Study Concludes White Police Officers Are Not More Likely To Shoot Black

DANG IT
BLM needs a new schtick
But most knew that from day one

The relevant issue is not whether or not white officers are more likely to shoot black people, but whether black people are more likely to be shot by police officers than white people are in similar circumstances.

The race of the police officers doing the shooting is not the issue raised by groups like Black Lives Matter.

Peace and God bless!

8 Likes

while I hope this sort of data changes the discussion, BLM presented the shootings as racist attacks, not something due to other socioeconomic factors that do influence education attainment and crime rates.

Right, and the article debunked that basically stating that the crime rates are the single best predictor of where elevated numbers of shootings will occur. In other words shootings generally occur in more dangerous neighborhoods, which is pretty much a statement that should start with Duh!.

1 Like

If black people are being shot at higher rates in similar circumstances then these are racist attacks regardless of race of the police officers.

The point is that we live in a society in which blacks, and especially black men, are viewed as being more dangerous as a group than people with a different appearance. We also live in a society where police are empowered to kill when they “feel threatened”. These two ingredients alone lead to the potential for racist (conscious or not) use of force on a systemic level, which is the point Black Lives Matter has been presenting. This has nothing to do with some kind of “race targeting” by non-black officers against blacks.

Racism need not be purely conscious, nor does it need to be between people of different races. In fact, racism against blacks by black police officers has long been a problem asserted in the black community. As Ice Cube rapped with N.W.A.:

But don’t let it be a black and a white one
‘Cause they’ll slam ya down to the street top
Black police showin’ out for the white cop

Peace and God bless!

It seems to me that the question which should be paired with yours is whether black people are more likely to be in the situation as well.

I remember a huge outcry that state troopers in NJ were disproportionately pulling black drivers over for speeding. And the study which was done showed that black drivers were more likely to be speeding.

And proportionate to speeding, slightly less likely to be pulled over.

1 Like

Of course shootings will be higher in high-crime areas. The question is whether or not blacks are more likely to be shot by police in similar circumstances, i.e. in areas of similar crime levels and when exhibiting similar behavior.

The point, correct or not, is that blacks already have an extra strike against them due to racist perceptions about the risk they pose. If a cop is permitted to kill when they feel threatened, then the deck is already stacked against a black person in comparison to a white person if all other factors are equal.

Peace and God bless!

I’m interested in seeing this study. How did they determine the race of those who were supposedly speeding but weren’t stopped? How could they determine that blacks were more likely to speed in general unless they tracked all speeders including those who weren’t pulled over?

It’s a worthwhile question to ask, for sure.

Peace and God bless!

You don’t need a study. Drive into the city and see all the speeding, tailgating, honking, aggressive driving, running stop signs and red lights.

The self-righteous indignation that is simmering among SJWs is not going to be appeased by this. It doesn’t suit their narrative.

2 Likes

Your post is a great example of why careful studies are indeed necessary.

Peace and God bless!

2 Likes

Police are authorized to use deadly force in situations where they believe the suspect poses a threat of death or serious bodily injury to the officer or another person. If the officer uses deadly force, he or she must explain why the situation called for it.

Your gross over-generalization of what police officers are “empowered” to do is insulting to the law enforcement community.

4 Likes

Right, and as the Harvard study shows, blacks actually have a statistically lower chance of being shot in similar circumstances. So that is at least two major studies that debunk the idea that racism is causing blacks to be shot in greater rates than other races.

2 Likes

So everything has got to be RACIST with you?

2 Likes

My statement was merely what you yourself just described. I never said that they could shoot without explanation, nor that their explanation is always accepted.

My description is what the law allows. You placing “feel threatened” in quotes is an attempt to minimize the validity of actions taken by police involved in deadly force encounters.

Do you know any cops in real life?

4 Likes

https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/Publications/abstract.aspx?ID=211003

1 Like

My placing “feel threatened” in quotes was to recognize the extremely broad nature of the assessment in question, not to question the validity of any given application. You are ascribing motive without good reason.

Utterly irrelevant, but of course I do. I have also frequently worked side by side with them as an EMT and depended on their expertise in handling patients. I know what it means to make potentially life-changing decisions about a person based on my professional assessment, and I also know how unconcious biases can play a role in such assessments.

Peace and God bless!

Awesome, thanks! Can’t read the whole study but the abstract describes a methodology that addresses my question. Looks interesting.

Peace and God bless!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.