Students Suspended after Protesting Treatment of American Flag

These are some Righteous kids God Bless them.:thumbsup:

Students Suspended after Protesting Treatment of American Flag

[FONT=Times New Roman]http://www.wtap.com/home/headlines/33413759.html[/FONT]

Two area high school students have each received ten-day suspensions after chaining themselves to their school’s flagpole.
Warren High School students Robert and Kenneth Grady, brothers, say they took their actions Monday to win the right to say the Pledge of Allegiance in class.
The students also replaced the school’s ripped flag with one in better condition.
“All the kids in the public school need to be given the opportunity every morning to say the pledge of allegiance. Obviously you can’t force them to, but them that want to should be given the opportunity,” Robert said.
Principal Dan Leffingwell says it was simply a misunderstanding.
“This year we made the decision to only do our student news on Fridays instead of Monday through Friday, and the pledge had been a part of that, so just on accident the pledge had been omitted from our daily activities,” Leffingwell said.
“Actually I appreciate them bringing it to our attention; however, it could have been done in a more adult fashion,” Leffingwell said.
After replacing the torn and tattered flag with a new one and getting permission to say the pledge every morning, the Grady brothers remained chained to the flagpole, claiming their concerns go beyond their own high school.
“It’s more of a statement to the entire community, to basically the entire nation that the youth, they do care,” Robert said.
“There was a lot of people that really felt the same exact way, but just never went out and said anything in this way,” Kenneth said.
While the Grady brothers will spend the next two weeks at home for Monday morning’s protest, Warren High School Principal Leffingwell says the Pledge will be said every day starting Tuesday.

While civil disobedience is an American tradition, wouldn’t it have been better to just bring the issue to the attention of the principal?

The school seemed perfectly willing to correct the problem. We should save protests and disobedience for cases where there is a problem and authorities will not do the right thing when asked.

““Actually I appreciate them bringing it to our attention; however, it could have been done in a more adult fashion,” Leffingwell said.”

The principal does not seem to be very observant about what is going on in his own school.

I agree with both of you but you have to dig the kids.:thumbsup:

I agree with both of you but you have to dig the kids.

Right on! :smiley:

John

Smart kids. I think if it had been handled in an adult fashion, it would have been a non story.

It didn’t dawn on this principle that he took out the pledge.:rolleyes:

I figure the principle knew what he was doing and just didn’t care. The article does quote him as saying “WE made the decision.” One of the responders mentions that there where flyers handed out at the school. I wonder if one of the kids did ask about the pledge and was blown off by the administration?

The principle’s point of view actually makes a lot of sense here. If the announcements included the pledge, and the announcements were dropped, leaving it to the teachers, I can see where many would forget.

We need to remember that teachers and administrators have a million things to worry about, and when something is done out of habit, it can be, unfortunately, forgotten. I doubt the man is a sinister sleeper agent out to destroy respect for the United States. He made an honest mistake, and he even expressed sympathy for the kids who chained themselves to the flagpole.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.