Student expelled from college after gay marriage

news.yahoo.com/student-expelled-college-gay-marriage-001243061.html

It’s a Christian college.
She has stated that she broke the agreement, but that others who do so aren’t held to the same standard.

God bless.

I wonder how the combox is looking.

Actually not so bad, the last time I peeked in. Most people are saying she knew what she was doing when she signed the school’s behavior contract.

I had a hard time getting past:

Minard said she did not know how the university learned of her March 17 marriage in Albuquerque, New Mexico, though she did say she posted her marriage license on Facebook.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

:doh2:

I made one, then deleted and left, as I just wasn’t up to the battle.

According to many, she is a victim, though others have been expelled for ‘ongoing’ infractions as well.:shrug:

What does one do?

I saw another article about ‘Archie’ (comics) and supposedly it is touting gun control, and Archie dying a hero as he saves a homosexual from violence.
You know, they are really painting Christians as the bad guys every which way a person turns.
I have nothing against homosexuals, however, I cannot support SSM.

God bless.

Yes, me too.
Apparently last year a student was expelled for posting pictures of herself drunk last year.
But that’s different I guess. :shrug:

God bless.

I am wondering how far this will all go?

And what is the answer to it?
Understood that we need to pray, but what are the material, social answers?

God bless all.

I am really tired, so likely won’t check back in tonight.

She’s right. If they are going to expel her for this, they should check all the other students and see who has broken the conduct code and smoke, drank, had premarital sex, and cursed.

The college will be out of business.

If she didn’t want to follow school guidelines she should have attended a different school with different guidelines. This, “I’m shocked I am being punished for breaking the rules I promised not to break” mentality is everywhere. In addition, pointing to others in a childish attempt to justify one persons wrong simply doesn’t work. I believe it was John Wayne who summed it perfectly by stating, “Life is hard. It’s even harder when you’re stupid.”

Other students have been expelled for conduct violations.

What do you want them to do? Go peeking in people’s bedrooms to see what they’re up to?:shrug:

God bless and good night.

The college regularly disciplines students who break the behavior code for the reasons you list. The difference is that by “marrying” she doesn’t leave the school with other choices such as counseling or “final warning” which they have used in the other cases. You can tell a student “don’t get caught drinking again or your out” but not “don’t get “married” again or your out”.

I am glad that this Christian college had the courage to do the right thing. This student broke their conduct code and so she was rightly disciplined by being expelled.

I wonder if she used in federal money to pay for her tuition, fees etc.

I take the approach that people are free to enter into contracts with organizations - business or otherwise - and to join organizations - religious, civil, or otherwise - as they see fit. In return for joining or entering into a contract, they agree to abide by those rules, and when they break those rules they are held accountable. To me that seems not only fair but necessary, and it honors the ability to make mature and to attend to them.

There is some discussion about some students not getting kicked out for violating the same lifestyle code:

I attended public universities that had behavioral codes or codes of student ethics. They were far less stringent, but they still had them. One school was a dry campus - even for married students over the age of 21. That was a County ordinance and the school honored it. Yes, students drank on-campus (I know I did) and students were punished when they got caught. Most of them cleaned up their act before the disciplinary process got to the point of expulsion, though one was expelled for coming to class drunk.

But drinking is easy to hide, while getting married is not. Especially when you announce something publicly on Facebook. That in and of itself needs to be a lesson for everyone under the age of 30 - it’s something that has gotten my coworkers fired and its something that keeps people from getting jobs. But for some reason 22-year-olds like to share everything going on in their lives in a very public fashion.

The school is within its rights to take disciplinary action as it sees fit. It is more fair when that behavior is codified so that everyone knows what to expect. At my University, the school would have been within its rights to expel me the first time they found Budweiser in my microfridge, and I’m grateful they did not exercise that option. There is perhaps more going on here than the student merely getting married.

An additional factor here may be that because this is a religious institution, the act of gay marriage may have been seen as a break with the school’s religious code. If a Christian college states that it expects its students to have an abiding faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, are they right to expel a student who renounces Christ and converts to Islam? Or who begins to agitate for a Christian theology that disagrees with the school’s own theology? In other words, does a Christian school have a right to insist that its students conform to a set of beliefs (say, the Westminster Confession)? This isn’t something that nominally-Catholic institutions like Notre Dame or Gonzaga impose, but that shouldn’t be taken to mean that other institutions can’t follow suit.

Whether the school - or its students - receive federal funding or other forms of public aid is another question. I think the school can enforce its code as it sees fit, within the guidelines it has established, and the various governments who provide aid can support or not support the school as they see fit according to the guidelines they have established.

Probably a non-starter in this case. The federal money gambit (which in my opinion is a sneaky way for the feds to side step the Constitution) doesn’t apply to school rules and policies, only to admissions and speech. Schools such as Baylor, Brigham Young and Catholic University have repeatedly been upheld in conduct and policy cases even though they have many more students enrolled who may have federal grants or loans.

You’re missing the difference. There is a substantive difference between single events that can be repented of and forgiven versus an ongoing defiance of the foundational principles of the institution.

In the one case, the student can renounce past mistakes and be forgiven. In the other, the student is defiant and refuses to reform her behavior.

:thumbsup:

Two more thoughts on this one:

(1) Depending on the denomination’s creed, they may be unwilling to either recognize gay marriage in the first place, or compel divorce of a legal marriage on the other hand. Without a way out, the school recommends expulsion.
(2) There may have been an attempt at remediation. The school didn’t even say the student’s name out of privacy - it may have attempted several discussions with her since March and given her a choice. Or it may have been a knee-jerk reaction after seeing it on Facebook. We don’t know, but we can’t dismiss that the school would do something between ignore it and kick her out summarily.

there will likely be a law suit. The school put themselves in a no win situation. The best they can hope for is the courts agree that the clause was legally valid. Regardless, the school now faces an angry public that will, wrongly or rightly, drag it through the coals. The PR will likely be devastating besides turning more individuals against anti-GBLT civil rights.

Well…I mean, if you sign the contract, you have to fulfill it. So I feel bad for her since she said certain credits aren’t transferrable, but she had to know that publicly announcing the NM wedding (and yes, Facebook is PUBLIC PEOPLE) would be problematic. To be safe, she should’ve waited until she graduated.

But yeah, legally there’s nothing she can do about it :shrug:.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.