Students to be taught there is no God

For primary school students in the Australian state of Victoria, the humanist indoctrination of state courses is no longer a subtle matter.
“Victorian state primary school students will soon be able to take religious education classes which teach there is no evidence God exists,” the Australian Associated Press report begins. The new course, developed by the Humanist Society of Victoria, is designed to counter religious instruction courses, both of which students can opt out of through parent intervention.
The courses will be taught by “accredited volunteers” who will presumably proclaim the humanist doctrine that says ethics have “no necessary connection with religion.”
news.com.au/story/0,27574,24797483-421,00.html

:rolleyes: But God forbid we teach Intelligent Design or Creationism to prove there is a God in Religious classes… Link and text originally found from here:
answersingenesis.org/articles/2008/12/20/news-to-note-12202008#six

The fool says in his heart, "There is no God.

God bless

1. Which god?
  2. They are right though: there IS NO EVIDENCE, at least not more for one diety than for another or any supernatural claim I make this very moment.
  3. It seems to me they are NOT TEACHING THERE IS NO GOD(s), but THERE IS NO EVIDENCE for there being one(some), which is a good stance.

Admittedly, the tone could potentially be anti-religious, but I would agree. There is no evidence God exists. At the end of the day, its about faith.

Robertsxxx

1. Which god?

The one that 2.3 billion believe in. 1/3 of the world.

1. They are right though: there IS NO EVIDENCE, at least not more for one diety than for another or any supernatural claim I make this very moment.

And there is no evidence to the contrary either.

1. It seems to me they are NOT TEACHING THERE IS NO GOD(s), but THERE IS NO EVIDENCE for there being one(some), which is a good stance.

More lawyer talk. Great. You know darn well what humanist are/do. Just Liberals.

Meaning what they are teaching is perfectly correct.

My Windows XP software can’t prove that Bill Gates exists. I’m sure there is a small group of interconnected computers out there that “think” that they evolved from primitive diodes.

-Tim

:: Falls off chair laughing:: Amen, brothah!

Robertsxxx;

Meaning what they are teaching is perfectly correct.

If they had no agenda or bias, then I would agree. But they do, so I don’t.

God help us. I pray that the governments of other Australian states don’t follow the atheistic and unChristian (pro-abortion) policies of the Victorian government. It’s a beautiful State, in which I was born…but it is now one where I would never choose to live.

Make sure you preface “humanist” with “secular”. Not all humanists are enemies of God.

CWBetts;

Make sure you preface “humanist” with “secular”. Not all humanists are enemies of God.

Refer to the comment and note the context please.

Most modern humanists are Liberals and support abortion. Therfore, are enemies of God.

humanists.org/aboutHC/positions.htm

If atheist and agnostic parents want their children to be taught humanist perspectives what’s the problem? It’s an alternative, it’s not compulsory.

What you say is true in that if atheist parents want an alternative and this isn’t compulsary then it’s alright. The point I wished to bring up is the irony that here we will have a class under religious studies that will undoubtedly use naturalistic science and other humanist philosophies to show evidence that there is no God.

Whereas if we want to use science, even in religious classes, to prove there is a God through either ID or Biblical creationism, we are not allowed to and the courst and secular institutions will lobby against it. It’s unjustified and entirely hypocritical!

The course is one of ‘humanist applied ethics’ as an alternative curriculum for parents who want it.

It’s also Australia, not the US, which (I expect) is rather like Europe in lacking the curious cultural phenomenon of ‘creationism’. So you’re importing an American preoccupation into another set of circumstances altogether.

& religious classes mandatory in schools (at least in mine they were) are not biased?

So atheism IS a religon! :slight_smile:

And if they’re going to be taught there’s no scientific evidence for God, than they might as well teach there is no evidence for, let’s say, gravity.

Faith and science go hand in hand: with faith you can pick up in science tons of evidence for God which would instead, if picked up without faith, point to an infinite, inconprehensive thing that caused the Universe to exist - oh, and we Christians call this “thing” God. (Even Charles Dawkins says the best science can come up with is “an infinite, incomprehensive thing”).

This class had better be teaching the philosophical arguments for God, at the very least, because philosophy may not be science but I’ll be damned if it’s ignored!

God, than they might as well teach there is no evidence for, let’s say, gravity.

That was a joke right? If so, my advice is to refrain from such humour since you just made yourself look very ignorant…

for God which would instead, if find without faith, point to an infinite, inconprehensive thing that caused the Universe to exist - oh, and we Christians call this “thing” God.

Can you give specific examples so I’d know where you’re coming from?

(Even Charles Dawkins says the best science can come up with is “an infinite, incomprehensive thing”).

& somebody cares because?

Keep on topic. This is about the news, not arguments for or against God. Open a new thread if you want that argument.

Just to show that the age of miracles hasn’t passed, here, once again, on CAF we witness the transformation of a molehill into a mountain.

It’s classes on ‘humanist applied ethics’ for children of parents who want them to attend not ‘your God doesn’t exist’ classes for parents of devout Catholics and Protestants.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.