Students lie, cheat, steal, but say they're good

Nov 30, 4:27 PM EST

Students lie, cheat, steal, but say they’re good

By DAVID CRARY
AP National Writer

NEW YORK (AP) – In the past year, 30 percent of U.S. high school students have stolen from a store and 64 percent have cheated on a test, according to a new, large-scale survey suggesting that Americans are too apathetic about ethical standards.

Other findings from the survey:

-Cheating in school is rampant and getting worse. Sixty-four percent of students cheated on a test in the past year and 38 percent did so two or more times, up from 60 percent and 35 percent in a 2006 survey.

-Thirty-six percent said they used the Internet to plagiarize an assignment, up from 33 percent in 2004.

-Forty-two percent said they sometimes lie to save money - 49 percent of the boys and 36 percent of the girls.

Despite such responses, 93 percent of the students said they were satisfied with their personal ethics and character, and 77 percent affirmed that “when it comes to doing what is right, I am better than most people I know.”

and we wonder what’s wrong with the youth of America…

Part of this is temptation, or the occasions of sin, if you will. When I was in grammar school, and all tests were on paper, there was no temptation to cheat. I would actively had to have leaned over and looked at someone else’s paper.

In high school, tests were taken on computers. I managed never to cheat, but it is more difficult to sit there thinking “Nobody will ever know if I open the internet and look up who on earth Robert LaFolette is on wikipedia…”

It is easier to cheat now, so it grows harder to resist. No excuse for not doing so, but it just explains the uptick.

I find these stats amazing, I was no Saint growing up, in fact I considered myself a troubled youth on some levels, however I cheated once on a test and felt terrible about it. I still knew right from wrong and had no issue with beating up on myself when I did wrong.

Relativism, which this is a prime example, is why civilization is imploding.

As a high school teacher in a public school, the stats don’t amaze me at all. Kids are totally different than even when i was in school 10 years ago. I teach at a very small school in a small county. 850 kids in the school out of a county of 12,000. I’ve got kids in every class (even honors classes) that cheat. I have to make 4-5 different test versions to help prevent it. Stuff gets stolen all the time. I can’t even keep pens and pencils on my desk. If the kids want to borrow one, I charge $0.10 per pencil and $0.15 per pen or paper. They just weren’t giving them back when I just let them borrow one. Also, I have a LOCKED closet in my room. I turned my back during Activity Period one day to help a student with homework and about 2-5 seconds later, a student had broken into the closet, gotten in my purse, and stole my phone. He then passed it off to another student all within a couple of minutes. We caught him, he went to jail (he’s 18), got probation, and was then back at school in ISS for 12 days and then back to my classroom. So do I think the stats are shocking? Nope, not at all.

Don’t let the stats fool you, these kids DO know right from wrong; they simply don’t care.

I find it hard to believe that kids haven’t always, in every civilization, sucessful or not, lied and cheated…they don’t have fully developed frontal lobes, and therefore are bad at making prudent decisions…

Don’t be so hateful. You gotta remember that mankind hasn’t changed a lot since, well, since forever really. Students did the same thing in Saint Augustine’s time (just read his Confessions). Mankind has always been sinful and always seeking the Lord.

Also, stop generalizing the youth. You were young once, so sympatheize. Above all, pray for them and entrust them to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. You know the Lord loves children.

it’s not the cheating that shocked me, it’s the 93 percent that were satisfied with their personal ethics and character and the 77 percent that seem to think “when it comes to doing what is right, I am better than most people I know”

I’m was no saint either, and probably harder on myself than my parents in some cases after I messed up.

angelrose81, I don’t doubt you at all. I’ve know a few teachers (a noble profession by the way:)) and they say the same thing.

Those who are “good” will find no place in Heaven. But those who were both good and righteous will.

Me thinks —

That this post is a counter to the reasoning of the American Humanist Association – specifically their holiday ad: “Why believe in a god? Just be good for goodness’ sake.”

Check out their website and especially the links about being good…

www.whybelieveinagod.org

and then talk to your students…

Hello AngelRose, trust me there are problems in the catholic school also, theft is with both parents and children in the parish school mine goes to.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.