Study: 8.8 billion Earth-size, just-right planet

channelone.com/study-8-8-billion-earth-size-just-right-planets/

What is your opinion?

We need to get NASA more funding so that they can get that Alcubierre warp drive finished.

:):):):slight_smile:

. . . and pray that the Vulcans get here before the Klingons.

They extrapolated this number from ten planets they actually knew (or believed) were about earth-size and in the not-too-hot, not-too-cold zone. Seems a leap to me, but maybe it isn’t to scientists.

One wonders what they would make of Venus if they viewed it from 77 trillion miles away, or Mars. Would they think they were in the goldilocks zone? But we pretty well know there’s no life on either of them.

Maybe Venus would support life if its atmosphere wasn’t what it is. Maybe Mars could support life if it had a spinning iron core. But both have deadly defects.

Is there water on any of the ten? Is there oxygen? Is there Ozone? Is there a neutral gas like nitrogen to keep everything from burning up in a flash? Is the atmosphere poisonous? Is there a spinning iron core, necessary to keep solar radiation from killing everything? Is there enough of any of the elements living creatures need?

I think we’re a very long way from knowing whether any planet other than Earth is capable of supporting life, let alone from knowing there is life on any of them.

^This.

This doesn’t necessarily mean that there cannot possibly be any other planets with life on them, but it certainly doesn’t mean that we have proof that there is.

Up to now, we just don’t know.

Channel one, huh?

I think we can support a lot more than that. The problem is personal selfishness, not number of people.

I think we need a little more than the EM spectrum and gravity silhouettes before talking about specifics of other planets outside our solar system.

They couldn’t even get Pluto properly classified! :shrug:

But for some reason, everybody seems so hungry to find alien life that any possibility thereof is clutched at.

ICXC NIKA

Indeed. Secular culture has such a romantic idea about alien life that its importance is rather painfully overstated.

Or for that matter, the desirability of contact with it.

I mean, for every possibility of a friendly and lovable ET or Chewbacca, there are ten possibilities of a race looking for slaves or colonial real estate.

If alien life has developed thinking bodies with human-class or higher minds; and lives within a findable distance; and exceeds us technologically; and came from a history anything like ours, we should be very afraid.

ICXC NIKA

God is the creator of all that is…he created us out of love…were we the first of his created beings?..I like to think God is still creating life through-out this vast universe because of his infinite love for his creation.:slight_smile:

You are **not **kidding!!! :smiley: :thumbsup: I would be terrified! :bigyikes:

:mad:I, for one, refuse to accept the rejection of Pluto as a planet. So there! :wink:

They couldn’t even get Pluto properly classified!

Isn’t he Mickey Mouses dog:confused:

THERE ARE NINE PLANETS! :thumbsup:

What are there, some 300 billion stars in the Milky Way alone? I guess it’s possible to have an atmosphere good enough to sustain intelligent life for say a few million years on some of them. I guess we won’t know for sure until the Final Judgement.

Actually, they’re still studying and debating about it. Some think Pluto might be a coyote with a bruised nose.

Probably didn’t matter to the ancient Greco-Roman world. The physics is still the same.

Better the Klingons than Formics!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.