Study: Couples who delay having sex get benefits later

Study: Couples who delay having sex get benefits later

This just confims our Catholic belief of no sex before marriage. And the extensive marriage preparation couples go through help also. Some churches do not do much for marriage preparation.

I would not just say it is a Catholic belief - it is a belief held by many different religions - and thank God for that!!! He knows what is right for us.

Yes, indeed. The article is a press release from Brigham Young University which, of course, is a Mormon school. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is well known for its conservative social values My guess is that among Christian denominations, those which are most conservative in their beliefs also are most adamant in opposition to sex before marriage. I’m not very familiar with non-Christian religons, but certainly Islam very much frowns on premarital sex.

But none of that takes away from Beth’s point: that the study’s conclusion supports the wisdom of the Church’s teaching.

Catholic teaching wins again! Ring a-ding-ding! :slight_smile:

As much as I'd love for this to be true . . . the fact that BYU did it makes me suspect that there might have been biased. I would suspect the same of any university that seeks to emphasize family values.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I would like this to be genuine but I have my doubts.

I third the doubts.

Furthermore, in Psych classes, they hammer in the phrase “correlation does not infer causation”. Delaying sex does not cause people to be happier/more satisfied. It is simply a link. Perhaps people who delay sex are also “choosy” people who don’t rush into thing quickly. Thus, they pick a partner more suited to them instead of hastily rushing into relationships. Sex would be a biproduct of their choosiness in this case. Or maybe people who tend to delay sex are happier people in general. Who knows? Correlation studies must always be taken with a *huge *grain of salt.

I guess sexuality is the one problem I still have trouble reconciling with the church, so stuff like this really gets under my skin. That’s a whole other story though.

There's quite a few "studies" about this topic out there, but all of them [the ones I've seen at least] have come from groups and organisations that might have a slight bias towards pushign the no sex thing.

Of course, from my own personal life, everyone I know who has sex out of wedlock has a whole host of problems, ie. confidence issues, lack of satisifcation in their relationships, short lived relationships, confusion about life goals, being in "lust" as opposed to in love, cheating et al et al.

Pushing aside the family values movement and the Church, sex out of wedlock is just a stupid idea anyway, what with diseases, unplanned pregnancies et cetera.

[quote="egm85, post:8, topic:223801"]
I third the doubts.

Furthermore, in Psych classes, they hammer in the phrase "correlation does not infer causation". Delaying sex does not cause people to be happier/more satisfied. It is simply a link. Perhaps people who delay sex are also "choosy" people who don't rush into thing quickly. Thus, they pick a partner more suited to them instead of hastily rushing into relationships. Sex would be a biproduct of their choosiness in this case. Or maybe people who tend to delay sex are happier people in general. Who knows? Correlation studies must always be taken with a *huge *grain of salt.

I guess sexuality is the one problem I still have trouble reconciling with the church, so stuff like this really gets under my skin. That's a whole other story though.

[/quote]

Exactly. But the correlation is interesting. As far as it goes. I have heard that happy young people tend to be happier later in life. Happiness leads to happiness!

This is why it is important for studies like this to be replicated, and for people to have a basic enough background in research to be able to interpret and evaluate the findings correctly.

However, who else is going to commission a study like this? Planned Parenthood? People’s individual research interests (and availability of grants and so forth) often dictate what they are researching, and this in itself does not make it a bad or biased study. I did not read the actual study, only the news article. However, peer reviewed journals don’t publish just any study; it has to be well done and be sound research.

Also, nowhere in the article did it state that waiting directly caused later happiness. The facts stated were that people who waited had higher relationship satisfaction, better communication, etc. Researchers take findings such as these and try to infer why they might be and explain the findings. One of the researchers thinks it is because people have been together long enough to work through issues in a healthy way.

All in all, it’s a really common sense study to me. But let the research speak for itself and don’t assume the study is biased.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.