Studio Ghibli Movies

I am a huge fan of the Studio Ghibli movies. For those who may not know what they are, their Japanese anime movies. I’ve seen almost all of them and I love every single one. The quality of these movies is amazing. They are far better than the Disney movies, because these actually have a moral or a message in them. I also like how the bad guy usually never dies in these, but learns a lesson. I do have to admit that Disney actually does a good job in dubbing the movies.
Their all family friendly with the exeption of two: Grave of the Fireflies and Princess Mononoke.
Grave of the Fireflies is a truelly awsome movie, but it’s about two siblings in Japan during WWII, and it is truely one of the saddest movies I’ve ever seen. Also one of the best War movies I’ve ever seen.
Princess Mononoke is a great movie, with a really good message, but it is violent in some parts.
I really recommend the other movies by this Studio to parents that are a bit tired of the regular Disney movies. The english dubbed versions of the Studio Ghibli movies are done by Disney, and I do give them credit for an awsome job.
Here are the ones I’ve seen (I’ll list them by favorites).

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. My all time favorite movie actually.

Howl’s Moving Castle.

Spirited Away

Whisper of the Heart

Kiki’s Delivery Service

My Neighbor Totoro

Castle in the Sky

Princess Mononoke

Grave of the Fireflies

Pom Poko

Only Yesterday

I Can Hear the Ocean

I too am a great fan.:slight_smile:

Although Princess Mononke is well animated, I just didn’t connect with that movie. Porco Rosso was okay too.

On the other hand, I loved , loved Spirited Away and Howl’s Moving Castle.

I also really like Whisper of the Heart, it’s a cute story.

I also liked “The Cat Returns”, it’s just a fun movie, nothing too serious.

I’ve been trying to get The Cat Returns, but none of the stores in my area carries it. It looks like such a cute movie.

It’s on youtube, but if you don’t want to deal with youtube’s bad video quality,
then you can also Check your library if they carry it.
Nowadays, you can usually search your library catalogs online at home and even nearby libraries and some of them may request the item for you and send it your library.

It has been a long time since I watched them but I remember I enjoyed ‘The Cat Returns’ and ‘Whispers of the Heart’. Especially the ‘Country Road’ tune sung in Japanese, that was really something.

I can’t call myself a Ghibli fan, his style is ironically a little too Western and slow, but he’s done some good stuff.

I prefer series to anime movies generally, something like Legend of Galactic Heroes or Legend of Condor Hero.

“Spirited Away” was the first anime I ever watched, and it’s what got me into the whole genre. My second favorite Studio Ghibli movie? Major toss-up between “Princess Mononoke” (hearing that my favorite auther, Neil Gaiman, had written the English language script made it a must-see and I’m glad I did) and “My Neighbors the Yamadas” (Think of a Japanese version of the “Family Circus” comics; it’s my understanding that it’s based off a popular Japanese comic strip).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.