Study Confirms Abortion Increases Risk of Depression

By Tim WaggonerOSLO, Norway, August 7, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - A 2008 study by the University of Oslo in Norway has found that young adult women who have had abortions are more likely to become depressed.The study, which involved 768 women between the ages of 15 and 27, was carried out…

Full article…

The study also says this (I copied it from the link to the original abstract)

*There was no association between teenage abortion and subsequent depression. Conclusions: Young adult women who undergo induced abortion may be at increased risk for subsequent depression. *

What I wonder and what I didn’t see addressed is if these women had a history of depression before they had the abortion. I think this is a valid question as to decision to have an abotion at all. I speak from personal experience. My mental state was very fragile and was on of the main reasons I had an abortion. I was later diagnosed with bipolar disorder and have been hospitalized for suicidal depression, as well as treated for severe depression without hospitalization for years. :confused:

i don’t see how you could have an abortion and not be depressed later on. i just saw some pictures and videos for the first time the other day and it was very sad what happens. i have had close family members who had abortions and their lives were pretty mixed up after that.

This from MEDLINE:

Med Sci Monit. 2007 Oct;13(10):CR430-6.C

Rees DI, Sabia JJ.

Department of Economics, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA. Daniel.Rees@cudenver.edu

**RESULTS: **Women who had an abortion between the first and second follow-up interviews were almost twice as likely to have symptoms of MD as women who did not become pregnant. This difference could not be explained by factors such as race, ethnicity, age, education, household income, number of children, or prior depressive symptomatology. In fact, after adjusting for these factors, abortion was still associated with a more than two-fold increase in the likelihood of having depressive symptoms at second follow-up (OR=2.15, 95% CI: 1.01 to 4.57, p=0.047). Giving birth was associated with a statistically comparable increase in the likelihood of having the symptoms of MD.

CONCLUSIONS: The results suggest that the positive association between abortion and depressive symptoms cannot be explained by pre-pregnancy depression. Women who have an abortion are not at higher risk of MD than those who give birth.

the point women who have abortions AND women who deliver ALL are more likely to be depresssed than women who DON"T GET PREGNANT.

Recently it has been reported that post-partum women get PTSD–post traumatic stress disorder–in addition to post-partum depression and post-partum psychosis.

Conclusion:

Pregnancy is bad for your health.

pregnancy effects a woman’s body in many ways. i am not sure if your hormones ever recover.

to terminate a pregnancy is ending a human life.

to have a live birth, whether you keep the baby or give it up for adoption, is bringing forth life.

once you become pregnant, whatever choice you make, your life will never be the same.

You realize that the danger of posting findings such as this is a potential outbreak of Endless Anecdote Syndrome?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.