Students Want College To Suspend Grading Over Police Killings Of Blacks

Over 1,000 students at Oberlin College in Ohio have signed an online petition asking the school to suspend standard grading because they need to process the police killings of Michael Brown, Eric Garner and Tamir Rice.

opposingviews.com/i/society/education/students-want-college-suspend-grading-over-police-killings-blacks

We are raising a generation of whiny wimps.

No not a generation of whiny wimps, a generation of self-important self-entitled individuals who see nothing wrong about using someone else’s tragedy to profit themselves; and, if the comments of one of the authors of the petition is any indicator, racists (“I encourage all of you who believe that your white professors and administrators are not racist, email them with about anything that has to do with black people and see their response.”; apparently being white means you’re of course a racist).

This could be a Saturday Night Live skit, but USA’s youth beat them to it. Bad parody of 1967. I am glad my Goldwater loving grandfather has passed on; he would have an apoplectic fit - kick in his television set. Come to think of it, Martin Luther King would probably be about at that point too…

LOLOLOL are they kidding?

Amazing that they would think their professors and administrators to be that stupid.

I guess we’ll see.

Lenna dunhams alma mater . Nough said

Never let a good crisis go to waste…:rolleyes:

OBERLIN, Ohio - Oberlin College has refused to suspend failing grades this semester despite requests for relief from students who skipped classes and missed study time to protest recent deaths at the hands of police across the nation.

cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/12/oberlin_college_denies_request.html#incart_river

I wonder if some youngster was listening to Neil Young when he penned in the student newspaper,

Though President Krislov maintains that the College is working hard to ensure students’ comfort and safety, the College’s administration has taken a more active role in past instances of national trauma.

In May of 1970, Oberlin College, like many colleges across the country, suspended classes and the standard grading system for the remainder of the year after the Ohio National Guard fired into a crowd of Kent State University demonstrators, killing four students and wounding nine.

oberlinreview.org/7109/news/7109/

It sounds like the kids want to co-opt the glorious protests of the past?…. :rolleyes:

I say

My father told of the Western settler whose neighbor asked to borrow his axe.

He said no because he had to shave today.

His wife asked him what shaving had to do with the axe.

He replied: " When you don’t want to do something, one excuse is as good as another." :smiley:

I, for one, would be upset if Oberlin students* didn’t* do something like this.

Isn’t this sort of act the very thing they’re all about there?

Aside from that, if when I was in college there was a chance of suspending grades for a semester…count me in! :smiley:

I had a college Philosophy class and at the beginning of the semester the professor asked us if we wanted to decided on our own grades. We took a vote, and voted yes. Of course, I decided I’d get an A. And he was good to his word: I got an A. :smiley: There was no grading of any sort.

I would not consider a thousand signatures a sampling of American youth. There is no mention of this story on Oberlin’s website. Therefore, the college does not seem like it is taking it very seriously.

A student on her Facebook started this petition. If she has a thousand friends on her Facebook - than she has a thousand signatures. Anyone validate if all these signatures are valid students? There is only approximately three thousand student enrolled at Oberlin. I hope no one seriously references these types of sites as legitimate sources. Wait! I think they found Jimmy Hoffa, let me go read that story…:eek:

The President of Oberlin took it seriously enough to respond to it

“A poor excuse is better then no excuse”–old saying :smiley:

Yep. So when they are in the work force and something happens that grabs the news, or personal problems they will want what? A week or two off work and no standards for work evaluations during these stressful times because they are “processing?” What a joke. A bunch of whiny wimps is spot on.

:thumbsup:

Mary.

Sorry, but from the Oberlin’s own website - there is no mention. I am certain that if I wrote him a letter stating my concerns, he may have one of his staff members address my message. However, that would not mean that they plan to move forward on the issue.

I am just saying the source of the story is a rag or in cyberspace would we still refer to it as a rag (maybe spam is a better word)?

Did you read the article? The President is quoted in it.

Heres the story as reported by the Oberlin Student Newspaper:

oberlinreview.org/7109/news/7109/

Heaven forbid some college kids actually protest what they perceive, as do I, as a grave miscarriage or justice.

But then again, we do need those whiny wimps to give all the old tea party NRA Grandpas something to really whine about. :wink:

So asking that you be given no worse than a C because some people got shot is “protesting”? Looks to me like trying to capitalize on someone else’s tragedy.

So you are saying it is okay to broad-brush people based on skin-color, disability, religion, gender as well as age?

Yes, and this generalization as well, may not be correct.

Let alone, this does not make sense in describing some conservative strongholds such as the Dakotas, Kansas, Arkansas and so on.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.