Study: 15 percent of US youth out of school, work

The bigger story is buried:

But changing the dynamic is not going to be easy.

The coalition also finds that 49 states have seen an increase in the number of families living in poverty and 45 states have seen household median incomes fall in the last year. The dour report underscores the challenges young adults face now and foretell challenges they are likely to face as they get older.

bigstory.ap.org/article/study-15-percent-us-youth-out-school-work-0

Incomes falling and poverty rates rising - during a "recovery"?

I’m not sure, and I doubt you are, that there really is a “recovery” going on. When they change GDP to include R&D expense as if it was income, and when the stock market is operating on artificial arbitrage, I am not at all persuaded that there is a “recovery” going on.

It’s Bush’s fault.

That or the numbers are racist.

Thank you, American Democrats! :rolleyes:

I assume this is why the Church has been clamoring to live simply for so long and why Catholic financial advisors came into existence.

The percentage of young Americans who are leading aimless lives, involved in crime, alcohol, and drugs, is, sadly, much larger than 15 percent.

But we can’t put God in school and teach kids virtue and that their lives have definite purpose. No that apparently has been deemed bad.

The cost of higher education has nearly tripled since 1980 so its no surprise that a sizable portion don’t bother. Labor force participation for this age range peaked in the late 80s too and unemployment for this group has historically been high.

When the government began providing massive amounts of LOAN money through predatory lending practices to unsuspecting high school students the colleges obliged by charging more and more for their ever decreasing product.

What better way to increase dependence on government?

I always wondered why kids don't get taught personal financials in high school, kids leave high school go to college and then learn how they will owe money for 20 years just on their student loans.

[quote="SamH, post:4, topic:342760"]
That or the numbers are racist.

[/quote]

Nah, the numbers are homophobes.

[quote="KP3243, post:12, topic:342760"]
I always wondered why kids don't get taught personal financials in high school, kids leave high school go to college and then learn how they will owe money for 20 years just on their student loans.

[/quote]

The kids in question aren't in college so no worries about student loan debt. :rolleyes:

The issues with college costs are schools spending like crazy on things like giant student union buildings with fancy coffee shops and conference facilities, fitness centers, and other non-essential junk.

However, when high school graduation rates are below 80% nationwide, there is a bigger problem than college student load debt.
blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-blog/2013/01/22/new-federal-high-school-graduation-data-national-average-is-78-percent-georgia-rate-is-69-9/

If I build a building for my business, the cost of the building counted as part of GDP. How is R and D any different? They are both investments, presumably both are done because of a return that is expected in the future.

Yes, you better thank the Democrats that our economy is still intact and improving each day from the 2007 economic disaster the Republican Party brought upon this country. :mad:

Democrat controlled house and senate that refused to act on Bush’s warnings may have had a little more to do with it than you might like to admit. :rolleyes:

Actually the republican controlled house and senate also refused to act as well.

This is not good news. A job is a human right. I hope and pray that these students will find good jobs. May Saint Joseph pray for them. Amen.

Now THAT"S funny. What a great way to start the day.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.