Student's Donald Trump hat stirs controversy at Calgary's Mount Royal University

CBC:

**Student’s Donald Trump hat stirs controversy at Calgary’s Mount Royal University **

The issues of free speech and safe spaces erupted at Mount Royal University Thursday after video surfaced of a man and a woman arguing over whether he should be allowed to wear a hat supporting U.S. presidential candidate Donald Trump. The video, which had been viewed on Facebook more than 524,000 times as of Thursday afternoon, and was also posted to Youtube, shows a young man wearing a red hat with Trump’s slogan, “Make America Great Again,” being challenged by a young woman.

The issues of free speech and safe spaces erupted at Mount Royal University Thursday after video surfaced of a man and a woman arguing over whether he should be allowed to wear a hat supporting U.S. presidential candidate Donald Trump. The video, which had been viewed on Facebook more than 524,000 times as of Thursday afternoon, and was also posted to Youtube, shows a young man wearing a red hat with Trump’s slogan, “Make America Great Again,” being challenged by a young woman.

"You're not allowed to share hate language in a university," the  woman, later identified as Zoe Slusar, the former vice-president of  student life at MRU, is heard saying.

“I’m not allowed to support a political candidate?” the man, later identified as Matt Linder, replies.
A group soon gathers as an argument ensues over whether it is appropriate for him to wear it.
“Make America Great Again means make America all for white people: no immigrants, no people of different sexual orientation,” the woman says.

Slusar later supplied a statement to CBC.
“He is allowed to wear the hat,” she wrote. “As a student, I disagree with what the hat represents. I have diverse friends (culturally and sexually) who would drop a class if the person wearing the hat was sitting in the room with them, because they would feel unsafe. Given the deeper issues of intolerance and oppression represented by the hat, I disagree with it.”
Donald Trump has been accused of racially charged speech on the campaign trail south of the border and has suggested banning Muslims from entering the U.S. and building a wall along the Mexican border.

University officials declined to comment on the incident, instead offering a statement.
“We are aware of the post and will not comment on the specifics of this instance,” it read.
“Mount Royal University respects individuals who exercise their constitutionally-protected right to freedom of expression.”
MRU political science professor Duane Bratt weighed in on social media, calling the incident “embarrassing.”

I guess her diverse friends don’t include any political diversity.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

I’m of the opinion that Canadians have no business supporting or opposing the candidates of another country, even if they somehow affect us (the U.S. is Canada’s largest trading partner).

It never ever does.

As a college student, I have yet to have seen people get their feathers ruffled over something this ridiculous on campus. It makes me wonder if these PC gone mad articles are really just pump out by the news for laughs. Or, maybe I’m just sheltered.

I personally have a bigger problem with people that buy articles of clothing that are essentially advertisements for businesses than I do for political views. I think I should be paid for advertising a business instead of having to buy their t-shirt. Political statements on clothing don’t bother me, the business logos make me wonder about the intelligence of the wearer. If you want me to wear your logo, you need to pay me, not the other way around.

Good for the university for not getting involved.
This debate is going on in the U.S. all the time, sometimes as vociferously as this woman. But people should be free to take their stand either way.

Indeed. Why would someone support a political candidate of another country?

ICXC NIKA

Pretty ignorant of this woman, considering that Trump is quite friendly towards homosexuals, and a prominent homosexual figure was even a prominent speaker at the RNC. I guess “diversity” makes you stupid. :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.