Student Sues Wisconsin School After Getting a Zero for Religious Drawing

According to the lawsuit, the student’s art teacher asked his class in February to draw landscapes. The student, a senior identified in the lawsuit by the initials A.P., added a cross and the words “John 3:16 A sign of love” in his drawing.

His teacher, Julie Millin, asked him to remove the reference to the Bible, saying students were making remarks about it. He refused, and she gave him a zero on the project.

Red the rest here.

The law only requires that the school stay out of religious issues. It does not prohibit the free expression of faith by students, unless it trespasses on the rights of others. In this case, I don’t think the school has a case, unless the assignment excluded such things.

I once assigned a class to prepare posters advocating their opinion on the ethics of cloning (plants, animals, or humans). Some of them did cite religious reasons for their opinions on the posters.

I put them up, but I talked to the administration first, to make sure they’d support me.

Nobody expressed any dissatisfaction with that.

Millin showed the student a policy for the class that prohibited any violence, blood, sexual connotations or religious beliefs in artwork. The lawsuit claims Millin told the boy he had signed away his constitutional rights when he signed the policy at the beginning of the semester.

Maybe he should have drawn a picture like this:

http://www.vssr.org/images/flags/Culpeper2.jpg

Yes, the class policy doesn’t seem to make much sense. However, I’m not sure that the student is well represented by the Alliance Defense Fund - making an issue of “demonic” images seems a bit over the top.

Atheist though I may be, this is an unfair policy on the teachers part.

Yes, the class policy doesn’t seem to make much sense. However, I’m not sure that the student is well represented by the Alliance Defense Fund - making an issue of “demonic” images seems a bit over the top.

Yeah, things like this often bring out the fruitcake brigade. But the fact remains; this kid was unjustly treated. The ACLU has a standing offer to intervene in such cases, if the offended party will agree to make a complaint.

I got a zero in 1981 for doing my Hero Paper on Saint Bernadette.

Let me rephrase that…I chose to get a zero on my Hero Paper. I was told I could do it over about someone else. But to this day, almost 30 yrs later, I still couldn’t come up with someone else. Okay, maybe PJP2!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.