Studies and Meditations on this Sundays Scripture Readings: February 24, 2013

"Jesus took Peter, John, and James and went up the mountain to pray. While he was praying his face changed in appearance and his clothing became dazzling white. And behold, two men were conversing with him, Moses and Elijah, who appeared in glory and spoke of his exodus that he was going to accomplish in Jerusalem..."

To help us prepare for this coming Sunday, here are the readings, studies and reflections for this coming Sunday's Scripture readings. This Sunday is the 2nd Sunday of Lent.

Here are the Scripture readings from the U.S. Catholic bishops website.

My own weekly study on the Sunday Readings can be found here.

Here are three short audio reflections on the readings by Sister Ann Shields, Dr. Scott Hahn, and Fr. Robert Barron.

Scripture scholar Fr. Francis Martin's video meditations on the Sunday Scripture readings can be found here.

Here is a Catholic Bible study podcast (each about an hour long) from the Franciscan Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother. The sister leading the study does a really nice job using primarily, I believe, the notes from the St. Charles Borromeo study linked below.

The Navarre Bible Commentary for each reading can be viewed here.

Further study resources for the Readings: St. Charles Borromeo Bible Study can be found here, Catholic Matters can be found here, the Catena Aurea *("Golden Chain") of St. Thomas Aquinas can be found here, and the *Haydock Commentary can be found here.

Please consider supporting those who provide these free resources.

Discussion, questions and charitable comments are always welcome. Have a blessed week!

http://www.uocofusa.org/images/icons/Transfiguration.jpg

I just want to say how much I enjoy the beautiful iconic images you attach to all your posts :) Thanks~

[quote="Prairie_Rose, post:2, topic:315952"]
I just want to say how much I enjoy the beautiful iconic images you attach to all your posts :) Thanks~

[/quote]

You're welcome! Even though I'm Latin Rite, I love icons. The good priest who built our parish church here was bi-rite-- Latin and Byzantine Catholic. As a result, unlike most Latin rite Catholic churches, we have several beautiful icons prominently displayed in the sanctuary. :)

http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/125/5f426e1afbe8f4030239900aa0d35355/l.jpg

I'm a big fan of both Iconic paintings and Stained Glass. Sadly our Church was built new in the mid 1960's and so it has very little traditional art or artistic qualities .....sigh......
In fact, many of the statues and artwork from the previous old Church were given away or sold when the new structure was built. Such a shame, in my opinion.

So I always enjoy the traditional stained glass and architecture of older churches.

God Blessings to you :)
~~Prairie Rose

From The Sacred Page blog:
"Although loosely related, the Readings for this Sunday are linked by the theme of the Exodus. In the First Reading, the Exodus is prophesied; in the Gospel, Jesus begins a New Exodus that culminates in the Last Supper and Calvary..."*

Read more: The Second Sunday of Lent: The Beginning of the New Exodus

Moses is said to represent the law and Elijah is said to represent the prophets. Does Jesus represent the greatest commandments, do all the law and the prophets hang on Jesus, the central figure in the transfiguration?

[quote="Eric_Hyom, post:6, topic:315952"]
Moses is said to represent the law and Elijah is said to represent the prophets. Does Jesus represent the greatest commandments, do all the law and the prophets hang on Jesus, the central figure in the transfiguration?

[/quote]

That is correct. As the Navarre Bible Commentary puts it:

Moses and Elijah are the two most prominent representatives of the Old Testament--the Law and the Prophets. The fact that Christ occupies the central position points up His pre-eminence over them, and the superiority of the New Testament over the Old.

Jesus is thus MORE than a lawgiver (like Moses) and MORE than prophet (like Elijah). He is the one the Law and Prophets pointed to,

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.