that’s my University! :eek:

These students should use MySpace if they truly feel insecure at school.

I need a safe space. I’m constantly feeling threatened by people who want to silence and censor the Catholic Church because it doesn’t agree with their ahistorical and anti-Western philosophies, and I deserve a space where I can be completely insulated from every possible discomfort and challenging thought. This university board which allows people to be silenced by force of vocal minority makes me feel as though I am in grave danger and offends my self-identification as a Catholic. They need to be forced out of the university system because they pose a threat to me and other vulnerable students like myself.

If I could roll my eyes any harder, they’d get stuck.

No no no. Don’t you understand. You’re a religious type. Don’t you know that makes you bigoted and intolerant. We will not tolerate such people on our campuses.

I’m with you. The sarcasm required to stress how stupid this is makes my head hurt.

Every time I see one of these stories – And are they becoming more frequent? – I wish I were a university president or other administrator with the power to hand a student his tuition money and dismiss him from campus: “Go home. By all means, feel as safe as you need to. But you must stop occupying university space, which could be used by an applicant who wants to come here and learn things

:twocents:
tee

As much as I agree with the sentiment, the problem is that this would quickly be used to dismiss anyone who rejects the college’s liberal/“progressive” agendas.

Not by me. :dts:

tee

What on Earth even is a “safe space”? I go to community college and I have never heard of such a thing. :confused:

I’ve heard of “blood circle” or “safety circle”, but that’s used by Boy Scouts who are wielding something like a pocket knife while whittling. A simple debate at college has nothing to do with actually using a sharp instrument. :shrug:

This is political correctness gone mad.:mad:

I don’t even know if this is political correctness. This is absolutely, sheer, insanity. That is what it is. :eek:

Ask the LGBT community what a safe space is. Most public schools today have areas designated as “Safe Zones” for LGBT students. At the school I work at, these “Safe Zones” are primarily the social worker and counselors’ offices. Whereever they are, they’re clearly marked with the word “Safe Zone” and either the rainbow or the pink triangle (both symbols of the LGBT movement). These are places where LGBT students can talk about being LGBT without fear of being judged or harassed.

The idea of safe spaces probably grew out of this. It’s supposed to be a place where anyone can express themselves without being harassed. And honestly, I’m not so much against the idea of a safe space, as long as all positions are being honored. Safe spaces, though, rail against any communication (whether verbal, paraverbal, or nonverbal)that is construed by even one person as “hateful”, even if no ill will was meant by the sender of the communication - even if the intended receiver of the communication was not offended. And what’s crazier is that it condemns communication often based on 3rd party reception with the “offended party” often not even belonging to the group that was supposedly “offended” by the communication.

For example, two friends are joking around. One is white and another is Hispanic, with parents from Mexico. The white friend has been over to his friend’s house and vice versa, as they were neighbors growing up and played together in several sports in high school. Reminiscing with his Hispanic friend about times they spent together, the white student (who knows Spanish), does an impression of Hispanic friend’s mom. His Hispanic friend laughs, and states that that was a great impression of his mom. As this is going on, another student passes by, who happens to be white herself, catching only the white student’s impression of his friend’s mother, and reports to a disciplinarian at the school that she was offended on behalf of all Mexican women about the discussion. After this, the disciplinarian searches out the “offending” student and calls him into a disciplinary hearing. The “offending” student has no idea why he is being brought in, etc.

So these zones are geared to safety and free speech for a specific group?

This whole “bubble baby” thing has gone much, much too far. World war III is going to happen because of “hurt feelings”. You know what it’s gonna look like? All the nations, facing off against each other, doing this: :slapfight: And then some genius is going to launch a nuke, and then we’ll all be in Heaven, “ready” to be judged. St. Peter: :doh2: :dts:
God: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I’m with God. Not so safe now, are we?! Ohhhhh humans…

Freedom of speech, which should be particularly valued at a college campus, is becoming increasingly endangered. Go to thefire.org/ and look under “Cases.”

Why does she blame “the hard left”?
This kind of scolding sounds way more right.…way more totalitarian and conservative.

Perhaps in these meetings, it’s meant to be much like a courtroom where you cannot display certain kinds of expressiveness or it is distracting and you are in contempt?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.