Student fell to death after eating pot cookie

DENVER (AP) — A Wyoming college student visiting Denver on spring break jumped to his death after eating a marijuana cookie that his friend legally purchased in one of Colorado’s recreational pot shops, authorities said Wednesday.

An autopsy report lists marijuana intoxication as a “significant contributing factor” in the death of 19-year-old Levy Thamba Pongi, a native of the Republic of Congo who fell from a motel balcony on March 11.

It marked the first time the Denver medical examiner’s office has listed a marijuana edible as a contributor to a death, said Michelle Weiss-Samaras, a spokeswoman for the office.

bigstory.ap.org/article/student-fell-death-after-eating-pot-cookie

Frustrating confession. Validity?

Judging from my own experiences, it’s hard to control the strength of edibles. But I would not think it would cause suicide.

My prayers.

Are you kidding me? Pot cookies? I have no concept of anyone in their right mind even using pot!:confused: this world needs a good dose of repentance!

Quoting from the news article:

The friends told investigators that Pongi ate the cookie and “exhibited hostile behavior” that included pulling things off walls and speaking erratically, the autopsy report said.

The medical examiner’s office had Pongi’s body tested for at least 250 different substances, including bath salts and synthetic marijuana, which are known to cause strange behavior. His blood tested positive only for THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, according to the report.

The marijuana concentration in Pongi’s blood was 7.2 nanograms of active THC per milliliter of blood. Colorado law says juries can assume someone is driving while impaired by marijuana if their blood contains more than 5 nanograms per milliliter of the chemical.

Okay, so he had enough pot in his system to be impaired, but not a huge amount. According to the report, no other drugs were involved. So what gives? I have always heard that marijuana makes people listless and mellow, not hostile and agitated. I have even read proponents who tout this as a reason why pot should be legal. They say it is safer than alcohol. Are they wrong? Can we expect more deaths and injury?

What a tragedy; prayers for all grieving.
Mary.

As far as the legal cannabis edibles go, they are extremely potent. Many of them have instructions attached that tell the user to only eat one quarter of the cookie as an average dose.

If he ate an entire cookie, then he had at least 4 times the suggested amount.

It depends on the individual on how marijuana affects them. I would get paranoid on it. Irritable and anxious.

This was the first time he and his friends tried it. And with the ammount consumed I totally see that he could have been tripping so hard that he’d do anything to stop it. Panic and paranoia does that.

Panic my friend… Can happen to anyone the first time. Regrettably they were at a lethal height :frowning:

This is why legal pot is a BAD IDEA!!!

Let’s pray for that poor soul and society.

Indeed, stick to the legal alcohol.

Pot has claimed the life of…one college kid.

Perfectly legal binge drinking on the other hand…

niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/special-populations-co-occurring-disorders/college-drinking

Death: 1,825 college students between the ages of 18 and 24 die each year from alcohol-related unintentional injuries.

Assault: More than 690,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 are assaulted by another student who has been drinking.

Sexual Abuse: More than 97,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 are victims of alcohol-related sexual assault or date rape.

Injury: 599,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 receive unintentional injuries while under the influence of alcohol.

Academic Problems: About 25 percent of college students report academic consequences of their drinking including missing class, falling behind, doing poorly on exams or papers, and receiving lower grades overall.

Health Problems/Suicide Attempts: More than 150,000 students develop an alcohol-related health problem and between 1.2 and 1.5 percent of students indicate that they tried to commit suicide within the past year due to drinking or drug use.

Praying for the repose of his soul & for his family.

I agree with you. Legalizing Pot will lead to more of these deaths in the long run.

If I had children, I would never trust someone that smoked pot to be around them or my nieces and nephews for that matter.

Ban alcohol too. The sky is falling!

Really people, get a grip.

Geist:thumbsup:

Pot has claimed the life of more than one person and in this case it was just 1 cookie. Do you have data on how many people have died from drinking 1 alcoholic drink where they never consumed alcohol before?

Marijuana intoxication is arguably contributing to far more harm on society than many people probably think. One of the reasons why the polls are so positive in regards to legalising marijuana in America may be because a lot of people may not know the reality of marijuana intoxication.

An analysis of several studies, published in the British Medical Journal, found that drivers under the influence of marijuana had nearly twice as many serious and fatal car wrecks as nonusers. California, Colorado and Montana all documented increased traffic fatalities caused by drivers with marijuana components in their bloodstreams, coinciding with increased use of medical marijuana.

dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2013/05/23/voters-becoming-wise-to-medical-marijuana-ruse.html

''Currently, one of nine drivers involved in fatal crashes would test positive for marijuana," said co-author Dr. Guohua Li, director of the Center for Injury Epidemiology and Prevention at Columbia. “If this trend continues, in five or six years non-alcohol drugs will overtake alcohol to become the most common substance involved in deaths related to impaired driving.”

philly.com/philly/health/topics/HealthDay684515_20140204_Fatal_Car_Crashes_Involving_Pot_Use_Have_Tripled_in_U_S___Study_Finds.html

America is falling behind educationally behind other countries from where it once was. Do you hear of any of the up and coming countries/economies legalising marijuana?

People have free will and it is not the duty of the state to protect people from themselves.

What about the teachers, doctors, and generally everyone or any walk of life who may recreationally use marijuana who would already be “around” your children.

I haven’t used pot in more than a decade- just choose not to- but the idea of a lazy, long haired, hippy simply isn’t true. Many, many perfectly normal, contributing members of society use marijuana.

I’ve used it off and on in my life, and honestly, I don’t get the hysteria. Being high is so much less than being drunk, both in the sensation and the consequences. It hardly seems worth it to criminalize.

That said, edibles are not the way to go for the first time. The first step in making them is extracting the cannabis oil from the plant, and that’s extremely potent. Unless you know how much oil was used and how you feel being high, they aren’t great.

But I totally agree with you on the stereotypes. The biggest pothead I know IRL is my very accomplished mentor who pushed me into law school and wrote my recommendation.

There was just another story in the news about a drunk college girl falling off a balcony.

nydailynews.com/news/national/asu-student-falls-death-10th-floor-balcony-night-partying-article-1.1741607

People react to drugs in different ways. Alcohol is the same way. Alcohol makes some people angry and hostile, it makes other people mellow and laid back.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.